The Student Room Group

We should shut down the lower ranked universities and bull courses - debate

People studying their butts off at school and sixthform to go onto hard or useful-to-the-world courses such as medicine, dentistry, oxbridge degrees (hard, perhaps some bull subjects like classics tho), UCL, Imperial, engineering, law (unless at crappy unis like Uni of East London), english at Edinburgh etc AND those studying vocational courses at college like Plumbing, Engineering AND those going into employment are suffering for people who go to study at crappy universities such as Chichester, York St Johns, Bournemouth, Reading etc, who go to uni for the sake of it when they would probably be better off doing a vocational course at college or working.

Both get funding from the state, yet if the latter group where scrapped then the money saved could help those going on to study useful and respected stuff.

Discuss
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Like classics is useless. Did the nice school people not fully explain the multiplicity and respectability of jobs you can get with a classics degree?
Reply 2
Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS
People studying their butts off at school and sixthform to go onto hard or useful-to-the-world courses such as medicine, dentistry, oxbridge degrees (hard, perhaps some bull subjects like classics tho), UCL, Imperial, engineering, law (unless at crappy unis like Uni of East London), english at Edinburgh etc AND those studying vocational courses at college like Plumbing, Engineering AND those going into employment are suffering for people who go to study at crappy universities such as Chichester, York St Johns, Bournemouth, Reading etc, who go to uni for the sake of it when they would probably be better off doing a vocational course at college or working.

Both get funding from the state, yet if the latter group where scrapped then the money saved could help those going on to study useful and respected stuff.

Discuss

So basically if you don't go to a top uni doing a top degree then you should do a vocational course? not everyone is set out to do certain degree's or even WANT to do them, and not everyone is a hands on kinda person like the vocational ****.:rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by Little Boots
Like classics is useless. Did the nice school people not fully explain the multiplicity and respectability of jobs you can get with a classics degree?

Yes I know, Classics at a respectable uni will help in getting a good career, I mean useless in terms of the actual contribution of the content to humanity.
Reply 4
One day you will grow up and realize that nobody cares about university prestige.
Yes I know, Classics at a respectable uni will help in getting a good career, I mean useless in terms of the actual contribution of the content to humanity.

Troll spotted.
Only maths,physics,chemistry,biology and medicine and engineering should be taught.
Reply 7
I don't think we should, if someone wants to further their knowledge of a particular area, does it matter whether it'll get them a job or not? A university is for those who want to learn more about a subject, doesn't necessarily have to prepare you for a job in that area.

Some people have no option but to go to those universities which are local to them. If you shut them down you're depriving people of going to university. Also think of those who would go to the middle range universities, and can no longer get an offer because it's more competitive to get into them.
Reply 8
Original post by Blazinq
So basically if you don't go to a top uni doing a top degree then you should do a vocational course? not everyone is set out to do certain degree's or even WANT to do them, and not everyone is a hands on kinda person like the vocational ****.:rolleyes:

Baby way of thinking. It is a bit elaborate to spend 3 years at uni and at a cost of 1000s a year to the tax payer just because you want to do something - buy a friggin book. 3 years is only 3 years as well, studying law at U of East London for example will most likely not lead to a good career in Law. "Vocational ****" is more respectable than some a course at some panzy uni.
Reply 9
Care to elaborate?

Stupid articles like this. Stamp on anything that in any way impacts the tax payer.

I went to York St John, I got a 2.1, from that I got a Masters Degree at Sheffield, ranked 20 on The Times ranking. And you know what, at YSJ there were lots and lots of very hard workers, and very intelligent people. So don't tar everybody with the same brush, the implication that everyone that goes to those Universities "go to uni for the sake of it when they would probably be better off doing a vocational course at college or working". I mean give me a break. A 2.1 at YSJ, one of the lowest ranked Uni's in England is still enough to get you a place in a very reputable University to go into teaching or anything. I did history and all the lecturers were great, they taught to a very high standard. So it's all well and good turning your nose up but i'll stand by my university, thank you very much.

And YSJ is a growing uni, in 20 years time it could well be a much much more reputable university. So what the hell is the logic in closing it?!

Just an ignorant, idiotic article.

Oh by the way, they teach media at Oxford. It isn't just the 'poorer' universities that teach what I presume you would perceive as useless courses.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hear hear!!
Reply 11
Original post by techno-thriller
Only maths,physics,chemistry,biology and medicine and engineering should be taught.

I hope this is sarcasm, I think English, Classics (despite my previous comments), Art, History etc should by taught but only at respectable unis. Stuff like film, media, journalism (study a friggin subject then be a journalist in that area), etc are a load of crap.
You seem to be forgetting that someone has always got to be at the bottom of a league table.... so where exactly would you stop shutting things down?

Also, one course will be always be easier than the others.

So technically, you'd end up with one course at one university.
Reply 13
Original post by techno-thriller

Why? There are plenty of other useful degrees which will get you a job in that field (which is what I assume you're trying to get at).
Pretty sure my flatmate doing English at Edinburgh doesn't think it's useful to the world.
Far from having to 'pay' for the pointless degrees of less worthy students, medical students actually get a great deal on what is a massively expensive course. International students (who are charged the real cost rather than a subsidised fee) are charged in the region of £12,000 a year for a basic arts course but £21,000 a year for medicine. Technically we are all subsidising medical students (but probably with good reason given the life saving and all.)
Reply 16
Baby way of thinking. It is a bit elaborate to spend 3 years at uni and at a cost of 1000s a year to the tax payer just because you want to do something - buy a friggin book. 3 years is only 3 years as well, studying law at U of East London for example will most likely not lead to a good career in Law. "Vocational ****" is more respectable than some a course at some panzy uni.

People have different job aspirations my friend, we don't all want to become top lawyers in the country and such, I want to be in the police so doing a course whilst gaining experience alongside it will help me a lot, so in no means will my degree from a non-top uni be worthless.
Original post by Flauta
Why? There are plenty of other useful degrees which will get you a job in that field (which is what I assume you're trying to get at).

Of course there are others which I couldn't be bothered too think about.
Reply 18

Learning just for the sake of learning can be a good thing. It's great that people who didn't try hard in school or get the best grades still want to better themselves, I'm sure most of the ones who don't take their course seriously will fail after a year and drop out.
Reply 19
Original post by Jjj90
Stupid articles like this. Stamp on anything that in any way impacts the tax payer.

I went to York St John, I got a 2.1, from that I got a Masters Degree at Sheffield, ranked 20 on The Times ranking. And you know what, at YSJ there were lots and lots of very hard workers, and very intelligent people. So don't tar everybody with the same brush, the implication that everyone that goes to those Universities "go to uni for the sake of it when they would probably be better off doing a vocational course at college or working". I mean give me a break. A 2.1 at YSJ, one of the lowest ranked Uni's in England is still enough to get you a place in a very reputable University to go into teaching or anything. I did history and all the lecturers were great, they taught to a very high standard. So it's all well and good turning your nose up but i'll stand by my university, thank you very much.

And YSJ is a growing uni, in 20 years time it could well be a much much more reputable university. So what the hell is the logic in closing it?!

Just an ignorant, idiotic article.

Oh by the way, they teach media at Oxford. It isn't just the 'poorer' universities that teach what I presume you would perceive as useless courses.

Maybe they would have got into a better uni then.
Yes but at a lot more intellectual and relevant standard with good research.

Latest

Trending

Trending