The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Some want to do it and others don't. It's their choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OneDayDoctor
You seem to be forgetting that someone has always got to be at the bottom of a league table.... so where exactly would you stop shutting things down?

Also, one course will be always be easier than the others.

So technically, you'd end up with one course at one university.

The thing is that graduate recruiters are still non-selective - any 2:1 is cool, they say. This is unfair on those who did a hard course at a top uni and only got a 2:2. It is a dilution of power.

Still, I think if graduate recruiters were to restrict their subject intake, as some of the more technical ones do, I think we would need to move to a major/minor system so people can refocus their degrees and not be saddled with the same poor choice they made at 17.
Reply 22
Original post by alow
Learning just for the sake of learning can be a good thing. It's great that people who didn't try hard in school or get the best grades still want to better themselves, I'm sure most of the ones who don't take their course seriously will fail after a year and drop out.

Yea, read a book then. Don't waste years and tax payers money. The learning at some institutions is dwarfed by others
Reply 23
Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS
Yea, read a book then. Don't waste years and tax payers money. The learning at some institutions is dwarfed by others

It's not that easy to learn everything from a book. I'm happy with the tax I pay going to help education, I'd much reather spend more on education and less on defense, etc.

Why are you being such a snob?
Reply 24
Original post by Blazinq
People have different job aspirations my friend, we don't all want to become top lawyers in the country and such, I want to be in the police so doing a course whilst gaining experience alongside it will help me a lot, so in no means will my degree from a non-top uni be worthless.

But if non-top unis were scrapped it would not help you - it will be so irrelevent to a career in policing, yea you may blab and bull about transferable skills, but you could have learnt those in a job etc. A lot of people go to uni because they don't feel ready to work - well man up.
Reply 25
No, we shouldn't, end of.
Reply 26
Maybe they would have got into a better uni then.
Yes but at a lot more intellectual and relevant standard with good research.

Some people DO get into 'better' uni's but DECIDE to go elsewhere for a range of reasons! I could have gone to Lincoln or Northumbria, but I chose not to.

So yeah, lets just shut every university that doesn't suit your standards. Rip the heart out of a ton of towns (to save money of course, students contribute nothing to the economy), be left with next to no choice in the North of England. A glut in the South. Because we need to cut back, yeah, of course we do!

Are you an idiot?

Hah, it would be nice to know which Uni you went to!
Reply 27
Original post by OneDayDoctor
You seem to be forgetting that someone has always got to be at the bottom of a league table.... so where exactly would you stop shutting things down?

Also, one course will be always be easier than the others.

So technically, you'd end up with one course at one university.

True, but those at the bottom need not be worth so little. The value of a degree has declined.
Reply 28
Original post by Jjj90
Some people DO get into 'better' uni's but DECIDE to go elsewhere for a range of reasons! I could have gone to Lincoln or Northumbria, but I chose not to.

So yeah, lets just shut every university that doesn't suit your standards. Rip the heart out of a ton of towns (to save money of course, students contribute nothing to the economy), be left with next to no choice in the North of England. A glut in the South. Because we need to cut back, yeah, of course we do!

Are you an idiot?

Hah, it would be nice to know which Uni you went to!

Also crap

Well why not just pay money to the locals directly. A town based on little substance is not worth saving.
Reply 29
But if non-top unis were scrapped it would not help you - it will be so irrelevent to a career in policing, yea you may blab and bull about transferable skills, but you could have learnt those in a job etc. A lot of people go to uni because they don't feel ready to work - well man up.

As I said, I would be working alongside my studies:rolleyes: If non-top unis were scrapped then of course it wouldn't help me? the uni wouldn't be there to go to?
Reply 30
Original post by alow
It's not that easy to learn everything from a book. I'm happy with the tax I pay going to help education, I'd much reather spend more on education and less on defense, etc.

Why are you being such a snob?

So is it the interest in the subject driving you, which would mean you would have sufficent motivation and dicipline to learn from a book, or the easier life and fun of uni?
Reply 31
What did you do your degree in, Mr Troll
Reply 32
Original post by Blazinq
As I said, I would be working alongside my studies:rolleyes: If non-top unis were scrapped then of course it wouldn't help me? the uni wouldn't be there to go to?

I mean help in terms of competing with other applicants. It would be more beneficial for society and you to work full time instead.
Reply 33
Not gaining a degree in today's society can really limit you, in finance. It's going to be hard without a degree to gain 30k+ a year, by no means does a degree entitle you to 30k+ a year, but it can and most probably will help.
Reply 34
Also crap

Well why not just pay money to the locals directly. A town based on little substance is not worth saving.

Yes! Lets pay the locals because they... live! That'll save us money! ... that wasthe point of your ludicrous suggestion wasn't it? To save money?

What are you actually talking about...?

What university DID you go to?? I want to know. Is this a superiority complex? Or are you just one of those "oh well I pay tax! I've got a ****ty dead end job! I can tell everyone else how to live!" types?
Reply 35
Original post by scrotgrot
The thing is that graduate recruiters are still non-selective - any 2:1 is cool, they say. This is unfair on those who did a hard course at a top uni and only got a 2:2. It is a dilution of power.

Why is that unfair? As employers they clearly don't think a "hard course at a top uni" is any more beneficial to them when looking for a graduate than any other course. Stop trying to defend your education when you've basically just proved it isn't as worthwhile as you thought.
Reply 36
Original post by techno-thriller
Of course there are others which I couldn't be bothered too think about.

I'm not talking about other STEM courses. Subject like music for instance, if you get into a top conservatoire the graduate prospects are unparalleled by anywhere else.
Reply 37
Original post by Blazinq
What did you do your degree in, Mr Troll

Food Studies at University of Central Lancashire.
Reply 38
I mean help in terms of competing with other applicants. It would be more beneficial for society and you to work full time instead.

Working full-time in a minimum wage job? no thanks. How do you know that after my degree I don't want to peruse a masters? providing I get the grades etc, I could go to a "top uni" to do my masters.
Reply 39
What you're forgetting is than some unis that are low ranked overall, might have one department that is one of the best in the country. So within the industry, people graduating from such uni are respected by employers. Unis add loads to the economy anyway. What does it matter if people do mickey mouse degrees, there's not enough jobs for everyone, so it gives them something to do. Plus think of all the money spent by students, especially international students, that wouldn't be spent if such unis/courses weren't ran. Employers can see which applicants were on a worthwhile course.

Latest

Trending

Trending