The Student Room Group

Does the retainer after braces close gap(s) between front teeth?

I've just had my braces taken off today over a year early and rather unexpectedly. I was really pleased with how they look, apart from a small gap that has emerged between my two front teeth since having braces. It's really frustrating because, whilst I am very pleased to have such straight teeth, I now have a fairly noticeable gap between my two front teeth that is making me similarly insecure as I was before I had them in the first place!

I am confident that the retainers afterwards must be able to close this gap, because otherwise I have no idea why my orthodontist took out my braces leaving a tiny error with my teeth. So I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance here as I am going slightly mad right now!

Does anyone have any experience that can confirm this? I am rather worried. :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Endless Blue
I've just had my braces taken off today over a year early and rather unexpectedly. I was really pleased with how they look, apart from a small gap that has emerged between my two front teeth since having braces. It's really frustrating because, whilst I am very pleased to have such straight teeth, I now have a fairly noticeable gap between my two front teeth that is making me similarly insecure as I was before I had them in the first place!

I am confident that the retainers afterwards must be able to close this gap, because otherwise I have no idea why my orthodontist took out my braces leaving a tiny error with my teeth. So I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance here as I am going slightly mad right now!

Does anyone have any experience that can confirm this? I am rather worried. :redface:

The retainers will close the gap up if you wear them as long as you can. I wore them for a year and I went from bugs bunny to straight teeth :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
The retainers will close the gap up if you wear them as long as you can. I wore them for a year and I went from bugs bunny to straight teeth :smile:

Ah, thanks. This is reassuring at least. So how long does it take for them to close the gap? I'm really confused because I thought the braces did all the work and the retainer just held the teeth in place? :confused: Also, just to clarify, we are talking about the same kind of retainers, yes? I.e the ones after having braces, not just the ones I think you can get alone.
Ah, thanks. This is reassuring at least. So how long does it take for them to close the gap? I'm really confused because I thought the braces did all the work and the retainer just held the teeth in place? :confused: Also, just to clarify, we are talking about the same kind of retainers, yes? I.e the ones after having braces, not just the ones I think you can get alone.

Depends how long and often you wear them for. Mine closed after 5 months of wearing it regularly. Yeah I mean the ones after braces
Reply 4
Depends how long and often you wear them for. Mine closed after 5 months of wearing it regularly. Yeah I mean the ones after braces

Ok, thanks. It just seems odd that they don't do it with the braces, but I have my retainer fitting next week so hopefully my orthodontist will explain it all then. Is it also a problem not wearing a retainer for the week or so after your braces have been removed?
Ok, thanks. It just seems odd that they don't do it with the braces, but I have my retainer fitting next week so hopefully my orthodontist will explain it all then. Is it also a problem not wearing a retainer for the week or so after your braces have been removed?

Only a few days. First time round means wearing them is essential
Reply 6
Only a few days. First time round means wearing them is essential

Yeah, I'll wear them as much as possible once I get them - especially if they'll close this damn gap up! But that isn't until next Friday, so hopefully my teeth will behave until then...
They keep your teeth where they are not straighten
Yeah, I'll wear them as much as possible once I get them - especially if they'll close this damn gap up! But that isn't until next Friday, so hopefully my teeth will behave until then...

haha they will! Afterwards you only wear them at night then after a few months you wear them nightly like 3 times a week and you only go back to the dentist to get them tightened
Reply 9
haha they will! Afterwards you only wear them at night then after a few months you wear them nightly like 3 times a week and you only go back to the dentist to get them tightened

Thanks for your help. Agh, I just can't wait to get this going now and finally get the teeth I went through all this for!
Thanks for your help. Agh, I just can't wait to get this going now and finally get the teeth I went through all this for!

Dmi! Good luck!
Reply 11

Are you sure? Because the job of the retainer it not to straighten teeth, that's the job of the brace. The retainer is to keep them straight.

I have the same problem. I got my retainers 2 weeks ago, and i have a small gap between the front two teeth. However, i'm not sure if the retainer will close the gap.
Original post by Kill3er
Are you sure? Because the job of the retainer it not to straighten teeth, that's the job of the brace. The retainer is to keep them straight.

I have the same problem. I got my retainers 2 weeks ago, and i have a small gap between the front two teeth. However, i'm not sure if the retainer will close the gap.

It actually helps. Depends on how often you choose to wear it
Reply 13
It actually helps. Depends on how often you choose to wear it

Orthodontist said 3 months full time (except eating/drinking), 3 months just at night and then 2 nights a week.

Invisible_Retainers.JPG
These ones, right?
Original post by Kill3er
Orthodontist said 3 months full time (except eating/drinking), 3 months just at night and then 2 nights a week.

Invisible_Retainers.JPG
These ones, right?

I had ones with wires at the back :/
Reply 15
I had ones with wires at the back :/

Ah, so the bonded retainers?

Bonded Retainers
These are small wires that are glued to the back of teeth to prevent them moving after the braces have been removed. They are generally only used in areas where relapse is most likely as they can be difficult to clean around and time consuming and expensive to repair if they break.

Retainers
These are thin clear plastic splints that are provided after we remove the braces. They are worn full time for the first three months and then night time only for another three months or so to hold the new position of the teeth. They are clear, see through appliances and are very easy to wear and can hardly be seen when in place.

Does the OP know which he'll be getting?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kill3er

Bonded Retainers
These are small wires that are glued to the back of teeth to prevent them moving after the braces have been removed. They are generally only used in areas where relapse is most likely as they can be difficult to clean around and time consuming and expensive to repair if they break.

Retainers
These are thin clear plastic splints that are provided after we remove the braces. They are worn full time for the first three months and then night time only for another three months or so to hold the new position of the teeth. They are clear, see through appliances and are very easy to wear and can hardly be seen when in place.

Does the OP now which she'll be getting?

yeah I had bonded ones..I don't know ask her
Reply 17

What? So, did you have a gap in your teeth before you had braces?
Original post by SoftPunch
What? So, did you have a gap in your teeth before you had braces?

Nope. Certainly nothing like the one I have now. The thing is, it developed as my treatment progressed; it was only really noticeable within the last few months. I thought that they would close it back up but today he said "right, let's take them of then" and it all happened rather quickly. If the retainer doesn't fix this, I will protest and hopefully see if I can get another top train track fitted for a few months or something. It's a really small gap but it's definitely noticeable and I hate it! But my logic is this: if the gap wasn't there in the first place, they can surely close it?
Original post by Kill3er

Bonded Retainers

Retainers

Does the OP know which he'll be getting?

I suspect it's the latter. Therefore, I guess I'm going to have to see if I can get train tracks again if I want this gap closed? :frown: I'm not even sure they will do it as my treatment's on the NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest