The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Blazinq
Not gaining a degree in today's society can really limit you, in finance. It's going to be hard without a degree to gain 30k+ a year, by no means does a degree entitle you to 30k+ a year, but it can and most probably will help.

Which is why the lower ranked unis and bull courses should be scrapped as it is becoming a like minimum entry requirement when it shouldn't. I don't believe 30k salaries should be so much less probable to those without a degree.

EDIT: I would go to a lesser ranked uni if I had no choice because of this sate of affairs, but I am saying they still should be scrapped.
Reply 41
Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS
Food Studies at University of Central Lancashire.

Your attempt to troll, though I wouldn't doubt that.

Would like to say my mum had to do a degree in order to be promoted to a higher position in her job, so she went to the nearest university that does the subject, which was Salford, which isn't the best university, but she needed to go their, and was guaranteed a raise in her pay etc, so yeah:biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by nic-nac
What you're forgetting is than some unis that are low ranked overall, might have one department that is one of the best in the country. So within the industry, people graduating from such uni are respected by employers. Unis add loads to the economy anyway. What does it matter if people do mickey mouse degrees, there's not enough jobs for everyone, so it gives them something to do. Plus think of all the money spent by students, especially international students, that wouldn't be spent if such unis/courses weren't ran. Employers can see which applicants were on a worthwhile course.

I do believe international students should be utilised for the money of their parents, or (hopefully not, poor souls) their own.
Reply 43
Original post by Blazinq

Would like to say my mum had to do a degree in order to be promoted to a higher position in her job, so she went to the nearest university that does the subject, which was Salford, which isn't the best university, but she needed to go their, and was guaranteed a raise in her pay etc, so yeah:biggrin:

how much was the pay increase?
Reply 44
Original post by Blazinq

And I would do the same, but it shouldn't be like that, and it would be less like that if the lower ranked unis and courses where scrapped.
Reply 45
Which is why the lower ranked unis and bull courses should be scrapped as it is becoming a like minimum entry requirement when it shouldn't. I don't believe 30k salaries should be so much less probable to those without a degree.

EDIT: I would go to a lesser ranked uni if I had no choice because of this sate of affairs, but I am saying they still should be scrapped.

So then the only people who will get into university will be the internationals because of the tuition fee's on them, and people with A*A*A*-AAA. Which is hysterical, especially if someone gained an A* in their chosen university subject, but only got, say BB in the other two.
Reply 46
Original post by Jjj90

Oh by the way, they teach media at Oxford. It isn't just the 'poorer' universities that teach what I presume you would perceive as useless courses.

No.
Reply 47
Original post by Blazinq
Working full-time in a minimum wage job? no thanks. How do you know that after my degree I don't want to peruse a masters? providing I get the grades etc, I could go to a "top uni" to do my masters.

So university is your shelter from the harsh realities of the world.
Reply 48
Original post by tehforum
how much was the pay increase?

roughly 6k, but probably will go up more as she stays longer in her new role.
Reply 49
Original post by KingKumar
No.

Yes.
Reply 50
Original post by Blazinq
So then the only people who will get into university will be the internationals because of the tuition fee's on them, and people with A*A*A*-AAA. Which is hysterical, especially if someone gained an A* in their chosen university subject, but only got, say BB in the other two.

It is hysterical, but at least it doesn't just prolong the hysteria and crap - such as jobs requiring a degree for promotion when it probably adds little (it may be an area where it does add a significant thing, but for a lot of jobs it doesn't)
Reply 51
So university is your shelter from the harsh realities of the world.

Working full-time will not get me any further to my dream job than a university degree.
People studying their butts off at school and sixthform to go onto hard or useful-to-the-world courses such as medicine, dentistry, oxbridge degrees (hard, perhaps some bull subjects like classics tho), UCL, Imperial, engineering, law (unless at crappy unis like Uni of East London), english at Edinburgh etc AND those studying vocational courses at college like Plumbing, Engineering AND those going into employment are suffering for people who go to study at crappy universities such as Chichester, York St Johns, Bournemouth, Reading etc, who go to uni for the sake of it when they would probably be better off doing a vocational course at college or working.

Both get funding from the state, yet if the latter group where scrapped then the money saved could help those going on to study useful and respected stuff.

Discuss

Mate my brother went to a so called crap uni and now he's the director of operations at a newspaper in Tokyo..Yeah his life really screwed up
Reply 53
Original post by Boner in joggers
Pretty sure my flatmate doing English at Edinburgh doesn't think it's useful to the world.

Ya but it is hard and respected.
Reply 54
Original post by Jjj90
Yes.

You're either an idiot or have gotten confused between Oxford and Oxford Brookes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
It is hysterical, but at least it doesn't just prolong the hysteria and crap - such as jobs requiring a degree for promotion when it probably adds little (it may be an area where it does add a significant thing, but for a lot of jobs it doesn't)

What if them jobs, a degree is needed, because of the context that you learn from university, will be required in that designated role.

What subjects are exactly mickey mouse degrees anyway? My cousin does Business (which People say is a mickey mouse degree) at a top university.
Reply 56
Original post by Blazinq
Working full-time will not get me any further to my dream job than a university degree.

The uni degree will not either if it is a mickey mouse one. And part of the reason, if uni will help, is BECAUSE there is so many degrees about - you need it for the competition.
Reply 57
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Mate my brother went to a so called crap uni and now he's the director of operations at a newspaper in Tokyo..Yeah his life really screwed up

Well done, you found an exception to the great majority. Has his degree helped him be better (ignoring the fact it may help in terms of competition)? I suspect his actions in work after his degree has contributed more to him getting to his current position.
OP's post is so ironic I can't stop laughing.

What the OP's trying to say is to close lower ranked unis because they don't prepare you for a job, and prior to that mentions how some people work their butts off for Oxbridge degrees.

Hilarious oxymoron there, as Oxbridge is academic and does not in any way prepare you for a job/real life like other unis do. The only golden triangle uni that prepares you for life is Imperial College London.

All in all, to use Oxbridge as an example in the OP was a really bad idea lololol.
These threads anger me so much. Let people get on with their lives without criticising such ridiculous things. For a start, some 'lower ranking' universities are much better than some of the 'higher ranking' universities. One example is Edge Hill, which is an excellent university for areas such as teaching. Plus league tables aren't everything, people need to stop putting so much weight on them. As for subject choice, everyone has different interests, and I do apologise on behalf of anyone who goes to university to study something they thoroughly enjoy. :rolleyes: I couldn't care less about what people think of my choices as it won't affect them in any way, and I'll be happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending