The Student Room Group

Please help. Urgently need advice. What if conditional offer is not met by the deadli

hi

I am an international student. Just received an email from my uni... I need to send them my Ielts test results next week. The problem is im taking the test next month - Dec. 12th. I have a conditional offer from my Uni, and the condition is to pass this test.
How flexible are Unis? It's MSC.
Reply 1
Original post by bobby26
hi

I am an international student. Just received an email from my uni... I need to send them my Ielts test results next week. The problem is im taking the test next month - Dec. 12th. I have a conditional offer from my Uni, and the condition is to pass this test.

Flexibility depends on the people operating the admissions for the department. Were they expecting you to take it earlier? Have you had to postpone taking the test? Try just emailing/ringing to explain when the test is booked - and meanwhile check whether you can take an earlier test at your centre or elsewhere (there may be a slot from a cancellation?)
Reply 2
thank you. the thing is, im not sure its possible to take this test earlier. the results will be send to me 13 days later- so i will know if ive passed the test around Christmas (i think this should not be problematic to pass the test). ive written to my uni (in October) and stated ill do the test in November but had to postpone it. I had not notified my uni about this. so its my fault. i was a bit nervous about taking this test and ... well its my fault really. I just hope they will understand.

ONE MORE THING... this has also been stated as part of my conditional offer
receipt of a satisfactory academic reference

This was already sent to them via ucas... should this be printed on paper and send manually?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
When do you start your course? If you can get everything in place before you start that is likely to be fine (UK universities have to get large numbers sorted before results at the end of August and the undergraduate courses starting in Sept/Oct, so they are used to working quickly), but you do need to contact them as soon as possible to check about the reference, and to give them an update on the date for your IELTS test result. Try not to worry in the meantime?
The conditions of an offer have to be met by August 31st before the term starts in September. You have plenty of time. Don't worry.
Reply 5
yes but my course starts on feb 10th 2014. so i sure hope this will not hinder my admission. thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bobby26
yes but my course starts on feb 10th 2014. so i sure hope this will not hinder my admission. thank you

I see. Where is it? This is unusual, so you will have to talk to the university directly and explain your situation.
Reply 7
its in scotland. sure hope they will understand.
Reply 8
Original post by bobby26
its in scotland. sure hope they will understand.

Hopefully it will be fine, you want to do the course, they would like you to do it, you just need the evidence in place.
Reply 9
Original post by carnationlilyrose
The conditions of an offer have to be met by August 31st before the term starts in September. You have plenty of time. Don't worry.

thats for undergraduate admissions, this applicant is a postgrad
Reply 10
Have you contacted the university to say you will not be taking the test until after the deadline?
As the others said the best thing to do is to email them and let them know when you will take the test... However, why don't you try taking another test in the meantime? Can you take for example the TOEFL iBT before the IELTS?
Original post by bobby26
hi

A student willing to pay international fee's to study a one years Master course, I don't see why they wouldn't be leniant. I'd recommend email/calling them explaining your predicament.
well you can either explain that you postponed it ,just forgot to tell them and hope there understanding or you can just take a gap year
Reply 14
thank you for all your replies.
Ill email the uni tomorrow morning and hope they will understand. i cant take this test before Dec. 12th because it's fully booked and toefl test date is set a few days later than Ielts in Dec. I did not know I need to apply for this test a month and a half before the test date.
but because the course starts in feb 2014 i hope they will be willing to turn a blind eye. I mean i really really really would like to start the course in feb 2014. Love the course and love the uni so it would be a real bummer if i would have to take a gap year. I am en eu student, so i will pay eu/uk fees.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
thats for undergraduate admissions, this applicant is a postgrad

Yes, that dawned on me a while after I posted. I meant to go back and add something but forgot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending