The Student Room Group

Good Choice of A-levels??

heyy, im in year 11 and i am planing on choosing Maths, Further Maths, Spanish and Biology?
In GCSEs i am targeted an a* in maths and spanish and an a in biology although i have get a* in all tests i have done in biology.
I feel it will be good for me but i want to know if the courses are worthwhile and enjoyable?xxxx:colondollar:
Original post by Icesk8ing97
heyy, im in year 11 and i am planing on choosing Maths, Further Maths, Spanish and Biology?
In GCSEs i am targeted an a* in maths and spanish and an a in biology although i have get a* in all tests i have done in biology.
I feel it will be good for me but i want to know if the courses are worthwhile and enjoyable?xxxx:colondollar:

They sound like a great combination :h: And biology is amazing :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great balance! Mine's Maths,Further Maths,Physics and German though :biggrin: xxxx
Sounds great :smile: What do you want to do after A levels? Bear in mind that some Biology (or related) degrees actually require Chemistry over Biology - make sure the courses you are interested in will accept your A level combination. If you're not sure, I would advise swapping Biology for Chemistry just because it keeps more options open :smile:
I would say that all your subjects are worthwhile and enjoyable! Maths and Further Maths are really highly valued by universities and employers, and keep open options such as Maths, Physics, Economics, Finance, etc. degrees. Maths should be fairly simple compared to Further Maths and so you shouldn't have too much work - in fact you may want to consider taking an additional A level since a few universities only consider the combination of Maths and Further Maths as a single subject because Further Maths makes Maths so much easier. (chemistry... chemistry... chemistry... :tongue:)
Languages are also incredibly useful and valued. I did French AS and really enjoyed it - it was the only subject where chatting for the whole lesson about what you did at the weekend was encouraged! It was also a nice balance to my more science-y subjects :smile:
Biology is really interesting too :smile: You get to do lots more practicals than at GCSE and the theory is explained to you much more, so you really understand what is going on which is nice :smile: As mentioned earlier, Chemistry would probably keep a few more options open, but Biology is still a highly respected and valued subject :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Sounds great :smile: What do you want to do after A levels? Bear in mind that some Biology (or related) degrees actually require Chemistry over Biology - make sure the courses you are interested in will accept your A level combination. If you're not sure, I would advise swapping Biology for Chemistry just because it keeps more options open :smile:
I would say that all your subjects are worthwhile and enjoyable! Maths and Further Maths are really highly valued by universities and employers, and keep open options such as Maths, Physics, Economics, Finance, etc. degrees. Maths should be fairly simple compared to Further Maths and so you shouldn't have too much work - in fact you may want to consider taking an additional A level since a few universities only consider the combination of Maths and Further Maths as a single subject because Further Maths makes Maths so much easier. (chemistry... chemistry... chemistry... :tongue:)
Languages are also incredibly useful and valued. I did French AS and really enjoyed it - it was the only subject where chatting for the whole lesson about what you did at the weekend was encouraged! It was also a nice balance to my more science-y subjects :smile:
Biology is really interesting too :smile: You get to do lots more practicals than at GCSE and the theory is explained to you much more, so you really understand what is going on which is nice :smile: As mentioned earlier, Chemistry would probably keep a few more options open, but Biology is still a highly respected and valued subject :smile:

something tells me you love chemistry ahah :wink: well i am not good at chemistry really and i dont enjoy it.... but i have 2 uni courses i wanna do maths and mfl or maths and human biology....either one but was thinking on deciding when i get to yr13 to see whihc ones i like more!xxxxx
something tells me you love chemistry ahah :wink: well i am not good at chemistry really and i dont enjoy it.... but i have 2 uni courses i wanna do maths and mfl or maths and human biology....either one but was thinking on deciding when i get to yr13 to see whihc ones i like more!xxxxx

That's a shame :'( Chemistry is really cool at A level... We got to blow stuff up :colondollar:
Have you also considered Physics - some unis list is as recommended or preferred as the third A level for Maths degrees... Make sure you double check the human biology requirements in case anywhere requires Chemistry :smile:
When I started sixth form I also had Maths as a potential degree in mind. However, I soon began to really enjoy some of my more practical subjects and not so much maths! If you think that you are likely to change your mind at all, I would suggest trying out another science subject as a 5th AS level just for the first term (if your school lets you, I guess some might have timetable issues) - just to see if you like it and to keep a few options open. Of course, if the workload is too much or you really don't enjoy it you can easily drop it, but it could be that you find you hate Spanish and chose to drop that instead - i.e. you are giving yourself a little more flexibility. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest