The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dan92pne
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a reference conundrum and I'd appreciate some words of wisdom.

I'm applying to do a PGCE in Secondary History and basically I'm in two minds as to who to ask for my non-academic reference. Do I ask the head of the History Dept at the secondary school where I did my observations or the year 6 teacher at the primary school where I did likewise.

I realise this seems like a no brainer at first glance but hear me out. So although a reference from the head of history in a secondary is far more relevant, the placement was literally just observations from which you can only learn so much. For whatever reason, she was more reluctant to let me get involved in lessons and so in that way the placement was somewhat limited. Also since my placement, the school tragically burnt down. As a result I imagine things are a bit chaotic for her at the moment and probably the last thing on her list of priorities is writing me a reference!

On the other hand the placement in a year 6 class at a primary was much more hands on. I was essentially a volunteer TA for three weeks. The teacher and I got on really well and he even asked me to stay on a week longer than first agreed. So I'm confident he would give me a really great reference, but obviously less relevant.

So my question is, which do I go for? More relevant, but potentially a more average reference or less relevant and a glowing reference?

P.S. I'm aware that in both cases it would involve me asking the teacher to write the reference and then have it signed off by the head.

Thanks in advance

Dan

I'd go secondary too. Even though I'm sure you had a wonderful experience in the primary school and that the reference would be excellent, it doesn't actually demonstrate that you've had any experience of Secondary History lessons. Which at the end of the day is what you're applying for. History is so competitive I wouldn't risk giving them any reason whatsoever to reject your application.
Does anyone know whether referees get to see what unis you've applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by claired33
Does anyone know if applications will open at 9am, or later in the day? I only have a half day leave to take from work and I'm wondering whether to take it morning or afternoon in order to get my application submitted ASAP.

Thanks!

From memory the system opened about half 10 last year but kept crashing and re opened the next day. So to be honest I wouldn't expect to get anything done on the 21st, especially in the morning!
Reply 1143
Original post by Esmeralda4
I'm getting a bit worried about my non- academic reference. The teacher I have done the majority of my work experience/volunteering with has gone on maternity leave and the headteacher has recently changed so the new one doesn't even know me. Do you think I would be best still getting a reference from the school (my placement there is ongoing) or from my manager at work (I work with children and young people so not totally unrelated)?

I guess if you just asked them they might be able to still give you one especially if your placement is ongoing. I do think your job would be better but then gaining a reference from a school may be preferred and kind of proves that you've done work experience etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1144
Original post by Descartes93
Guys I am having a slight problem - my non-academic reference is the Head of English at the school I observed at - he actually asked to be a referee so I know he would be great, but does this collide with UCAS's regulations of it having to be from a Headteacher?

Thanks

Judging from a post above, where a user commented about what they were told by UCAS, it seems the regulation is actually UCAS acting on behalf of unis.

The poster said they were told by UCAS to check with unis whether it's acceptable. Which to me implies that UCAS don't care what you do as long as the uni is happy with it. Of course I could be wrong, and the person at UCAS giving that advice could be wrong. But if the uni said it's fine that would be my main concern.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Judging from a post above, where a user commented about what they were told by UCAS, it seems the regulation is actually UCAS acting on behalf of unis.

The poster said they were told by UCAS to check with unis whether it's acceptable. Which to me implies that UCAS don't care what you do as long as the uni is happy with it. Of course I could be wrong, and the person at UCAS giving that advice could be wrong. But if the uni said it's fine that would be my main concern.

xxx

Thank you for your reply and help. Just to be on the safe side I emailed my teacher and asked if he could get the headteacher to sign it and he agreed! BIG sigh of relief!! I'm getting so nervous now...especially after hearing the horror stories on how UCAS almost always crashes!!!
Reply 1146
Original post by Descartes93
Thank you for your reply and help. Just to be on the safe side I emailed my teacher and asked if he could get the headteacher to sign it and he agreed! BIG sigh of relief!! I'm getting so nervous now...especially after hearing the horror stories on how UCAS almost always crashes!!!

If it helps keep you calm I didn't even apply until a week or two after it opened (did my PGCE last year) and I got on! Obviously there are changes which may increase demand this year, and it's always best to get it done ASAP. But as long as you have it ready for the day then editing the statement/entering the info shouldn't delay you too much. And panicking certainly won't help anyway!

xxx
Original post by Shelly_x
The UCAS course search shows the unis that are running the course this year. There is a link to it a fee posts back. If you've already decided where you want to apply then that's fine. You don't need to get worried about it.

Aww..shelly..u r an angel.. Muuaaah...yeah I've decided and chosen my 3uni options... So I think I don't need to look..unless n until I might have to do it for Apply 2.
Reply 1148
If I apply for early years primary, would it limit me from teaching key stage 2 or is it just like a special focus on EYFS and ks1? So I'd still be able to apply for any primary year group job? Or would it mean starting teaching within those age range EYFS and ks1 and then once I've had proper work experience as a qualified teacher , being able to move up to ks2? I think the highest Id want to go up would be year 3 or 4..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wildrover
I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't any Universities within a reasonable commute of my home that are offering the PGCE this year. It means I'm going to have to live away form home again and may decrease my chances of getting a job in the future. Does anyone know if PGCE students are generally allowed in halls?

Usually unis have specific halls for postgraduates. Especially the bigger ones.
Original post by claired33
Does anyone know if applications will open at 9am, or later in the day? I only have a half day leave to take from work and I'm wondering whether to take it morning or afternoon in order to get my application submitted ASAP.

Thanks!

Its basically completely random when it will open. Last years opened early on but it kept crashing and nobody could get on it. If I were you I'd just wait until you get home from work and save your holidays.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fabay
If I apply for early years primary, would it limit me from teaching key stage 2 or is it just like a special focus on EYFS and ks1? So I'd still be able to apply for any primary year group job? Or would it mean starting teaching within those age range EYFS and ks1 and then once I've had proper work experience as a qualified teacher , being able to move up to ks2? I think the highest Id want to go up would be year 3 or 4..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once you've gained QTS you can teach any age or subject, you just need to persuade someone to let you.
Once you've gained QTS you can teach any age or subject, you just need to persuade someone to let you.

Love you, Shelly! :kissing2:

This is really awesome! I am planning to teach MFL but I was also considering Computing. So I guess as long as I have the relevant knowledge and experience, officially it does not really matter if my PGCE/degree were related to Computing. This is good news!
Usually unis have specific halls for postgraduates. Especially the bigger ones.

I like this. :smile: But surely, if there are few PGCE students is financially viable to make halls for them?
The sheer amount of things you have to consider when planning just one lesson.
Planning successful and useful lessons is pretty hard.
The filing and constant paperwork you need to keep on top of - alongside the uni assignments.
The exhaustion you feel when constantly trying to reach targets, show you're progressing and getting to grips with planning etc.
The individual problems that arise with children, especially if you are assigned a form. In the last week we had at least 10 serious issues arise in two days.

examples?
Original post by Juichiro
I like this. :smile: But surely, if there are few PGCE students is financially viable to make halls for them?

I said postgraduate halls, not just PGCE. So that'd be things like MA and PhD students too :smile:
examples?

Due to child protection laws I can't really specify in too much detail :redface:
Things such as instances of bullying (or at least issues that could build up to a serious case of bullying), medical issues, sending intimate photos to other people are all things you're likely to encounter in a secondary school though.
In my year 7 form we've had to have four restorative practice sessions with students to sort out some serious issues that have happened between them.
Reply 1157
Love you, Shelly! :kissing2:

This is really awesome! I am planning to teach MFL but I was also considering Computing. So I guess as long as I have the relevant knowledge and experience, officially it does not really matter if my PGCE/degree were related to Computing. This is good news!

Yes, in theory. You do meet teachers who switch between primary and secondary too. But obviously you'd have to be able to convince them you have what's required and are a better candidate than those trained. Plus its generally the kind of thing you might do after a few years experience in the subject you trained for.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I said postgraduate halls, not just PGCE. So that'd be things like MA and PhD students too :smile:

That's awesome. Getting to know other postgraduates and stuff. :smile:
Reply 1159
Original post by Fabay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adding on to what Shelly said, specifically for primary you get many schools that will move their teachers around quite a lot.

Also if you plan on working in Scotland check the course is recognised there... My unis eyfs PGCE isn't for some reason, despite getting QTS. Not sure if this is course specific or is a general thing for early years and KS1 pgces.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending