The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni without knowing my predicted grades?!

I want to apply for Uni cause all my year a virtually doing it. My PS is "perfect" as my sixth form tutor said so herself... After 14 attempts and numerous hours redrafting it I'm pleased with it. It's been ready for a month now but the problem is I'm predicted an A for English Language and a B for Literature but I have (sort of) got my predicted grade for RE...

My Ethics teacher said he would easily predict me a B, but my philosophy teacher wants to predict me a C and she has more control over him...
So right at this present moment in time, it's standing at a C.. but I don't want it at a C. I got an A (98/100) on MY PHILOSOPHY paper in my AS exam and she still predicted a C which just isn't fair to be honest!

I'm apply to BCC-BBB universities so my question is should I still apply (as in the "pay/send" section of UCAS) or shall I wait until Monday to see my Philo teacher to 'force' her to change my grade to a B?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Talk to your teacher about it. If that doesn't work have a discussion with the head of sixth form. Don't go crazy shouting on it, as it's not the way to do it.

I'm presuming you got a B at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
you want to study philosophy? And where?
Original post by Aniaa
you want to study philosophy? And where?

No, sorry - I want to study English Language and English Literature at uni.

I want to go to Uni of Essex, Swansea Uni, Edge Hill, Nottingham Trent and Uni of Chester OR Uni of Chichester but I can't decide on the two! :/
Original post by Jkizer
Talk to your teacher about it. If that doesn't work have a discussion with the head of sixth form. Don't go crazy shouting on it, as it's not the way to do it.

I'm presuming you got a B at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a C, I'm resitting Ethics because I was ill a lot so yeah. My im is to get a B in the AS, then that should get me an A automatically. Even if I get a B or C I would get a B overall then aim for C's at A2 'cause it's harder obviously
Reply 5
Original post by Cool_JordH
No, sorry - I want to study English Language and English Literature at uni.

I want to go to Uni of Essex, Swansea Uni, Edge Hill, Nottingham Trent and Uni of Chester OR Uni of Chichester but I can't decide on the two! :/

I know it may sound lame but I think that English is relatively easy subject so you shouldnt have any problems in getting into uni!!
Original post by Aniaa
I know it may sound lame but I think that English is relatively easy subject so you shouldnt have any problems in getting into uni!!

English is one of the most oversubscribed courses there is.
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
English is one of the most oversubscribed courses there is.

so is medicine.
Original post by Aniaa
so is medicine.

Yes, it is. Your point is?
Reply 9
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes, it is. Your point is?

that it is still easier to study English.
Original post by Aniaa
that it is still easier to study English.

Debatable to be fair. Some scientists wouldn't know how to write an essay, or be able to psycho-analyse a Gothic text. Then again, some English students wouldn't know how to do all the things you do in medicine.

They are two different subjects that require different skills to be honest.

We can't be all good at everything!
Debatable to be fair. Some scientists wouldn't know how to write an essay, or be able to psycho-analyse a Gothic text. Then again, some English students wouldn't know how to do all the things you do in medicine.

1. Prospective doctors have to sit a BMAT entrance exam before uni. You'll find that the last and most important section is an essay. Therefore, to even be considered for Medicine at uni, you have to be able to write discursive/philosophical essays.

2. Most English students wouldn't know how to do anything you do in medicine. Maybe First Aid.

3. When has an English student gone on to save a life as part of their daily job?

All said from a neutral point of view. I'm studying neither English nor Medicine.
I want to apply for Uni cause all my year a virtually doing it. My PS is "perfect" as my sixth form tutor said so herself... After 14 attempts and numerous hours redrafting it I'm pleased with it. It's been ready for a month now but the problem is I'm predicted an A for English Language and a B for Literature but I have (sort of) got my predicted grade for RE...

My Ethics teacher said he would easily predict me a B, but my philosophy teacher wants to predict me a C and she has more control over him...
So right at this present moment in time, it's standing at a C.. but I don't want it at a C. I got an A (98/100) on MY PHILOSOPHY paper in my AS exam and she still predicted a C which just isn't fair to be honest!

I'm apply to BCC-BBB universities so my question is should I still apply (as in the "pay/send" section of UCAS) or shall I wait until Monday to see my Philo teacher to 'force' her to change my grade to a B?

Do you really think that's the best reason to apply to university?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13

Why on earth are you applying to BCC universities when you could easily get AAB? I had similar AS grades to you and I got 4 out of 5 offers all from AAB Russell Group Unis. Aim a bit higher.

Also your philosophy teacher is completely in the wrong for targeting you a C if you got 98%.
Reply 14

I'm not sure I'd compare medicine to straight sciences, as there is going to be nothing in medicine that could remotely compare to the complexity you would find in a subject such as Chemistry or Physics. IMO most english students who could comfortably get AAA at A Level in any subject could succeed in medicine, where only tenacity is required, but not in a science degree at a good university, where the standard is much higher, as shown by the grades of the successful applicants(e.g. Imperial's physics course has a requirement of A*AA but in reality >50% of successful applicants have A*A*A* or better., which is obviously far higher than any medicine course, aside from Oxbridge perhaps.

Plus getting 98% and being predicted a C is BS. Talk to your senior tutor/head of year.
Original post by suleyman95
1. Prospective doctors have to sit a BMAT entrance exam before uni. You'll find that the last and most important section is an essay. Therefore, to even be considered for Medicine at uni, you have to be able to write discursive/philosophical essays.

2. Most English students wouldn't know how to do anything you do in medicine. Maybe First Aid.

3. When has an English student gone on to save a life as part of their daily job?

All said from a neutral point of view. I'm studying neither English nor Medicine.

1. Writing a discursive/philosophical essay does not make a medical student capable of writing a GOOD essay. I do not know what they get tested on. I presume they get tested on their knowledge and not their structure of their paragraphs and most certainly not their handwriting? Writing a psycho-analytical essay on a Gothic text is slightly different from writing an essay for a test.

2. My point exactly. Do you really think a medical student knows about the complexities of grammar or essay writing? I highly doubt it, but probably.

3. What the hell? That has no sense. English isn't just about essays, clearly you're very ignorant of the subject and seem very stuck up.
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Do you really think that's the best reason to apply to university?

You've misinterpreted my point my love. And I'm not sure where you got your point from to be honest.

I want to go to uni to study English because I love it, and my year 11 English teacher inspired me to become an English teacher and told me to never give up... So that's the reason why I want to go to uni to fulfill my dream :smile:
1. Writing a discursive/philosophical essay does not make a medical student capable of writing a GOOD essay. I do not know what they get tested on. I presume they get tested on their knowledge and not their structure of their paragraphs and most certainly not their handwriting? Writing a psycho-analytical essay on a Gothic text is slightly different from writing an essay for a test.

2. My point exactly. Do you really think a medical student knows about the complexities of grammar or essay writing? I highly doubt it, but probably.

3. What the hell? That has no sense. English isn't just about essays, clearly you're very ignorant of the subject and seem very stuck up.

Can you honestly say that English is the same as medicine?
How many times has someone saved another's life by writing a essay? :s-smilie:

I'm not dissing either fields but one is obviously more complexed than the other.
Try to change it
Original post by Cucurbita
Why on earth are you applying to BCC universities when you could easily get AAB? I had similar AS grades to you and I got 4 out of 5 offers all from AAB Russell Group Unis. Aim a bit higher.

Also your philosophy teacher is completely in the wrong for targeting you a C if you got 98%.

Well, this is what one of my friend said to me a few hours ago. I should higher, but I've been doubting my capabilities this year, even though my English teachers keep telling I'm good at what I do, but yeah, I'm feeling the pressure of A2 and to succeed!

I've applied for ABB which is uni of Kant, then the rest are from BBB-BCC so it's reasonable. And Oh, all the higher uni's need C inGCSE maths, which I haven't got but really didn't feel the need to mention that... :P

Yeah, I know... I got the highest in the class.. Should I go to my head of year about it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending