The Student Room Group

What to wear to a healthcare assistant job interview?

Would a suit be too much?

I am desperate for the job but don't want to look silly!
Reply 1
Original post by GradMed
Would a suit be too much?

I am desperate for the job but don't want to look silly!

Dress smartly, I'm unsure whether you are a he or a she, but it's up to you how smart you go.
I now work as a Health Care Assistant and in all my interviews I wore a suit (White blouse with Black trousers, Black blazer and smart Black boots). Have you had your interview yet? How did it go? x
Reply 3
Original post by Little Old Me
I now work as a Health Care Assistant and in all my interviews I wore a suit (White blouse with Black trousers, Black blazer and smart Black boots). Have you had your interview yet? How did it go? x

Hello, I decided on a shirt with smart trousers/shoes in the end and got the job today :smile: Well done for getting yours too! I prepared a lot (probably too much) because I desperately wanted the job. There were three interviewers which was a bit daunting but they were really nice. Here are my questions for anyone who stumbles across this thread looking to prepare for their interview:

-Tell me about yourself and your relevant experience
-What skills do you have to be a healthcare assistant
-What do you think it means to be compassionate
-If the relatives of a patient were complaining and upset about their experience in the hospital, what would you do?
-It then turned more into a casual chat with various questions thrown in like whether I want to progress into nursing, how flexible I am, what qualifications I'd like to get, where I live and my knowledge of the area, etc.
Original post by GradMed
Hello, I decided on a shirt with smart trousers/shoes in the end and got the job today :smile: Well done for getting yours too! I prepared a lot (probably too much) because I desperately wanted the job. There were three interviewers which was a bit daunting but they were really nice. Here are my questions for anyone who stumbles across this thread looking to prepare for their interview:

-Tell me about yourself and your relevant experience
-What skills do you have to be a healthcare assistant
-What do you think it means to be compassionate
-If the relatives of a patient were complaining and upset about their experience in the hospital, what would you do?
-It then turned more into a casual chat with various questions thrown in like whether I want to progress into nursing, how flexible I am, what qualifications I'd like to get, where I live and my knowledge of the area, etc.

Well done! :biggrin: Thanks! Ooo I had three interviewers for an interview once too, it's a good thing they were nice. What sort of area of Healthcare will you be working in? Also, your name is GradMed, so are you studying Medicine and hoping to build up experience through a job as a Healthcare Assistant? (Just a wild guess and I'm probably wrong but thought I might as well ask lol). Hope you don't mind me asking x
Reply 5
Well done! :biggrin: Thanks! Ooo I had three interviewers for an interview once too, it's a good thing they were nice. What sort of area of Healthcare will you be working in? Also, your name is GradMed, so are you studying Medicine and hoping to build up experience through a job as a Healthcare Assistant? (Just a wild guess and I'm probably wrong but thought I might as well ask lol). Hope you don't mind me asking x

I wish! No I am applying next year to graduate entry medicine :smile: How about you? And I'm working on the stroke ward which I'm very pleased about as it's quite a challenging one with a lot of direct caring and contact with relatives. How long have you been an HCA? And what ward/department are you on? How have you been finding it?
Original post by GradMed
I wish! No I am applying next year to graduate entry medicine :smile: How about you? And I'm working on the stroke ward which I'm very pleased about as it's quite a challenging one with a lot of direct caring and contact with relatives. How long have you been an HCA? And what ward/department are you on? How have you been finding it?

Oh cool! That sounds good! I graduated last year and studied Bsc (Hons) Health Studies and Psychology. I started working as a Health Care Assistant in Mental Health on 8th November this year. I did get a job offer just after accepting this one for a HCA position in surgery but turned it down for this job cos I find Mental Health so interesting and relates well to my degree. I'm finding it to be a good experience so far but a lot of the patients seem to focus on me in particular to help them over other members of staff which can be a bit challenging at times but I do find it rewarding, it's nice seeing patients smile for the first time since I met them! x
Reply 7
Its a job interview, why would you ever not wear a suit?
Reply 8
Oh cool! That sounds good! I graduated last year and studied Bsc (Hons) Health Studies and Psychology. I started working as a Health Care Assistant in Mental Health on 8th November this year. I did get a job offer just after accepting this one for a HCA position in surgery but turned it down for this job cos I find Mental Health so interesting and relates well to my degree. I'm finding it to be a good experience so far but a lot of the patients seem to focus on me in particular to help them over other members of staff which can be a bit challenging at times but I do find it rewarding, it's nice seeing patients smile for the first time since I met them! x

Yeah mental health looks like a really interesting one. Well that's good the patients have taken such a shining to you already! Good luck with it all :smile:

Original post by 345rty
Its a job interview, why would you ever not wear a suit?

I didn't want to look too formal and business-like for such a caring role. I didn't see anyone else in a suit either plus I got the job so I think it was the right decision to just look smart but not over do it!
Well done on getting the job :biggrin: Tbh, I've always worn a suit in every interview i've been too...it feels odd not to :tongue:
Reply 10
HI im worried about my interview in a weeks time for bank staff health care assistant , i only have 6 months experience as a volunteer on a pals desk at the local hospital and i got my first interview . i dont know how to answer the questions because i go blank when questions are thrown at at me , any tips on answers would be appreciated .
Reply 11
Original post by sharonjs33
HI im worried about my interview in a weeks time for bank staff health care assistant , i only have 6 months experience as a volunteer on a pals desk at the local hospital and i got my first interview . i dont know how to answer the questions because i go blank when questions are thrown at at me , any tips on answers would be appreciated .

It's against the rules to give specific answers to interview questions as it give people an unfair advantage. Have a think about how you'd answer stuff like why you want to work as a HCA and what you think their role involves. The interviews for posts like this aren't particularly demanding. Good luck :smile:
I have a question. I applied a job at a care home and the interview is tomorrow and I don't know what you wear for the interview so can someone please help me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending