The Student Room Group

My boyfriend is 40, can I have lots of babies with him?

I'm 25, my long-term boyfriend is 40, and we might be getting married soon. When that happens, would it still be ok for us to have children? Or to be more specific, have a BIG family?

I want to have about 5 children; but I am worried I'm not in a good relationship for this, as my boyfriend might be too old? I love him and he loves me, he had a kid about 20 years ago but doesn't get to see his child because his ex is a *****. However, he said he would be happy starting anew again. But, I've read that as one ages, one is more likely to conceive a baby with mental problems, and I'm terrified with this. Also, he doesn't eat the best... much of the time he eats ready meals as he is so busy with work, and this also worries me but I don't know how much this might affect the baby if we had one (he's not 'fat', just a bit unhealthy I'd say).

Scroll to see replies

What... wait... I don't even... what?
Original post by Digital_Love
I'm 25, my long-term boyfriend is 40, and we might be getting married soon. When that happens, would it still be ok for us to have children? Or to be more specific, have a BIG family?

I want to have about 5 children; but I am worried I'm not in a good relationship for this, as my boyfriend might be too old? I love him and he loves me, he had a kid about 20 years ago but doesn't get to see his child because his ex is a *****. However, he said he would be happy starting anew again. But, I've read that as one ages, one is more likely to conceive a baby with mental problems, and I'm terrified with this. Also, he doesn't eat the best... much of the time he eats ready meals as he is so busy with work, and this also worries me but I don't know how much this might affect the baby if we had one (he's not 'fat', just a bit unhealthy I'd say).

My dad was 38 when I was born, so it certainly isn't too late for anyone to have kids, these days I have heard people aged 50+ having kids (especially with men) so why cant a 40 year old man have kids too. It's definitely do able.
Reply 3
A guy can still produce sperm at 40... I still cant tell if this is a troll thread :confused:
Reply 4
Mental problems? Excuse me what? How is that in anyway bad?
You're supposed to love your children no matter what, regardless of their 'mental state'.

It's bad when the woman ages. It hardly makes any difference when the man does (up to some limit, but much higher than 40).
I am not sure what is worse….the stupidity of your questions or the guy who hasn't seen his child in 20 years.

Let's just hope this is a troll.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Shazzarr
Mental problems? Excuse me what? How is that in anyway bad?
You're supposed to love your children no matter what, regardless of their 'mental state'.

No-one asks for it, though.
Reply 8

Yes, you can. Just lie on the bed and ask him to penetrate you.

Jokes aside, yes, the older the mother/father the higher the chance that the kid will have developmental issues (more specifically, Down Syndrome).
Reply 9
Original post by TerribleTej
My dad was 38 when I was born, so it certainly isn't too late for anyone to have kids, these days I have heard people aged 50+ having kids (especially with men) so why cant a 40 year old man have kids too. It's definitely do able.

It's doable if you ignore any potential developmental issues that reproduction at an old age can cause.
My dad was 43 when I was born.
Original post by Juichiro
It's doable if you ignore any potential developmental issues that reproduction at an old age can cause.

The increased risk is negligible as the father ages; the mother's age is far more relevant.
um,is this a troll thread or..?

Okay let's tackle one issue at a time here.

First of all, the risk of having a child with Downs Syndrome begins to increase once the woman gets past 35. I've not heard of similar from a male perspective.

Next issue - your boyfriend eating ready meals will not affect your potential child one bit. My husband is morbidly obese yet my children are not at all. Plus...many ready meals are only around 400-500 calories each, so it's not exactly excessive. Might not be as healthy as fresh food, but it's not gonna necessarily make him fat. And your partner's fitness levels are not going to determine your potential baby's fitness levels.

Next issue - your partner already has child he doesn't see. Regardless of his ex's behaviour, why is he not making an effort to pursue visitation rights through court? If he can so easily dismiss his existing child, is this a good person to be thinking about having kids with?

Then there's his age. Not ideal but it could be worse.

Lastly you want 5 kids. lol good luck with that. I have four...it's bloody tiring :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Thank you for your answers, this is not a troll thread. Admittedly, I know we have a bit of a 'controversial' relationship and it doesn't really bother me until I post things like this and see the surprised responses.
We have dated for 5 years, and have both claimed we are soul mates.
Reply 15

OK. That is a disgraceful thing to say.
Men can produce babies for a long time, there isn't a time in their life like the menopause were they stop. However the older they get the less fertile they are. So yes you can have babies with him but the older he gets, the harder you'll find it to conceive.
Nice thread title :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
your partner already has child he doesn't see. Regardless of his ex's behaviour, why is he not making an effort to pursue visitation rights through court? If he can so easily dismiss his existing child, is this a good person to be thinking about having kids with?

His child and ex are in Australia, and he has lived in the UK for the last 10 years, which is one reason why. As for other reasons, I just know his ex now has tons of children with different partners and tries her best to claim money from the fathers... I don't know too much else but perhaps it is even something I could suggest to him!
Yes you can make lots of babies
His child and ex are in Australia, and he has lived in the UK for the last 10 years, which is one reason why. As for other reasons, I just know his ex now has tons of children with different partners and tries her best to claim money from the fathers... I don't know too much else but perhaps it is even something I could suggest to him!

Well they could at least communicate online - webcams and so on.People who don't make an effort to see their kids or have a relationship with them make me sad. My own dad I never saw for 6 years (from 11 to 17). It sucked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending