The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Felix Felicis
Another solution to 295:

I=ex2 dx=20ex2 dx=x2x0exx12 dx=Γ(12)\displaystyle I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \ dx = 2 \int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \ dx \overset{x^2 \mapsto x}= \int_0^{\infty} e^{-x} x^{-\frac{1}{2}} \ dx = \Gamma \left(\tfrac{1}{2}\right)

Now, as Γ(z)=0xz1ex dx\Gamma (z) = \int_0^{\infty} x^{z-1} e^{-x} \ dx and B(x,y)=Γ(x)Γ(y)Γ(x+y)\text{B} (x,y) = \dfrac{\Gamma (x) \Gamma (y)}{\Gamma (x+y)}, we have:

B(12,12)=Γ2(12)Γ(1)=Γ2(12)=I2\text{B}\left(\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}\right) = \dfrac{\Gamma^2 \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)}{\Gamma (1)} = \Gamma^2 \left(\frac{1}{2}\right) = I^2

B(12,12)=01x12(1x)12 dx=x12x2arcsinx01=π\displaystyle \text{B}\left(\tfrac{1}{2}, \tfrac{1}{2}\right) = \int_0^1 x^{-\frac{1}{2}} (1-x)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \ dx \overset{x^{\frac{1}{2}}\mapsto x}= 2\arcsin{x}\bigg|_0^1 = \pi

Therefore I2=π    I=πI^2 = \pi \implies I = \sqrt{\pi}

You do love the gamma function, don't you :tongue:
Original post by james22
Is there a method of solving this integral using just elementary methods (i.e. no double integrals or change of coordinate systems).

*fumbles to push glasses into eyeballs*.

Consider the surface z=e(x2+y2)z = e^{-(x^2+y^2)} but don't actually do anything so as not to violate the terms of your post.
The volume under this is the square of the integral we want to find.

But this can also be thought of as the volume of revolution about the z axis where z=ex2z = e^{-x^2} and so x=ln(z)x = \sqrt{- \ln(z)}...

Using the formula for the volume of revolution:
V=01x2dx=π01ln(z)dz\displaystyle V = \int_0^1 x^2 dx = \pi \int_0^1 - \ln(z) dz
Just by IBP:
V=π[zln(z)z]01=π\displaystyle V = - \pi [z \ln(z) - z]_{0}^{1} = \pi
Reply 2462
Original post by james22
Is there a method of solving this integral using just elementary methods (i.e. no double integrals or change of coordinate systems).

Depends what you class as an elementary method. The function has no antiderivative, if that's what you mean.
Reply 2463
Problem 396**

Hopefully I'll solve Mladenov's problems at some point, but in the hiatus here's another integral:

0π2log(sec(x))tan(x)dx.\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log(\sec(x))}{\tan(x)}dx.

Problem 397**

0π2log(sec(x))tan2(x)dx.\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log(\sec(x))}{\tan^2(x)}dx.
Reply 2464
Original post by Mladenov

Problem 365***(revisited)

Find 0xa(b+xc)ddx\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{a}}{(b+x^{c})^{d}}dx, when a0,b>0,c>0,d>a+1c\displaystyle a \ge 0, b>0, c>0, d > \frac{a+1}{c}. We also throw out the condition dZd \in \mathbb{Z}.

Solution 365(revisited)***

0xa(b+xc)ddx=1c0ua+1c1(b+u)ddu=ba+1cdc0za+1c1(1+z)ddz\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{a}}{(b+x^{c})^{d}}dx= \frac{1}{c} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{u^{\frac{a+1}{c}-1}}{(b+u)^{d}}du= \frac{b^{\frac{a+1}{c}-d}}{c} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{z^{\frac{a+1}{c}-1}}{(1+z)^{d}}dz

=ba+1cdcΓ(a+1c)Γ(da+1c)Γ(d)\displaystyle =\frac{b^{\frac{a+1}{c}-d}}{c}\frac{\Gamma \left(\frac{a+1}{c}\right) \Gamma \left(d-\frac{a+1}{c}\right)}{\Gamma \left(d\right)}

I doubt this is as simple as it gets, some result from Gauss will probably simplify the numerator further. A convenient contour may also do the trick.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Flauta
It's still a really good question, there're some quite complex in-depth ways of doing it which I don't understand at all, would love to see some people post them. What was your method?

I used the polar coordinates method as well :colondollar:

I haven't seen any differential equations on this thread so here is one.

Problem 398***
Find the general solution to the system of differential equations.
y1=4y1y3 y'_1= 4y_1 - y_3
y2=2y1+2y2y3 y'_2 = 2y_1 + 2y_2 - y_3
y3=3y1+y2 y'_3 = 3y_1 + y_2
(edited 10 years ago)
This looks so hard, not even gonna lie
Original post by techno-thriller

Which question?

Good! I was aiming for that first impression. :mwuaha:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2469

Hard is good, makes it even more satisfying when you complete a problem :biggrin: I'm sure there'll be something on here you could do, I manage to find the odd thing occasionally
Original post by Flauta
Hard is good, makes it even more satisfying when you complete a problem :biggrin: I'm sure there'll be something on here you could do, I manage to find the odd thing occasionally

Most of the easier questions on here are the ones that I have posted. :biggrin: Some would say that I have diluted the thread but in my mind, I'm making it more accessible :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keromedic
Which question?

Original post by Arieisit
Good! I was aiming for that first impression. :mwuaha:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Flauta

All those squiglly lines
Shivers me.
Reply 2472
Most of the easier questions on here are the ones that I have posted. :biggrin: Some would say that I have diluted the thread but in my mind, I'm making it more accessible :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand your differential equation one that you just posted :tongue: Reading a lot about differential equations at the moment though, I'm sure I'll understand it soon
Original post by henpen
Very much so, could you quickly summarise what neutrices are? It seems counterintuitive that a function can have a defined derivative at a point where it is not defined.

Sorry for that regrettably late reply; an elementary example of function with this property is the real logarithm.
Neutrices were introduced, as far as I know, (I am not quite knowledgeable in the area) to help statisticians/theoretical physicists deal with asymptotic expressions, i.e. they generalize OO and oo notions. A neutrix is an abelian (additively written) group NN, consisting of functions SGS \to G, where GG is an abelian group, such that the only constant function in NN is the zero function. The functions in NN are called negligible.
As an example consider S=ZS = \mathbb{Z}, G=RG = \mathbb{R}, and the negligible functions in NN being finite (linear) sums of nxlnk1nn^{x} \ln^{k-1}n and lnkn\ln^{k}n, where x>0x>0, kk - positive integer, and all functions which tend to zero as nn \to \infty.
This article is relevant.

Spoiler

Original post by henpen

Spoiler

Yes, that's correct.

After this analysis, I see that the world is beautiful only when we treat stuff algebraically.

Problem 399***

Let GG be a group. Show that there exists a cell complex XX such that π1(X,a)=G\pi_{1}(X,a)=G, where aa is a vertex of XX. A nice application of this topological result is the existence of coproducts in the category of groups G.

Original post by jack.hadamard
If you are having a boring Wednesday night, then play with n!(k)+a=m2n!^{(k)} + a = m^2 to find solutions (n,m)(n,m) for k,aNk,a \in \mathbb{N}.

For example, n!!+2=m2n!! + 2 = m^2.

The special case k=2k=2, a=2a=2 is easy. Clearly, if n0(mod2)n \equiv 0 \pmod 2, then n=2n=2. If n1(mod2)n \equiv 1 \pmod 2, we consider our equation (mod3)\pmod 3 and see that there are no solutions.
I will do the general case tomorrow.
(edited 10 years ago)
I used the polar coordinates method as well :colondollar:

I haven't seen any differential equations on this thread so here is one.

Problem 398***
Find the general solution to the system of differential equations.
y1=4y1y3 y'_1= 4y_1 - y_3
y2=2y1+2y2y3 y'_2 = 2y_1 + 2y_2 - y_3
y3=3y1+y2 y'_3 = 3y_1 + y_2

To be fair, since I only started learning differential just recently, I had to get some help with this question.

A=(401221310)A=\begin{pmatrix}4&0&-1\\2&2&-1\\3&1&0\end{pmatrix} which has a defined polynomial χA=(X2)3\chi_A=(X-2)^3. Which also has a Jordan form (200120012)\begin{pmatrix}2&0&0\\1&2&0\\0&1&2\end{pmatrix} which will give a system X=CJC1XX'=CJC^{-1}X, which should be solved by the change of variables Y=C1XY=C^{-1}X.

But, sadly I don't know how:colondollar: Maybe someone better can take it from here.

Can you please tell me where you got this question? I want to read more into these types of questions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by henpen
Problem 396**

Hopefully I'll solve Mladenov's problems at some point, but in the hiatus here's another integral:

0π2log(sec(x))tan(x)dx.\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log(\sec(x))}{\tan(x)}dx.

Problem 397**

0π2log(sec(x))tan2(x)dx.\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log(\sec(x))}{\tan^2(x)}dx.

Solution 397
Seemed a bit too simple so most probably I made mistake (I hope log(x)=ln(x))
u=tanxu=tanx
log(sec(x))tan2(x)dx=12log(u2+1)u2du IBP    12(2arctanulog(u2+1)u)\displaystyle \int \frac{\log(\sec(x))}{\tan^2(x)}dx=\dfrac{1}{2} \int \dfrac{log(u^2+1)}{u^2}du \ _{\rightarrow}^{IBP} \ \ \ \ \dfrac{1}{2} \left( 2arctanu-\dfrac{log(u^2+1)}{u} \right)
0π2log(sec(x))tan(x)dx=12[arctan(tan(x))sec2xtanx]0π2\therefore \displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log(\sec(x))}{\tan(x)}dx= \dfrac{1}{2} \left[arctan(tan(x))-\dfrac{sec^2x}{tanx} \right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}
Assuming I've made no mistakes (surprising as it's midnight), I'm stuck as I'm not sure how to evaluate arctan(tan(π2))arctan(tan(\frac{\pi}{2})) although googling suggests it might be 0. Not sure though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
Solution 397
Seemed a bit too simple so most probably I made mistake (I hope log(x)=ln(x))
u=tanxu=tanx
log(sec(x))tan2(x)dx=12log(u2+1)u2du IBP    12(2arctanulog(u2+1)u)\displaystyle \int \frac{\log(\sec(x))}{\tan^2(x)}dx=\dfrac{1}{2} \int \dfrac{log(u^2+1)}{u^2}du \ _{\rightarrow}^{IBP} \ \ \ \ \dfrac{1}{2} \left( 2arctanu-\dfrac{log(u^2+1)}{u} \right)
0π2log(sec(x))tan(x)dx=12[arctan(tan(x))sec2xtanx]0π2\therefore \displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log(\sec(x))}{\tan(x)}dx= \dfrac{1}{2} \left[arctan(tan(x))-\dfrac{sec^2x}{tanx} \right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}
Assuming I've made no mistakes (surprising as it's midnight), I'm stuck as I'm not sure how to evaluate arctan(tan(π2))arctan(tan(\frac{\pi}{2})) although googling suggests it might be 0. Not sure though.

Well, arctantanx=x\arctan{\tan{x}} = x as you're integrating over [0,π2]\left[0,\frac{\pi}{2}\right] but you've done the substitution incorrectly, you've forgotten to make an appropriate substitution for dxdx. :wink: Your integral is actually transformed to:

0π2lnsecxtan2x dx=u=tanx120ln(u2+1)u2(u2+1) du\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\ln{\sec{x}}}{\tan^2 x} \ dx \overset{u=\tan{x}}= \frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\ln{(u^2 + 1)}}{u^2 (u^2 + 1)} \ du.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Felix Felicis
Well, arctantanx=x\arctan{\tan{x}} = x as you're integrating over [0,π2]\left[0,\frac{\pi}{2}\right] but you've done the substitution incorrectly, you've forgotten to make an appropriate substitution for dxdx. :wink: Your integral is actually transformed to:

0π2lnsecxtan2x dx=u=tanx120ln(u2+1)u2(u2+1) du\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\ln{\sec{x}}}{\tan^2 x} \ dx \overset{u=\tan{x}}= \frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\ln{(u^2 + 1)}}{u^2 (u^2 + 1)} \ du.

oH. I can't believe I did that. sorry guys
:facepalm:
Original post by Flauta
Depends what you class as an elementary method. The function has no antiderivative, if that's what you mean.

I know, I mean something working with just the basic methods of integration (like substitution and IBP etc).
Original post by MAyman12
To be fair, since I only started learning differential just recently, I had to get some help with this question.

A=(401221310)A=\begin{pmatrix}4&0&-1\\2&2&-1\\3&1&0\end{pmatrix} which has a defined polynomial χA=(X2)3\chi_A=(X-2)^3. Which also has a Jordan form (200120012)\begin{pmatrix}2&0&0\\1&2&0\\0&1&2\end{pmatrix} which will give a system X=CJC1XX'=CJC^{-1}X, which should be solved by the change of variables Y=C1XY=C^{-1}X.

But, sadly I don't know how:colondollar: Maybe someone better can take it from here.

Can you please tell me where you got this question? I want to read more into these types of questions.

Yes, so far so good but remember that so far you have only attempted to solve the first single 1-dimensional differential equation.

I stumbled on Systems of Differential equations on a maths website that I was reading because obviously I didn't learn this in A levels :rolleyes:

The question is from a pdf file so I can't upload it to this thread since it has the solution as well.

Quick Reply

Latest