The Student Room Group

Would you rather live in the country or in the city?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Country because there are women in the city and almost every woman I walk past is smoking and I have to hold my breath to avoid breathing in the smoke. I can't just walk in the road to avoid the women so I have to walk past them and it's really annoying having to literally hold my breath all the time.

That wouldn't happen in the country.
Reply 21
Original post by buchanan700
City. Living in the country now. Boring, boring, boring. Maybe when I'm older I'll change my mind, but I want to be where the action is.

Make the action:cool:
Reply 22
I've lived in both and each has their ups and downs.

City
Upsides- It doesn't take long to get to places. People aren't as difficult to come by. The shop isn't up/down a mountain. Clubs.
Downside - Noisy. There can be such a thing as too many people. Light Pollution. Going for a walk isn't pleasant

Country
Upsides - Quiet, less light pollution. Air is nicer. If you like snow, there tends to be more that stays around longer. Going for a walk is pleasant.
Downsides - It takes ages to go anywhere. I literally have no friends around where I live :frown: The shop is at the bottom of a mountain and I live at the top.
Country
Reply 24
Right now I'd love to live in a city, I live in the country now and I hate it. I can imagine that I'll prefer the country when I'm older though.
Original post by Manitude
That's probably more likely to happen in a city. What with the crime rate being higher, and lack of community spirit. In a small hamlet like the one I grew up in, everyone knows everyone. Where I live now... I haven't even seen my next door neighbours in months, and I don't even know any of their names.

For me, definitely the country. The advantages of a city in terms of social life, ease of shopping and so forth are outweighed by the open space, fresh air, nicer people, low crime rate and better landscape

Regarding the bit in bold, dont you see that as a bad thing?

I live in a fairly rural area.

The neighbours are really really nosey. Its the kind of place where everyone knows your name, knows your mum and dad. Its like everyone is only a few degrees of separation from each other.

The people are really nosey and everyone knows each others business.

Regarding neighbours, I have the opposite problem as you- the neighbours are so nosey

Its hard/impossible to meet new people from new backgrounds/cultures because the place is so small and cliquey

I would like to live in a city apartment someday.

I love the fact that in cities (or towns other than my hometown, even) no one knows me (well practically no one).
Reply 26
Original post by bloomblaze
Regarding the bit in bold, dont you see that as a bad thing?

I live in a fairly rural area.

The neighbours are really really nosey. Its the kind of place where everyone knows your name, knows your mum and dad. Its like everyone is only a few degrees of separation from each other.

The people are really nosey and everyone knows each others business.

Regarding neighbours, I have the opposite problem as you- the neighbours are so nosey

Its hard/impossible to meet new people from new backgrounds/cultures because the place is so small and cliquey

I would like to live in a city apartment someday.

I love the fact that in cities (or towns other than my hometown, even) no one knows me (well practically no one).

I don't really see it as a problem. People were generally very friendly and there wasn't really any drama that people wouldn't want everyone to know about.
Probably worth mentioning that I am only talking about five houses, one of which was unoccupied for around ten years. The hamlet consists of slightly more than this, but they were quite far down the road so there wasn't as much contact. I still deliver the christmas cards to them every christmas eve though :biggrin:
Countryside, because it's so pretty and beautiful and I can pretend I live in Narnia :h:

Plus, the city is just vile!! It's smelly, dirty and where tramps live. No thank you.
I don't really see it as a problem. People were generally very friendly and there wasn't really any drama that people wouldn't want everyone to know about.
Probably worth mentioning that I am only talking about five houses, one of which was unoccupied for around ten years. The hamlet consists of slightly more than this, but they were quite far down the road so there wasn't as much contact. I still deliver the christmas cards to them every christmas eve though :biggrin:

I live in a small town, I feel trapped and 'suffocated' by it, theres nothing like getting into the city where no one knows me!
Reply 29
The City is the only place for me. Spend a week in the country and I bore myself to death, feel so out of place and uncomfortable. It's awful.
Reply 30
Both (in the city during the week; and in the country at weekends - best of both world!)
Reply 31
Both have it perks but as a young adult I would fit the city life more, also suburbs are crap and boring.
Reply 32
Original post by bloomblaze
I live in a small town, I feel trapped and 'suffocated' by it, theres nothing like getting into the city where no one knows me!

I live in a city of around 50,000 right now (would probably only be a market town if it weren't for the cathedral) and I don't especially like the completely lack of community spirit. I say 'hi' to the guy who runs the corner shop every time I go in and that's about it.

On the other hand, I'm only five minutes walk from my preferred pub, and supermarket.
I would like to live in both in my lifetime, I live in a small town, which I find quite uneventful at times, but at the same time, it's full of little things to discover or views to see. I always find something new.

The city would most likely have the best communications, transport and leisure activities, however, the countryside is a preferable choice for me because of the lack of human contact, the peacefulness and the natural wildlife. But who knows, maybe if I attempt to live in a city, I'll prefer it more.
Original post by Maid Marian
Countryside, because it's so pretty and beautiful and I can pretend I live in Narnia :h:

Plus, the city is just vile!! It's smelly, dirty and where tramps live. No thank you.

So you finally got un-banned, wb :tongue:

Spoiler

Anyway, vile is a little harsh and I wouldn't call cities smelly, what do they smell of? In fact, I'd say the country was smellier, full of animal poop :/

Original post by Fool In The Rain
The city would most likely have the best communications, transport and leisure activities, however, the countryside is a preferable choice for me because of the lack of human contact, the peacefulness and the natural wildlife. But who knows, maybe if I attempt to live in a city, I'll prefer it more.

I get the solitude thing but, if I have a lack of human contact, I'm sure going to need a good internet connection. Never seem to have one when I'm in the country :tongue:

I live in a city of around 50,000 right now (would probably only be a market town if it weren't for the cathedral) and I don't especially like the completely lack of community spirit. I say 'hi' to the guy who runs the corner shop every time I go in and that's about it.

I'm all for community spirit but doesn't it ever feel like everyone's in your business?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mooomooo
Countryside without a doubt! I live in the countryside (though not a particularly rural area) but in a place where I have excellent and commutable access to London so it's the best of both worlds really! I love the city but I love the fields and the animals and the mud in the countryside more (;

As a mooomooo, I imagine you'd rather be in a field than on a Tesco shelf? :smile:
Original post by meenu88
As the title says.

I wouldn't mind those countryside towns outside London. But I'd rather a city.
City without a doubt. There's always something going on, there are good transport links to different parts of the city AND 99.9% of the time you get phone signal and a good internet connection. :biggrin:

What's good about a city though is that everything is nearby if you wanted you could get around by foot. While you could get around by foot in the country I'd rather not, having almost been plowed down by a Jeep in rural France as I walked the one and a half miles to the nearest shop from my gite. -_-

The country has some benefits though, like no light pollution and fresh air. :smile:
Original post by TheOriginalAng
So you finally got un-banned, wb :tongue:

Spoiler

Anyway, vile is a little harsh and I wouldn't call cities smelly, what do they smell of? In fact, I'd say the country was smellier, full of animal poop :/

Hehehe :biggrin:
Nothing much :K: I was feeling pretty sad :frown:

Cities smell of smoke and pollution and cars. I hate them. Yeah, but the animal poop is mixed with the aroma of flowers and country air :h: Which makes it better. And you only smell poop if you live near a farm, anyway! :tongue:
Original post by Maid Marian
Hehehe :biggrin:
Nothing much :K: I was feeling pretty sad :frown:

Now you're back, you can feel happy again :h:

Quick Reply

Latest