The Student Room Group

Why are some older people so condescending?

For instance from my experience from work where I've found out that they underestimate my abilities, I'm not like dumb :rolleyes: & they don't have much faith in me to carry out certain tasks with messing up despite my enthusiasm :frown: I've also found that some older people can be quite rude & seem to think they are entitled to respect just for being older instead of when they deserve it. Why are some people like that :confused:
Reply 1
Just the way some people are generally, unfortunately. Learn to stand up for yourself and be assertive. Do what you're paid for, but take **** from no-one.

Personally, I don't care too much for age or "experience"; if someone's clearly clueless about stuff despite pretending to be otherwise and preaching to anyone who'll listen (sadly the most clueless people are often those who feel the need to shout the loudest), they have neither my respect nor attention.

I've learned to tell extremely well when someone's a professional ****-talker.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Multitalented me
For instance from my experience from work where I've found out that they underestimate my abilities, I'm not like dumb :rolleyes: & they don't have much faith in me to carry out certain tasks with messing up despite my enthusiasm :frown: I've also found that some older people can be quite rude & seem to think they are entitled to respect just for being older instead of when they deserve it. Why are some people like that :confused:

It is funny how it is OK to discriminate against the young and not the old. I am young and people often look down on me even though I am better than some of them.

EDIT: experience counts for jack when different people benefit from experience to different degrees.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Alpha brah
Just the way some people are generally, unfortunately. Learn to stand up for yourself and be assertive. Do what you're paid for, but take **** from no-one.

Personally, I don't care too much for age or "experience"; if someone's clearly clueless about stuff despite pretending to be otherwise and preaching to anyone who'll listen (sadly the most clueless people are often those who feel the need to shout the loudest), they have neither my respect nor attention.

I've learned to tell extremely well when someone's a professional ****-talker.

Not hard, do they have a Law Society or Bar registration? Then certified world class :tongue:
the difference of our generation and theirs maybe
They secretly want to cane you :whip:
In my experience, the older people who are condescending do so because they stereotype young people as being equally condescending and rude. It's a vicious circle!
Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS
It is funny how it is OK to discriminate against the young and not the old. I am young and people often look down on me even though I am better than some of them.

I'd be interested to hear on what premise you base that assessment!
Original post by Rascacielos
I'd be interested to hear on what premise you base that assessment!

I have to teach people who have been there 10 years more than me things that they could have easily picked up on. Also, I don't miss important things and clients compliment that I do things properly when I have seen others who cannot be bothered.
Reply 9
Original post by Le Nombre
Not hard, do they have a Law Society or Bar registration? Then certified world class :tongue:

:rofl:
I think a problem is young people are less confident and assertive that can make them appear less competent when it is not the case. The other side is true, that older people can seem more competent than they are as they come across more confident and assertive.
I have to teach people who have been there 10 years more than me things that they could have easily picked up on. Also, I don't miss important things and clients compliment that I do things properly when I have seen others who cannot be bothered.

Oh, so you mean that you work harder or are possibly more intelligent than them?

That's not the same as being "better".
Oh, so you mean that you work harder or are possibly more intelligent than them?

That's not the same as being "better".

I produce more of the goods and of a better quality, don't engage in bickering behind backs and have good communication with the team. How can I not be better than some of the older people?
Reply 13
Original post by Multitalented me

There will always be people like that in the world, i happen to know a couple of people like that myself, you just have to live with it, some people come from a background where they believe it's ok to "rub it in everyone's face" basically think of the way Sheldon Cooper from tbbt acts when confronted by people who arn't as smart as he is

Some people may have also been mocked / bullied when they were younger for thier smarts or the grasp of the "unkown" and to them they arn't being 'dicks' they are just standing up for themselves
I produce more of the goods and of a better quality, don't engage in bickering behind backs and have good communication with the team. How can I not be better than some of the older people?

Because being better can cover a lot of things!

And aren't you engaging in bickering behind your employee's backs now?
Because being better can cover a lot of things!

And aren't you engaging in bickering behind your employee's backs now?

Yes, in a harmless way, not at work or with people who know and without names etc....
Yes, in a harmless way, not at work or with people who know and without names etc....

A lot of bickering is harmless: what difference does that make?
Reply 17
Maybe because they don't like the way young people at and the way they treat older people? Swearing at them in the street etc? You can't be rude to someone and expect them to be nice back.
A lot of bickering is harmless: what difference does that make?

U like arguing with moi?

Quick Reply

Latest