The Student Room Group

Low iron

I know I have a low iron deficiency. My doctor prescribed me iron pills 3 years ago then took me off them. I have been ok since then up until this week. I have been taking floradix by the way. Anyway I feel awful, I feel sleepless no matter how many hours sleep I get. When I'm constantly on the move I don't really notice it but once I sit down I'm ready to sleep. Right now my whole body is aching. For the past two days it's taken forever to fall asleep. I booked my doc appointment but it's sooo far away. I've changed up my diet aswell which obviously won't kick in ASAP.

What else can I do???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
How often do you check the iron level in your blood? It is normal that you feel sleepy and tired because iron carries oxygen in hemoglobin. But can't you get enough iron from food?
It is much better to get it from normal source than the pills.
Reply 2
Original post by alijimi
How often do you check the iron level in your blood? It is normal that you feel sleepy and tired because iron carries oxygen in hemoglobin. But can't you get enough iron from food?
It is much better to get it from normal source than the pills.

To be honest when I first found out I was low on iron I wasn't really told anything. My doctor just prescribed me the pills and I didn't think it was really that bad. The next time I saw another doctor he says I'm anemic and went into a little more detail. Then I was taken off the pills cos the dosage may be too high and I was in danger of damaging my liver. I started talking floradix because it has the iron I need but it clearly isn't enough. My eating habits are terrible lately so I know that's why it's kicked in.

I have changed my diet. I'm so fed up of feeling like this and I know in the long run it will be beneficial. I'm eating vegatables with all meals or at least snacking on them. Hopefully it works out!
I think I have low iron too. I'm always shattered. After just going for a walk outside, I feel really drowsy and can barely keep my eyes open.

My diet has been pretty awful in recent months, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm eating much better now, though, due to the return of my appetite :cookie:

I'm not sure what else to add. Just google "iron rich" foods, and gobble them all up. That is my plan :bigsmile:
Reply 4
Original post by Maid Marian
I think I have low iron too. I'm always shattered. After just going for a walk outside, I feel really drowsy and can barely keep my eyes open.

My diet has been pretty awful in recent months, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm eating much better now, though, due to the return of my appetite :cookie:

I'm not sure what else to add. Just google "iron rich" foods, and gobble them all up. That is my plan :bigsmile:

Lol I'm so tired I read through your post and thought "did I write this?". My appetites gone too. I better go eat some spinach then! Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by phunky_fresh

What else can I do???

Change up your diet to get more iron in it, or buy iron supplements (or other supplements contaiing iron) from a chemist.
Reply 6
I have an iron supplement for my iron deficiency, it's really helped me feel a lot better.

Its this one http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/health-supplements-vitamins-minerals-floradix-liquid-iron-formula-500ml#.Uoc7n_nk-So
Reply 7
I had an iron deficiency earlier this year and my dr put me on a course of iron tablets which worked. However, I feel I am becoming anemic again so I am trying to increase my iron levels.The following food contains iron:

Baked beans
Dark chocolate
Nuts
Lentils
Spinach
Breakfast cereals contain iron too
Offal such as kidney ( yeah I dont eat it either)
Orange juice
Reply 8
Original post by hslt
Change up your diet to get more iron in it, or buy iron supplements (or other supplements contaiing iron) from a chemist.

Thanks. Going to get a blood test first so I get the right dosage.
Reply 9
Original post by Bloxorus
I have an iron supplement for my iron deficiency, it's really helped me feel a lot better.

Its this one http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/health-supplements-vitamins-minerals-floradix-liquid-iron-formula-500ml#.Uoc7n_nk-So

Thanks. I take this every so often as well. It has helped me too. I order it on amazon though it works out cheaper :smile:

Original post by Annie72
I had an iron deficiency earlier this year and my dr put me on a course of iron tablets which worked. However, I feel I am becoming anemic again so I am trying to increase my iron levels.The following food contains iron:

Baked beans
Dark chocolate
Nuts
Lentils
Spinach
Breakfast cereals contain iron too
Offal such as kidney ( yeah I dont eat it either)
Orange juice

Ugh I will not eat kidneys/liver lol. I was reading online that I need vitamin C as well to absorb the iron, so I've added orange juice to the list. I can't wait to feel like myself again!!! Thank you
Reply 10
Thanks. I take this every so often as well. It has helped me too. I order it on amazon though it works out cheaper :smile:

Ugh I will not eat kidneys/liver lol. I was reading online that I need vitamin C as well to absorb the iron, so I've added orange juice to the list. I can't wait to feel like myself again!!! Thank you

Forgot to add in my post that tinned fish such as pilchards and sardines along with dried fruit also contain iron.Hope you are feeling better soon :smile:
Original post by Maid Marian

I also feel knackered, especially in the evenings. Sometimes it just hits me like a train.
Original post by Annie72
Forgot to add in my post that tinned fish such as pilchards and sardines along with dried fruit also contain iron.Hope you are feeling better soon :smile:

Thank you. I literally asked my mum to buy me some sardines and mackerel this morning lol. I hope you get yours under control.
Reply 13
Thank you. I literally asked my mum to buy me some sardines and mackerel this morning lol. I hope you get yours under control.

Yes I hope so too :smile:
Reply 14
Are there any teas which help to reduce iron deficiency? I've seen some articles advising iron deficient individuals to reduce their tea consumption, but I'm curious whether anyone knows of any healthy tea types? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest