The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

62% of women have rape fantasies?!! ladies , care to explain?

Poll

have you had fantasies about being raped?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19085605

This study evaluated the rape fantasies of female undergraduates (N = 355) using a fantasy checklist that reflected the legal definition of rape and a sexual fantasy log that included systematic prompts and self-ratings. Results indicated that 62% of women have had a rape fantasy, which is somewhat higher than previous estimates.

well, have you? care to elaborate?

Scroll to see replies

Oh dear.

1) 'using a fantasy checklist that included sytematic prompts and checklists'. So the authors have defined what they themselves arbitrarily believe is the scientific definition of 'rape fantasy'. So the first error is therefore the non-scientifically proven and peer accepted definition of rape fantasy.

2) The study is very stratified in that it is only valid for university undergraduates. It therefore does not by any means whatsoever represent the population distribution of a large town let alone extrapolated to be valid for a country or the world.

3) It is likely that 2) above is further constrained by the study participants being voluntary participants and therefore again not representative of a normal population distribution.

4) 'systematic prompts and checklists'. i.e. another way of saying multiple choice. The respondents must therefore answer within strict constraints. It is likely that the answers will force the respondent away from the middle ground which again is a commin failing of such techniques.

I really should not go on as there is absolutely no point in arguing with results so flawed as to be worthless.
It's only a fantasy...real life and play play is very different!
I think girls like to be dominated etc but they want to be in control in terms of stopping it lol.
Reply 3
Id say as a guess its the thought of being dominated by the man that turns women on in regards to this.

Pinning them down, biting, throwing them around, slapping their arse, being rough etc...

Spoiler

It's more the idea of girls being dominated. Of course, these girls wouldn't actually want a stranger to do it, but someone who they know and trust (for example, a boyfriend) because they know they can just tell them to stop if they no longer want to carry on.
Reply 5
I haven't had this fantasy, but I think what you have to remember is that it would be roleplay, and that there would be a safeword so the woman can stop if she's feeling uncomfortable. So while it is acting out a rape, it's also without the danger- and of course, they actually know the person playing the 'rapist', and are willing to have sex with them in real life.
Reply 6
This fantasy thing is a bit hard to believe, otherwise a lot of people need psychiatric treatment.
The key word is "fantasy": lots of people get excited by imagining things that they would hate in real life.
It's a fantasy, it doesn't mean they actually want to be raped in RL!! It's just the idea of being dominated that girls like :redface:
Fantasy - check the meaning
Original post by Maid Marian
It's a fantasy, it doesn't mean they actually want to be raped in RL!! It's just the idea of being dominated that girls like :redface:

Do you like it? :hubba:
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Do you like it? :hubba:

A lady will not disclose such matters :huff:
I think it's defo not uncommon to have domination fantasies.... so like sex handcuffed blah blah blah but some people get mixed up between this and rape fantasies assuming that they're pretty much the same things which to some degree makes this study invalid. Of course there are a fair amount of girls that have these but I think it's defo less to what we are led to believe. Domination fantasies on the other hand......
Reply 13
why are most women so desperate to be dominated?
Reply 14
I think that the mistake the survey maker made was to assume that domination and restraint are things that only happens in rape...

They seem to forget the existence of BDSM, and that the difference between BDSM and rape is consent.
Original post by mimi112
why are most women so desperate to be dominated?

Cavewoman instinct :yep:
Doubt there'd be enough raw and juicy confessions from girls considering there's no veil of anonymity to disguise our somewhat dark, depraved thoughts. Oh well.
Original post by uberteknik
Oh dear.

1) 'using a fantasy checklist that included sytematic prompts and checklists'. So the authors have defined what they themselves arbitrarily believe is the scientific definition of 'rape fantasy'. So the first error is therefore the non-scientifically proven and peer accepted definition of rape fantasy.

2) The study is very stratified in that it is only valid for university undergraduates. It therefore does not by any means whatsoever represent the population distribution of a large town let alone extrapolated to be valid for a country or the world.

3) It is likely that 2) above is further constrained by the study participants being voluntary participants and therefore again not representative of a normal population distribution.

4) 'systematic prompts and checklists'. i.e. another way of saying multiple choice. The respondents must therefore answer within strict constraints. It is likely that the answers will force the respondent away from the middle ground which again is a commin failing of such techniques.

I really should not go on as there is absolutely no point in arguing with results so flawed as to be worthless.

I don't really agree with your criticisms. It sounds to me like you only read the abstract! The authors clearly state:
Reponses to Items 1 through 5 on Table 1 were combined to form an overall estimation of the frequency of rape fantasy. In combination, these five items cover the range of variations in content found in the legal definition of rape.

Items 1-8 of the checklist are as follows:

1. Being overpowered or forced by a man to surrender sexually against my will.
2. Being overpowered or forced by a woman to surrender sexually against my will.
3. Being overpowered or forced into a sexual act against my will because I was incapacitated due to drugs, alcohol, or sleep.
4. Being overpowered or forced by a man to give him oral sex.
5. Being overpowered or forced by a woman to give her oral sex.
6. Being overpowered or forced to have anal sex.
7. Being raped by a man.
8. Being raped by a woman.

I don't think those definitions are at all arbitrary, and I think they're a very comprehensive view of how someone might view their fantasy. Subjects were required to answer all 8 questions on a scale from 0 (never) to 6 (several times a day). For the other methods of measure used in the study (the sexual fantasy log and Kanin's question), the definition was equally clear. Either using the word "rape" directly, or using the legal definition of rape as suggests above.

The authors don't extrapolate their data outside of the population sample (US Southwestern female undergraduates), so I don't think your 2nd criticism is really a valid appraisal of the study. This sort of limitation is the case with almost all human studies and is not a flaw in the study design - subsequent extrapolation from the population sample is a flaw of the data interpretor. In fact, the authors address this themselves:
These results are limited to university students. It would be important to replicate these findings with older women and with younger women outside the academic community.

3) I totally agree! I don't doubt that self-selection bias has systematically raised the reported prevalence (this is why repetition and consistency are so important in epidemiological studies!), but researchers incentivised participation with extra credit so as to attempt to lessen this effect - although it still remains significant.

4) Not at all. When someone wishes to measure prevalence and frequency, I don't think such methods are limiting at all! The authors want to investigate the existence of rape fantasies - and with their comprehensive definitions - I think they do this well. Epidemiological studies do similar when trying to measure the prevalence of disease: defining a case, then simply looking at databases (or even sometimes surveying subjects) to see if they meet the criteria. This is what's been done here.

I think the most interesting finding are here:
Using this methodology, 38% of participants never had a rape fantasy, 49% have rape fantasies with low frequency (once a month or less), and 14% have rape fantasies with high frequency (once a week or more).

However, the 62% figure is conflated by the combination of different items in the checklist. To give raw results:

Item 1: 52% reported having this fantasy
Item 2: 18% reported having this fantasy
Item 3: 25% reported having this fantasy
Item 4: 28% reported having this fantasy
Item 5: 10% reported having this fantasy
Item 6: 17% reported having this fantasy
Item 7: 33% reported having this fantasy
Item 8: 10% reported having this fantasy

The raw results give an interesting perspective on how the subjects view what "rape" actually is, imo. Given the disparity between item 7 directly asking "how often do you fantasise about being raped by a man?" and item 1 that asks "how often do you fantasise asking about being forced to surrender sexually to a man against your will?"

However, when subjects were asked to discuss a sexual fantasy that involved the use of coercion or aggression. Only a quarter of women wrote about, what qualified in the case definition, as a rape fantasy.

Interesting study, imo. I think the study is totally valid, but the measurements of prevalence and frequency have been artificially increased by the biases present and the statistical analysis used. Would like to see other authors replicate the same study.

Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I think that the mistake the survey maker made was to assume that domination and restraint are things that only happens in rape...

They seem to forget the existence of BDSM, and that the difference between BDSM and rape is consent.

All definitions used by the authors explicitly note "lack of consent" as a part of the criteria, with the exception of items 4 - 6, which introduces a potential source of ambiguity for the study subjects. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Maid Marian
Cavewoman instinct :yep:

which is what?
A lot of women like the idea of being 'forced' to do something an illusory sense. In their fantasy, they're the ones really in control because they're playing it out (and consenting) in their minds. This is not the same as being raped in real life.

Latest

Trending

Trending