The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2180
Original post by Giant
What a day!

Got an invitation to the UCL open day thing, and I got an AAB offer from Warwick! (I have an A* in maths already)

So excited :biggrin:

Today was supposed to be the deadline for the 5 weeks email from LSE, but instead I've got two others! Just LSE and Cambridge to go now!

Did you get the Warwick offer for straight economics?
Reply 2181
Original post by robin1125
Unconditional if I firm it

Amazing good luck :smile: I don't know how bham can discriminate you based on whether you put it as your firm or insurance, it seems unfair to me. I would have loved to put it as insurance. UCAS shouldn't allow this ahaha
Reply 2182
Original post by Rafael_96
Do you know when the other open days are and when the invitations for them will be handed out?
There's 200 places for Economics at UCL though guessing they'll give 300+ offers or more due to some taking other universities.
I would personally take UCL over Oxford, wish there was a way of hinting this to the Econ tutors haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest why would you take UCL over Oxford, is London swinging it for you, i don't know anyone who would do that :biggrin:
Original post by Giant
Yes! I got an interview for King's as well :smile: It's on the 9th of December at 15.40

Congrats! ^^

Looking at the transport though, it's going to take 3 hours+ and cost me £70.00 to get there so it looks like I'll have to get there on Sunday and stay the night. :/
Reply 2184
Original post by econ1554
Did you get the Warwick offer for straight economics?

Yes

Original post by Epic Flawless
Congrats! ^^

Looking at the transport though, it's going to take 3 hours+ and cost me £70.00 to get there so it looks like I'll have to get there on Sunday and stay the night. :/

Are you going from London?
Original post by Giant
Are you going from London?

Nope, from Birmingham. :<
Nope, from Birmingham. :<

Ah that sucks XD.
Original post by econ1554
Amazing good luck :smile: I don't know how bham can discriminate you based on whether you put it as your firm or insurance, it seems unfair to me. I would have loved to put it as insurance. UCAS shouldn't allow this ahaha

It's some sort of scheme to persuade people to pick them over other A*AA universities I guess...
Reply 2188
Thanks! :smile:

Yea, pure economics. My interview date is on the 9th December so I don't think it's the same for everyone.

By the way, I also just got an offer from Warwick! :P This is a good day!

Kings does pure economics?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2189
Thanks! :smile:

Yea, pure economics. My interview date is on the 9th December so I don't think it's the same for everyone.

By the way, I also just got an offer from Warwick! :P This is a good day!

Congratulations btw! ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ritikaaurora
Kings does pure economics?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you misunderstood Epic Flawless. He was referring to King's College, Cambridge rather than the University in London. :smile:
struggling to decide which to firm over UCL or Bath ( assuming UCL give me an offer ). Bath appeals to me much more, the campus university idea is fantastic, great location, placement year at a top financial firm etc. But... UCL has a much better ratio of males:females. only 33% female at Bath, and 41% female at UCL studying Economics :colone:
Original post by Fas
struggling to decide which to firm over UCL or Bath ( assuming UCL give me an offer ). Bath appeals to me much more, the campus university idea is fantastic, great location, placement year at a top financial firm etc. But... UCL has a much better ratio of males:females. only 33% female at Bath, and 41% female at UCL studying Economics :colone:

A lot of people would tell you to firm UCL due to the higher prestige but at the end of the day, there's no point going somewhere you may not even enjoy just because of prestige.
Go where you think you'll be happier, thats all the advice I can give you.
Original post by Fas

Never doubt your penis, pick UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dilzo999

Posted from TSR Mobile

some fine advice my friend, i thought the same too.
Original post by Fas
some fine advice my friend, i thought the same too.

To be honest though, UCL is a lot more prestigious than Bath, is in a decent location where you can get work experience. But truly if you feel like you'd be better at Bath then pick Bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same advice my father gave me ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
18th October it was received by UCAS :smile:

I got an offer the same day too and I applied the same day. What's your first choice?
To be honest though, UCL is a lot more prestigious than Bath, is in a decent location where you can get work experience. But truly if you feel like you'd be better at Bath then pick Bath.

yeah, i would pick UCL over Bath anyday if im honest ( originally didnt think so haha) the only thing which would sway me to bath would be that the A* has not been specified in my offer, whilst if UCL give me an offer they'll want an A* in Maths. Maths is my strongest subject and i stand the biggest chance of getting an A* in that, but still...
Original post by Fas
yeah, i would pick UCL over Bath anyday if im honest ( originally didnt think so haha) the only thing which would sway me to bath would be that the A* has not been specified in my offer, whilst if UCL give me an offer they'll want an A* in Maths. Maths is my strongest subject and i stand the biggest chance of getting an A* in that, but still...

If I were you then I would leave this decision until you get an offer/rejection from UCL. No point splitting hairs over it at this stage. Although definitely UCL. It's a target uni which you should consider since it seems you want to go into banking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending