The Student Room Group

In so much pain. Need advice on what to do.

Hi. I have been in agony pain since last Thursday. During this time I've been to A&E twice, had various blood tests and yesterday I had a scan which confirmed I have gallstones. I was told that my GP will be in touch next week to discuss.

I am in absolute agony though and don't know what to do. I cannot put up with this pain for much longer but know that if I go to A&E I will be treat as a non emergency and as if I am wasting their time. I have paracetamol and iboprufen every 4 hours which is not easing the pain. I have done some research and the waiting list for gallbladder surgery at my local hospital is 88 days. I simply cannot go on this long as it's affecting my life. I can't do anything and I can't sleep.

Please, I appreciate any advice on what to do. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Apparently drinking lots of water help, but tell your doctor how its affecting you
Reply 2
Ring your doc and ask for a stronger painkiller... pethidine or some such.
Reply 3
My doctors surgery is closed today :frown: what's te strongest over the counter painkiller?
Original post by Anonymous
My doctors surgery is closed today :frown: what's te strongest over the counter painkiller?

Does your area have an out of hours GP service? Mine has helped me a lot in the past and in some cases has resulted in me being seen faster than if I'd gone to A&E in the first place. If not, you may just have to go to A&E, it would still get you seen faster than I you waited until Monday...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Ring out of hours doctor and get some tramadol
lol@pethidine comment
Reply 6
Strongest otc painkiller is probably 500mg/8mg cocodamol
Reply 7
Original post by Carpediemxx
Ring out of hours doctor and get some tramadol
lol@pethidine comment

I also thought pethidine was a strange suggestion...

As mentioned, get some Tramadol. It's probably the strongest painkiller that you'll be able to get and most GP's should be comfortable in prescribing it for you.

The strongest painkiller that you can get OTC is called Paramol which is a combination of Paracetamol and 7.42mg Dihydrocodeine (per 500mg of Paracetamol, so 14.92mg per dose). Failing that you can get Co-codamol everywhere which is a mixture of Paracetamol and Codeine Phosphate.

You can also increase your dose of Ibuprofen from 4x400mg to 4x800mg. It's not really recommended in the UK but higher doses of Ibuprofen are quite common throughout Europe, though it may upset your stomach a little bit.

Get yourself to an out of hours surgery.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
thanks for replies. nearest out of hours service is actually over 15 miles away. I may just have to go to a pharmacy and see what they suggest. I physically cannot stand this, I have never felt as ill in my life!
How bad is it? Can't you get someone to go to the pharmacy for you? Hope you figure something out :frown:
Reply 10
Drink water. This is not an immediate treatment but gradual so do not over do it. This is better than many other treatments available.

Sorry that you are in such pain :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scoobster
I also thought pethidine was a strange suggestion...

As mentioned, get some Tramadol. It's probably the strongest painkiller that you'll be able to get and most GP's should be comfortable in prescribing it for you.

The strongest painkiller that you can get OTC is called Paramol which is a combination of Paracetamol and 7.42mg Dihydrocodeine (per 500mg of Paracetamol, so 14.92mg per dose). Failing that you can get Co-codamol everywhere which is a mixture of Paracetamol and Codeine Phosphate.

You can also increase your dose of Ibuprofen from 4x400mg to 4x800mg. It's not really recommended in the UK but higher doses of Ibuprofen are quite common throughout Europe, though it may upset your stomach a little bit.

Get yourself to an out of hours surgery.

solpadeine max is stronger i think. 12.8mg/500mg paracetamol and you can take 2 so thats about 25mg per dosage? I could be wrong though.
Reply 12
Original post by deedee123
solpadeine max is stronger i think. 12.8mg/500mg paracetamol and you can take 2 so thats about 25mg per dosage? I could be wrong though.

Solpadeine Max contains Codeine, not Dihydrocodeine ^_^

Ahhh okay.

Problem with dihydrocodeine is it sucks
Reply 15
Problem with dihydrocodeine is it sucks

In what aspect? I've actually found it to be one of the better weak opioids tbh.
Reply 16
Stay safe pls.
In what aspect? I've actually found it to be one of the better weak opioids tbh.

It just doesn't produce good analgesia in a good number of people. It is probably the worst codiene based pain killer
Codeine itself is terrible too, somewhere between 20 to 40 % of humans cannot even metabolise it producing no pain relief
It constipates like a bitch too

I like tramadol due to its serotonergic mechanism
Critics of it say it makes people go loopy, but i haven't experience that much with my patients and it works very well.
If it's REALLY bad go to A+E, this is what the doctor told my sister when she was complaining about her gallstones. Hope you feel better soon!
Reply 19
It just doesn't produce good analgesia in a good number of people. It is probably the worst codiene based pain killer
Codeine itself is terrible too, somewhere between 20 to 40 % of humans cannot even metabolise it producing no pain relief
It constipates like a bitch too

I like tramadol due to its serotonergic mechanism
Critics of it say it makes people go loopy, but i haven't experience that much with my patients and it works very well.

Without getting too technical, it's fair to say that:
Codeine is mainly metabolised into Morphine by CYP2D6.
Tramadol is mainly metabolised into Desmethyltramadol by CYP2D6.

So if a person has low CYP2D6 activity, this will nullify the analgesic effects of both Codeine and Tramadol, rendering both quite ineffective.

To say that up to 40% of people cannot metabolise Codeine is grossly inaccurate. Research shows that the figure is closer to:
6-10% of Caucasians
2-5% of Africans
1% of Asians

Though as you say, Tramadol does have the advantage of it's Serotonergic effects.

Latest