The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pane123
Ashley Cole has been the best left back in the Premier League for the past few seasons and he still is.

Nope.
Original post by pinda.college
His ability beyond the half way line is unquestionable however, I would much rather prefer Cole's defensive work near the goal than Baine's attacking threat in Brazil next summer.

Baines is more than capable defensively. To swap Baines for Cole would be like shooting yourself in the foot; weakening that left side.
Original post by pane123
Ashley Cole has been the best left back in the Premier League for the past few seasons and he still is.

No, he hasn't been the best left back for at least 18 months. This season I wouldnt even have him in the top 3.

Alexis Sanchez :adore:
Original post by Malevolent

Alexis Sanchez :adore:

He was very good at Udinese since he came to Barca he has been meh. But this season he's performing much better.
Reply 8605
Original post by pinda.college
His ability beyond the half way line is unquestionable however, I would much rather prefer Cole's defensive work near the goal than Baine's attacking threat in Brazil next summer.

I agree. Their job first and foremost is to defend and Cole still does that better than Baines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
He was very good at Udinese since he came to Barca he has been meh. But this season he's performing much better.

Yup first season at Barcelona was alright but the second was poor until the non important part of the season.

Suddenly managed to hit some rich vein of form.
Original post by Skkc16
I agree. Their job first and foremost is to defend and Cole still does that better than Baines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On current form? The same Cole who has been ripped to shreds by Newcastle and West Brom the last 2 games?
Reply 8608
Original post by Stylo92
On current form? The same Cole who has been ripped to shreds by Newcastle and West Brom the last 2 games?

He didn't even play against West Brom. And against Newcastle he only made one mistake where stopped running allowing a player to come from behind him and have a shot. If we are playing good teams where we are going to be defensive Cole has to be number 1.
Original post by Skkc16
He didn't even play against West Brom. And against Newcastle he only made one mistake where stopped running allowing a player to come from behind him and have a shot. If we are playing good teams where we are going to be defensive Cole has to be number 1.

LB is of no concern, really. If we are going to face better teams we are going to be exposed regardless due to lack of quality in other areas. Ashley Cole isn't superman, and although alright defensively I'd rather have the option of Baines who can deliver crosses that can harm the 'better teams'. as well as being more than capable defensively (he's proved that week in, week out for Everton, people seem to forget this).
Original post by little_wizard123
Which England do you know? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

the england that beat spain in a friendly at home
yeah the only reason why Sánchez Sánchez is doing so well lately is because Messi's been crocked. Oh, and Forster's still got to keep him from scoring at Camp Nou :tongue:
Reply 8612
The problem last night was that the players who came in seemed too frightened to make a mistake. They would play the easy pass and blend into the background.

Look at Townsend. I find him massively over-rated, but he saw a chance, played positively, and has now got 2 or 3 caps off it.
According to Andre Schurrle Rooney wouldn't get into the German squad, Rooney>Klose & Gomez.
Reply 8614
Original post by Kruz
According to Andre Schurrle Rooney wouldn't get into the German squad, Rooney>Klose & Gomez.

What he said was this: "Rooney is a great player, but we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don’t know if he would play." Sounds much less dramatic, doesn't it? The head line just blew it up.
Reply 8615
The team to face Germany will be: Hart, Walker, Smalling, Jagielka, Cole, Lallana, Gerrard, Cleverley, Townsend, Rooney, Sturridge.

Will be interesting to see how the CBs hold up. Good to see Lallana in the lineup again, he did well on Friday. Cleverley though smh

Posted from TSR Mobile
would rather see Henderson in midfield than Cleverley. Other than that it's a good team and close to what I expected
It's a joke that Cleverly is in the squad at all, really.

Another example of England players being in the national team solely because of the team they play for.
Will be a boring game... England with all 11 men defending while Germany try and score. Will probably finish 1-0 to either team
Even if we lose/get battered tonight, at least we can look over the Channel and hope that France get knocked out of the world cup qualifying play-offs (currently 2-0 down to Ukraine).

Latest