The Student Room Group

Core 1 help please!

Question: I have found out 3 co-ordinates of a triangle (0,0), (0,-7) and (3,-6) from previous questions, now I am asked to find the area of this triangle. How is this possible if I don't know the height and all the lengths are different?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by luke5675
Question: I have found out 3 co-ordinates of a triangle (0,0), (0,-7) and (3,-6) from previous questions, now I am asked to find the area of this triangle. How is this possible if I don't know the height and all the lengths are different?

Thanks in advance!

You do know both the base and the height

I suggest that you sketch a diagram and all should become clear
Reply 2
Yes, sketch looks like right angled, but line (0,0) to (0,-7) is not perpendicular to the line (0-7) to (3,-6)? So this means that the height is not -7 as it is not a right angled triangle?
Reply 3
Yes, sketch looks like right angled, but line (0,0) to (0,-7) is not perpendicular to the line (0-7) to (3,-6)? So this means that the height is not -7 as it is not a right angled triangle?

It is not right angled but you have a base that is on one of the axes and therefore know the height
Reply 4
Sorry about this, still slightly confused as would that not be the slanted height of triangle?
Reply 5
Sorry about this, still slightly confused as would that not be the slanted height of triangle?

I am not sure what you are looking at

Having drawn the triangle you should have a base (on the y-axis) and 2 slanting sides

Draw the height in - you should be able to see instantly how tall the triangle is
Use pythagoras to find the distance between the points :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by THEMathlete
Use pythagoras to find the distance between the points :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why

That will not help to solve this problem at all
Reply 8
Sorry it took quite a while to see this, understand what you are saying now though. Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 9
Sorry it took quite a while to see this, understand what you are saying now though. Thanks for your help! :smile:

:biggrin:

In C1 - all questions of this sort will have 2 co-ordinates that form the base then you you just need to draw in the height
Find the lengths between the points

I.E distance= (x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2 do for all sides the put each number on their respective side and use 1\2height x base
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by techno-thriller
Find the lengths between the points

I.E distance= (x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2 do for all sides the put each number on their respective side and use 1\2heightxbase

This is nonsense - in no way does it help to solve the problem given
Original post by TenOfThem
This is nonsense - in no way does it help to solve the problem given

:confused:

I was just doing a problem like this.
Reply 13
Triangle doesn't have to be right-angled :smile: If the co-ordinates you gave are correct, then the area is 10.5 squared units
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
don't know why it's upside down! haha
the base is seven and height is 3, and that can be derived from the question itself once you draw out the triangle on a graph. then your answer will be 0.5*base*height
Original post by techno-thriller
:confused:

I was just doing a problem like this.

incorrectly, I assume

there is no need for Pythagoras in this question
Reply 17
Didn't expect so many responses to my first post! Thanks a lot for all of your feedback :smile:
Didn't expect so many responses to my first post! Thanks a lot for all of your feedback :smile:

Welcome to maths :biggrin:
Reply 19
Honestly... I think you can just use the formula

Area of triangle =
| x1 x2 x3 x1 |
| y1 y2 y3 y1 |

= 1/2[(x1 x y2) + (x2 x y3) + (x3 x y1) - (y1 x x2) - (y2 x x3) - (y3 x x1)]

Quick Reply

Latest