The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Usy, my TSR is glitching so I wasn't able to quote you. Probably not, but I might make updates on the blog section of my site :h:
How are you? Still frantically checking mail?
Oooh, the sun's flipping upside down in a few weeks :teeth:

Original post by keromedic
Usy, my TSR is glitching so I wasn't able to quote you. Probably not, but I might make updates on the blog section of my site :h:
How are you? Still frantically checking mail?

No worries! :biggrin: Fair enough, I'll be sure to have a look from time to time. :biggrin:

I am good thanks! :biggrin: Haha, yup, I am! :lol: I got an email today from Amazon with the subject being "Hot offers". For a mad moment, I got excited and thought it was from my uni's but then saw who it was from and got sad :lol:
Original post by usycool1

No worries! :biggrin: Fair enough, I'll be sure to have a look from time to time. :biggrin:

I am good thanks! :biggrin: Haha, yup, I am! :lol: I got an email today from Amazon with the subject being "Hot offers". For a mad moment, I got excited and thought it was from my uni's but then saw who it was from and got sad :lol:

Cool :h:
Nice. Why don't you filter emails with uni tags to an appropriate folder and specialize an alert tone for those?
Anyone had any offers yet? :smile:
Original post by Blueray2
Anyone had any offers yet? :smile:

Two, as of last night. And a guaranteed third after my interview. :smile: I think quite a few people around here have!

... except the medics. :tongue: Poor dears.
Hey there, I did this question from M1, and got the right answer (-4.7m so 4.7m above ground)...BUT I don't get how this method works...can someone explain how this method finds the distance the point from which the ball is thrown is above ground, and not just the height from which the ball falls once it reaches 0ms-1 (if you know what I mean...)

A ball is thrown vertically upwards with speed 21 m s 1. It hits the ground 4.5 s later. Find the height above the groundfrom which the ball was thrown.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dr. Django
Hey there, I did this question from M1, and got the right answer (-4.7m so 4.7m above ground)...BUT I don't get how this method works...can someone explain how this method finds the distance the point from which the ball is thrown is above ground, and not just the height from which the ball falls once it reaches 0ms-1 (if you know what I mean...)

A ball is thrown vertically upwards with speed 21 m s 1. It hits the ground 4.5 s later. Find the height above the groundfrom which the ball was thrown.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but when the ball hits the ground, it won't hit it at 0ms^-1. Is that what you're asking or...? :tongue:

I don't understand what you're asking? You just use SUVAT and use V=0 as that's the greatest height.
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but when the ball hits the ground, it won't hit it at 0ms^-1. Is that what you're asking or...? :tongue:

Original post by Dilzo999
I don't understand what you're asking? You just use SUVAT and use V=0 as that's the greatest height.

Ok, I think I'm being an idiot :tongue: But basically this is what I mean:

If it is thrown from a point above ground then the distance from this point to the point where the ball stops travelling upwards (hence has a speed of 0ms-1) is different to the distance from the point where the speed is 0ms-1 to the ground.

And basically, what I want to know is: how from just using u (21), -9.8 (a) and t (4.5) would you be able to work this out?? I know you use s=ut+1/2at^2 BUT I don't see how this will give you the distance that the point of being thrown is above ground??

I know how to do it to get the marks but my brain is confuzzled at how this tells you specifcally the distance and not the whole distance the ball travels!

If it is thrown from a point above ground then the distance from this point to the point where the ball stops travelling upwards (hence has a speed of 0ms-1) is different to the distance from the point where the speed is 0ms-1 to the ground.

When it has speed 0ms^-1, it'll be at its greatest possible height after you've thrown it. So this will be higher than from where you threw it, meaning it'll have to fall a greater distance. :tongue:

And basically, what I want to know is: how from just using u (21), -9.8 (a) and t (4.5) would you be able to work this out?? I know you use s=ut+1/2at^2 BUT I don't see how this will give you the distance that the point of being thrown is above ground??

I know how to do it to get the marks but my brain is confuzzled at how this tells you specifcally the distance and not the whole distance the ball travels!

Ah I see what you're saying (I think :tongue:), but remember that s is the displacement (i.e. how far it is from the starting point) and not the distance. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
When it has speed 0ms^-1, it'll be at its greatest possible height after you've thrown it. So this will be higher than from where you threw it, meaning it'll have to fall a greater distance. :tongue:

Ah I see what you're saying (I think :tongue:), but remember that s is the displacement (i.e. how far it is from the starting point) and not the distance. :smile:

OH MY DAYZ IM STUPID!! Forgot the meaning of displacement haha!! Thanks a lot for that, I now understand why this works!! Thanks so much :smile:
The gym was surprisingly empty today considering its a Saturday, and I actually liked it like that :colone:
Original post by lucine.B
Mmm, sometimes I can tolerate a book about romance. Have read a few, yes its definitely the movie haha!
I have quite varied likes. Erm I enjoy a good book really, usually murder ones/ those about crime or controversial ones and what not. Er...period books and fantasy books :smile:
Really love A thousand splendid suns, Heartstone, Phillip Pullman books, Michael Mupurgo, The knife of never letting go and many others. Those are just the ones I'e read recently except the authors I've mentioned. Read them a while ago. Wbu???

Omg, I absolutely ADORE A Thousand Splendid Suns! :biggrin: I've also read two books from Philip Pullmans 'His Dark Materials' trilogy (The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). I enjoy classics like Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (easily surpasses Austin!), Anna Karenina etc etc and modern lit too, like A Streetcar Named Desire, The Great Gatsby etc. Oh, I also like plays by Oscar Wilde. :wink:
Reply 7113
Original post by mynameisntbobk
The gym was surprisingly empty today considering its a Saturday, and I actually liked it like that :colone:

What do u don in the gym?
Reply 7114
The wait for uni offers is becoming slightly worrying now :frown:
Still NO offers :cry2:
Original post by ethery
Two, as of last night. And a guaranteed third after my interview. :smile: I think quite a few people around here have!

... except the medics. :tongue: Poor dears.

Nice :biggrin: What course and unis are they, and how long after you sent it off did they reply? :smile:
Original post by mynameisntbobk

A single dench hench man in the gym alone, busting out 1000kg on each arm :colone:
Nice :biggrin: What course and unis are they, and how long after you sent it off did they reply? :smile:

AAB from Bath, ABB from Nottingham, interviews from York and Bristol. All for chemistry with a year abroad. :biggrin:

Well, I sent off my application on the 6th of November. Invite to interview at York came six hours later. :tongue: I got both my offers and second interview invitation last night!

How about you? Sent yours off yet? What are you applying for? :smile:
Original post by Prinz655
The wait for uni offers is becoming slightly worrying now :frown:
Still NO offers :cry2:

There's no need to worry yet!! :frown: What are you applying for, and where? When did you send it off?
Original post by Prinz655
What do u don in the gym?

Mainly cardio, a bit of legs and thighs today though

A single dench hench man in the gym alone, busting out 1000kg on each arm :colone:

I'm not dench :tongue::wink:

Latest