The Student Room Group

Are ethnic minorities insecure about their British identity

Do they feel British ?

Why do they need constant re-assurance that they are British ?

Scroll to see replies

What do you mean by 'need constant reassurance that they are british'? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I find being called British quite degrading.
Reply 3
Original post by Almar

Why?

I don't like the term ethnic minority to describe myself really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Almar

why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by meenu89
Why?

I don't like the term ethnic minority to describe myself really.

Am the only one who feels that way? To be honest I can't really explain it. I mean I have always admired British people for, all the advances in science and technology that they have achieved but apart from that the label carries negativity to me. Maybe this might have something to do with the area I live (not far from a council estate), it's full of narrow minded dumb British people who act like sluts and thugs. I generally feel that British society is degenerate in nature at least compared to my country of origin. I know my view is not representative of all British people, but it's hard to shake of this view if you only hang out with your own people and all you experience of Britishness is my neighbourhood and EastEnders

Original post by Algorithm69
Maybe you should leave then.

I can't afford to :cry2:
I don't even associate myself with the term 'british'
Original post by deehee
Do they feel British ?

Why do they need constant re-assurance that they are British ?

Screw you. I'm British and we're not some sort of homogenous group... Some people identify more with where they're ethnically from, and others the country they were born in
Reply 8
We're British based on land, not on culture.

Not all of us drink alcohol every night, gamble, go clubbing every other night, smoke cannabis, prostitute ourselves (and others) or support a tyrannical and unjust war etc.
Original post by Al-Mudaari

Not all of us drink alcohol every night, gamble, go clubbing every other night, smoke cannabis, prostitute ourselves (and others) or support a tyrannical and unjust war etc.

I know plenty of white British people who don't smoke, gamble, or prostitute themselves and I know some white British people who don't drink, or go clubbing either.

I personally like things like museums, parks etc... They're pretty "British" attractions, as opposed to clubbing
Original post by Almar

I can't afford to :cry2:

With the exception perhaps of the commonwealth nations/Germany/Nordic countries, I honestly don't think that you'll find many places where you're treated with fairness ie: in other countries, your ethnicity or religion would HEAVILY put you down. In the UK, this is not the case at all.
Reply 11
Original post by de_monies
With the exception perhaps of the commonwealth nations/Germany/Nordic countries, I honestly don't think that you'll find many places where you're treated with fairness ie: in other countries, your ethnicity or religion would HEAVILY put you down. In the UK, this is not the case at all.

I would put up Canada, part of the reason is that Canada attracts harder working immigrants. Smart immigration policy, loads of natural resources, national pride is less made up of wars and conquests and us vs them mentality, harder to illegally immigrate to Canada with 3 oceans and a 1st world country as borders.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ukmed108
I would put up Canada, part of the reason is that Canada attracts harder working immigrants. Smart immigration policy, loads of natural resources, national pride is less made up of wars and conquests and us vs them mentality, harder to illegally immigrate to Canada with 3 oceans and a 1st world country as borders.

Canada comes under "commonwealth"

If you dislike the culture so much, why do you choose to live here? You would not be missed if you left to the glorious, cultured, enlightened Islamic world...
Reply 14
Original post by Zürich
If you dislike the culture so much, why do you choose to live here? You would not be missed if you left to the glorious, cultured, enlightened Islamic world...

No complaints to that here...
Reply 15
Original post by Zürich

I'm here for my reparations for British Colonialism :wink: I mean, you can't be expecting German's to pay it, and not yourself, especially for far worse crimes.

Also, culture doesn't define someone being British. The culture that many people conform to in this land today, was something else centuries ago and will be something else centuries later. It's just a present social acceptance that will change (which mind you, not everyone adheres to anyways) - whereas the land you were born and grew up in will always remain the same.

edit: lmao, always bringing religion into it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Most probability don't consider themselves British over their ethnicity

and rightly so.
I'm here for my reparations for British Colonialism :wink:

Well at least you can admit that your presence is parasitic and destructive.

Also many countries suffered from worse colonialism, South Korea/Singapore for example, and just highlight the complete failure of the Islamic world to achieve anything other than violence, ignorance and poverty. Poland's cities were literally destroyed to rubble in 1945 and then spent 45 years under extremely destructive Soviet rule. And yet again their society is infinitely superior to that of countries like Iran which have had nowhere near as much destruction imposed. Think about that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yaboy
Most probability don't consider themselves British over their ethnicity

and rightly so.

Well it depends some people don't have any connection with country of origin. I identify with my country of origin, I will usually say "Nigeria" if someone asks where I'm from.
Reply 19
Original post by Kruz
Well it depends some people don't have any connection with country of origin. I identify with my country of origin, I will usually say "Nigeria" if someone asks where I'm from.

Well they should imo.

you can take the man out of the country, but you cannot take the country out of the man.

Hence why Danny Welbeck is a disgrace

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending