The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9180
Original post by Roger1
Do you honestly think he will win wimby next year after his recent performances on grass?

Winning am not too sure on about that. But a decent performance like SF or F will do greatly.:smile:
Reply 9181
Original post by ubi1
Winning am not too sure on about that. But a decent performance like SF or F will do greatly.:smile:

Yeah, if he survives the first week, then he has a good chance. Although I would still pick Murray as the favourite.
Reply 9182
Original post by Roger1
Yeah, if he survives the first week, then he has a good chance. Although I would still pick Murray as the favourite.

What about Australia.
Reply 9183
Original post by ubi1
What about Australia.

Novak is the favourite, with Nadal as second favourite. Murray after his recent back surgery, I suspect won't be a threat until the grass court season. Dark horses are Delpo and Federer.
Reply 9184
Original post by Roger1
Novak is the favourite, with Nadal as second favourite. Murray after his recent back surgery, I suspect won't be a threat until the grass court season. Dark horses are Delpo and Federer.

Its going to be Nadal vs Murray in the semis for australia. Hopefully murray won't be ready.
Actually ferrer is no.3 so Nads and ferrer in the same draw and murray and Djoker in the same draw?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9185
Original post by ubi1
Its going to be Nadal vs Murray in the semis for australia. Hopefully murray won't be ready.

I suspect Murray would probably lose in the QFs, although he might not even play AO. He was alluding to that in a recent interview.
Reply 9186
Original post by Roger1
I suspect Murray would probably lose in the QFs, although he might not even play AO. He was alluding to that in a recent interview.

Since Djokovic is 2 and nads 1 they won't meet until Final. However Ferrer is no.3 so it might be nads and ferrer in the same draw and Djokovic and murray in the same draw. I want murray to play.
Reply 9187
Original post by ubi1
Since Djokovic is 2 and nads 1 they won't meet until Final. However Ferrer is no.3 so it might be nads and ferrer in the same draw and Djokovic and murray in the same draw. I want murray to play.

If Murray doesn't play then Delpo is the 4th seed. He could be a threatful opponent to have in your half. Federer is also a tricky QF. So if Nole gets Federer, Delpo in his half then he ain't winning it. However, AO usually go for 1v4 and 2v3, so Ferrer is likely to be in Nole's half.
Reply 9188
Original post by Roger1
If Murray doesn't play then Delpo is the 4th seed. He could be a threatful opponent to have in your half. Federer is also a tricky QF. So if Nole gets Federer, Delpo in his half then he ain't winning it. However, AO usually go for 1v4 and 2v3, so Ferrer is likely to be in Nole's half.

Yes I'd Imagine Rafa taking on Delpo in 4 sets. Murray is the key here. He needs to play otherwise he will lose 1200 points. This is one of the most important Australien Opens ever.
Reply 9189
Original post by ubi1
Yes I'd Imagine Rafa taking on Delpo in 4 sets. Murray is the key here. He needs to play otherwise he will lose 1200 points. This is one of the most important Australien Opens ever.

Yeah, he could drop out of top 4, as Delpo can gain a lot of points after not doing so well last year. Imagine Ferrer and Delpo in the top 4 ranked ahead of both Murray and Federer. That is a joke.
Original post by ubi1

Del Potro could be very dangerous for Nadal given their matches are rarely overwhelmingly in Nadal's favour. In 2009 he beat him 3 times in a row, in Wimbledon 11 he would have likely taken Nadal to 5 had he not injured his hip (momentum was strongly with him), this year alone he's been a set and break up and then crushed him in Shanghai.

I heard it said that the reason for this is Del Potro's arm-span and height which negates a lot of spin advantage that causes other players trouble.
Reply 9191
Original post by Roger1
Yeah, he could drop out of top 4, as Delpo can gain a lot of points after not doing so well last year. Imagine Ferrer and Delpo in the top 4 ranked ahead of both Murray and Federer. That is a joke.

Yh that will crack your head up laughing. But Fed will overtake Ferrer. Fed can gain from every tournament. aprt from Hale.:wink:
Reply 9192
Original post by ubi1
Yh that will crack your head up laughing. But Fed will overtake Ferrer. Fed can gain from every tournament. aprt from Hale.:wink:

And Roma.
Reply 9193
Original post by Rakas21
Del Potro could be very dangerous for Nadal given their matches are rarely overwhelmingly in Nadal's favour. In 2009 he beat him 3 times in a row, in Wimbledon 11 he would have likely taken Nadal to 5 had he not injured his hip (momentum was strongly with him), this year alone he's been a set and break up and then crushed him in Shanghai.

I heard it said that the reason for this is Del Potro's arm-span and height which negates a lot of spin advantage that causes other players trouble.

Delpo's dangerous but now Nadal has the slower hard court to his advantage along with the bounce.:wink:

Delpos strokes arent going to fly off as they with other hard courts.
Original post by ubi1
Delpo's dangerous but now Nadal has the slower hard court to his advantage along with the bounce.:wink:

Delpos strokes arent going to fly off as they with other hard courts.

Given that he's fairly good on clay i don't think Nadal has the massive advantage in Australia even, i expect their match (if it occurs) to go to 5.
Reply 9195
Original post by Roger1
And Roma.

Roma not that.:eek: Once upon a time he was 1 was point form roma.:wink:
Reply 9196
Original post by Rakas21
Given that he's fairly good on clay i don't think Nadal has the massive advantage in Australia even, i expect their match (if it occurs) to go to 5.

Depends really what sort of form Nadals in.
Did you know this is one of the most important Aussi opens out there.
Reply 9197
Original post by ubi1
Roma not that.:eek: Once upon a time he was 1 was point form roma.:wink:

That still stings my heart. I actually cried after that match. :frown:
Reply 9198
Original post by Roger1
That still stings my heart. I actually cried after that match. :frown:

Allow it Its one of the Masters. Even Nadal might not end of winning all of them but i think he should afterall he is the master in the sense that he has the most masters. Miami, shanghai and paris along with WTF are all achievable for Nadal in 2014. If he can win Cincy then he can get anything.
Reply 9199
Original post by ubi1
Allow it Its one of the Masters. Even Nadal might not end of winning all of them but i think he should afterall he is the master in the sense that he has the most masters. Miami, shanghai and paris along with WTF are all achievable for Nadal in 2014. If he can win Cincy then he can get anything.

Masters are actually important. And Nadal already has Shanghai. He won it in 2005 as Madrid indoors. He only needs Miami (likely) and Paris (unlikely) to complete the set.

Latest