The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Postgrad - Maximum distance allowed to live away from the Uni

Hi there,

I'm weighing up options for applying to Masters courses.

Is there a maximum distance in miles that you are required to live within? In terms of radius of miles?

Because an option is getting the train in each morning.

Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Jaswarbrick
Hi there,

I'm weighing up options for applying to Masters courses.

Is there a maximum distance in miles that you are required to live within? In terms of radius of miles?

Because an option is getting the train in each morning.

Many thanks

Nope, you're allowed to live wherever you want, as long as you can make it into uni each day. I'd recommend living as close as possible though (in terms of travel time) it'll make everything a lot easier! From where were you thinking of commuting?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Strangey
Nope, you're allowed to live wherever you want, as long as you can make it into uni each day. I'd recommend living as close as possible though (in terms of travel time) it'll make everything a lot easier! From where were you thinking of commuting?

Thanks, are you definitely sure on that? Because i'm currently an undergrad at York and I remember seeing somewhere you couldn't live more than 30 miles away for full-time and 60 miles for part-time. So I don't know if there is a similar rule for Manchester.

I'd be commuting from Southport, it's about an hour train to piccadilly, which I really wouldn't mind at all.

Cheers
Reply 3
Original post by Jaswarbrick
Thanks, are you definitely sure on that? Because i'm currently an undergrad at York and I remember seeing somewhere you couldn't live more than 30 miles away for full-time and 60 miles for part-time. So I don't know if there is a similar rule for Manchester.

I'd be commuting from Southport, it's about an hour train to piccadilly, which I really wouldn't mind at all.

Cheers

An hour would probably be the maximum distance you'd be looking at - remember you've got to get to and from the station as well. Masters' tend to be pretty full-on, so expect to be working at least 9-5 every day. I've never been told about any rules concerning living distance, when I applied or studied as an undergrad or a postgrad. As far as I'm aware it's left up to each student to be sensible and work out where they can live. I assume you'll be living at home? It'll still be very expensive when you consider transport costs and whatnot. There are plenty of cheap but nice places to live in Manchester - I'd give it some serious thought.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd live as close as possible. My friend commutes from Southampton-Portsmouth every day. It's not just the distance you have to think about though. Those two cities are quite close, but because of the route of the train, it takes a surprisingly long time. On Tuesdays we're in 10-8, he leaves his house at about 7 and gets back at about 11 ! Plus where I'm from is a very rural area with bits of dual carriageway on your route if you're lucky. The nearest city to my home town is 30 miles, but even without rushhour traffic it's nearly an hour to get there.
I'm not sure I'd fancy commuting that far. Don't forget to take into account the relative cost of public transport vs renting. I'm currently paying £59pw in rent + c. £12.50pw in bills for quite a nice house. The cost of public transport could very easily outstrip that.

National Rail shows it as being £15.90 per day (assuming you need to be there by 9am), or £12 with a railcard. Bearing in mind that Piccadilly isn't that close to campus, and you'll probably end up catching buses (80p each way on the uni bus, or ~£1.50 on the more frequent Stagecoach / Magic Buses), it's starting to look no cheaper to commute than rent in Manchester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending