The Student Room Group

Is my progress ok for 3.5 months? (nsfw pics)

I basically want to know how I'm doing since I started weight training in August.

Here's a pic of me before

and me last week

I've gone from 54kg to 62.5kg as of today.

In terms of weights, I've gone from not being able to dl 45kg to being able to dl 100kg, bench 70kg, and squat 85kg. Bench and squat are due to be reassessed soon, so those two figures are from last month.

My diet is something that I need to take care of, yet my problem is that I'm living at home and eating whatever my parents cook. I try to maintain a protein intake of a minimum of 100g each day.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ct2k7
I basically want to know how I'm doing since I started weight training in August.

Here's a pic of me before

and me last week

I've gone from 54kg to 62.5kg as of today.

In terms of weights, I've gone from not being able to dl 45kg to being able to dl 100kg, bench 70kg, and squat 85kg. Bench and squat are due to be reassessed soon, so those two figures are from last month.

My diet is something that I need to take care of, yet my problem is that I'm living at home and eating whatever my parents cook. I try to maintain a protein intake of a minimum of 100g each day.

Its hard to tell exactly because of the different camera position in each shot but you definitely look a lot fatter in the second pic (also more muscular).

With so much weight gain in 3.5 months at best it was probably 50/50 muscle/fat but you got a lot stronger so you definitely will have put on muscle.

Also are you like 5ft or something? I struggle to comprehend how you can have so much fat in the second pick (I don't mean to be rude- but you look quite "soft") yet only weigh 62.5kg...

Imo you are eating more than your body can deal with in terms of muscle growth so you are adding unecessary fat. Cut back a bit and remember that getting a great body will entail several years of alternating between cutting fat and building muscle so you will have to be in this for the long haul :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by In One Ear
Its hard to tell exactly because of the different camera position in each shot but you definitely look a lot fatter in the second pic (also more muscular).

With so much weight gain in 3.5 months at best it was probably 50/50 muscle/fat but you got a lot stronger so you definitely will have put on muscle.

Also are you like 5ft or something? I struggle to comprehend how you can have so much fat in the second pick (I don't mean to be rude- but you look quite "soft") yet only weigh 62.5kg...

Imo you are eating more than your body can deal with in terms of muscle growth so you are adding unecessary fat. Cut back a bit and remember that getting a great body will entail several years of alternating between cutting fat and building muscle so you will have to be in this for the long haul :smile:.

Yeah, I've definitely put on some fat.

I'm about 5'2", and my body shows it :P

How much should I really be eating? (I'm definitely in this for the long haul - my primary aim has always been strength, then comes aesthetics at a much lower priority).
You've definitely gone bigger, both fatter and more muscular as is apparent in the arms.

Where are them traps at tho?
Reply 4
Please, just do it.

Though my only other input is I think you need to address your diet, you seem to have put on quite a lot of fat, but that can be lost in time. Keep on at it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ct2k7
Yeah, I've definitely put on some fat.

I'm about 5'2", and my body shows it :P

How much should I really be eating? (I'm definitely in this for the long haul - my primary aim has always been strength, then comes aesthetics at a much lower priority).

You really don't need many more calories over maintenance tbh if you are natural since you won't be building muscle that quickly. Going more than 500 over maintenance daily is a waste IMO and is asking to get fat. By maintenance I mean whatever it takes for you to hold your weight even which is something you'll have to figure out yourself. At 5'2 and your weight and bf level its probably around 2k calories daily for maintenance so if you eat at 2.5k you should see a slow but steady increase in weight (and much more of it proportionately will be muscle since you are not overfeeding much). Just remember that whilst heavily overeating might slightly improve strength/muscle gains, you do have to "waste" the time later getting rid of set fat so its all a balancing game...
Reply 6
You've definitely put on shoulder mass, but you need to watch your bulk.
Reply 7
Sorry mate I can't tell the difference but you look to have a little more fat around the waist

your body position is different and the position you're in the photo is also different making it hard.

Not to mention that bloody hair on your body.
Shoulders got a lot bigger but another thing about putting on the weight so fast ( a lot of fat) is those nasty stretch marks you are getting on your shoulders- those can be bitches to get rid of!
Reply 9
Why are you doing a different pose, do the same one so we can actually make a comparison:rolleyes:
Reply 10
Original post by techno-thriller
You've definitely gone bigger, both fatter and more muscular as is apparent in the arms.

Where are them traps at tho?

I don't know... how do I develop the traps?

Original post by Scoobster
Please, just do it.

Though my only other input is I think you need to address your diet, you seem to have put on quite a lot of fat, but that can be lost in time. Keep on at it :smile:

for the love of hairy... nooooooooo :redface:. My past 6 hookups seemed to love the hair :redface: (and something to tug on my back)

Yeah, diet is now a concern.

You really don't need many more calories over maintenance tbh if you are natural since you won't be building muscle that quickly. Going more than 500 over maintenance daily is a waste IMO and is asking to get fat. By maintenance I mean whatever it takes for you to hold your weight even which is something you'll have to figure out yourself. At 5'2 and your weight and bf level its probably around 2k calories daily for maintenance so if you eat at 2.5k you should see a slow but steady increase in weight (and much more of it proportionately will be muscle since you are not overfeeding much). Just remember that whilst heavily overeating might slightly improve strength/muscle gains, you do have to "waste" the time later getting rid of set fat so its all a balancing game...

I've been told that I should be eating 2.5kcals, which is my target for each day. Most days I hit this.

Original post by 2ndClass
You've definitely put on shoulder mass, but you need to watch your bulk.

Will do, thx :smile:

Original post by yaboy
Sorry mate I can't tell the difference but you look to have a little more fat around the waist

your body position is different and the position you're in the photo is also different making it hard.

Not to mention that bloody hair on your body.

Hmm ok, I'll try to take a photo in the same position. The hair, is one thing I love though.

Shoulders got a lot bigger but another thing about putting on the weight so fast ( a lot of fat) is those nasty stretch marks you are getting on your shoulders- those can be bitches to get rid of!

Those stretch marks have been there since a few years ago when I ballooned in weigh, I used to be 64kg, went down to 51kg now I'm at 62 and not as fat.

Original post by MJ1012
Why are you doing a different pose, do the same one so we can actually make a comparison:rolleyes:

I'll try to take another photo soon.
you look bigger but traps really seem lacking. also try and do a similar pose as the first pic. past 6 hookups?

dat feel when only vaginas i get to see are in clinicals
Original post by AreebWithaHat
you look bigger but traps really seem lacking. also try and do a similar pose as the first pic. past 6 hookups?

dat feel when only vaginas i get to see are in clinicals

That's because all you do is study and lift. Go out to a club and deadlift the bouncer. Guaranteed pull, m8.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That's because all you do is study and lift. Go out to a club and deadlift the bouncer. Guaranteed pull, m8.

guaranteed pull, now that's a good pun.
Original post by ct2k7

for the love of hairy... nooooooooo :redface:. My past 6 hookups seemed to love the hair :redface: (and something to tug on my back)

Are you serious

I thought looks matter?

Anyway, do you hit asians or white girls/others?

Give a brother some tips!

thanks mate
Reply 15
Original post by rickfloss
Are you serious

I thought looks matter?

Anyway, do you hit asians or white girls/others?

Give a brother some tips!

thanks mate

There aren't many asian girls where I live, so only white girls.

Just be yourself, be happy and be flirty-funny.
Original post by ct2k7
There aren't many asian girls where I live, so only white girls.

Just be yourself, be happy and be flirty-funny.

srs? how do you meet these girls? clubs?

are any of them ever taller than you?
Reply 17
Original post by AreebWithaHat
srs? how do you meet these girls? clubs?

I don't go clubbing that much, but I know a few from work, and their social gatherings etc.
your beard seems to have made good progress too :smile:
Original post by ct2k7
I don't know... how do I develop the traps?

Deadlifts and rows hit them to a certain extent. Some people rave about deadlifts for trap development, but I've never really noticed any benefit trap wise. Add in some form of shrugs if you don't already do them. If you do shrug already, something obviously isn't quite right and needs changing to hit your traps harder/better.

Does your gym have a shrug machine? I swear by it.

Also, shrug with straps.

Quick Reply

Latest