The Student Room Group

what modules would you recommend i choose for as level further maths?

i'm currently doing c1, c2 and s1 for as level maths, and i'm trying to decide what fm modules (including fp1) would best complement them
edexcel further maths btw, if that helps
and for a2, i'm gonna take c3, c4 and m1 - what would go best with those? m2, fp2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
fp1, fp2, s2, s3, d1, d2
Are you doing only AS further maths or are you going to do both AS and A2 further maths?
Reply 3
Original post by lubus
fp1, fp2, s2, s3, d1, d2

no mechanics?
Reply 4
Original post by charlesn202
Are you doing only AS further maths or are you going to do both AS and A2 further maths?

both - a2 fm in year 13
Reply 5
I think you should do FP1 S2 and D1 this year. FP1 is mandatory (I think? it's still quite easy), D1 is easy, and S2 will go well with S1 if you're finding it alright.
Reply 6
What do you want to do after A levels? It all depends where your interests lie.

FP2 and 3 are useful for the Economics side and Science side so they're good. The rest depends on what you want to do
Reply 7
Original post by oylatle
no mechanics?

If you want to do mechanics, do it instead of s3 or d2. Tbh whatever you find easier. Have a look at the syllabuses, and decide for yourself. D1,2 are really easy though, you just need to learn a couple of methods
Original post by oylatle
both - a2 fm in year 13

Ah, I see- I would advise pretty much what other people have already said...
Reply 9
C1 C2 C3 C4
FP1 FP2 FP3
M1 M2
S1 S2
D1 D2

Unless you have a particular degree that will benefit from more M

The greens in Y12
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi guys - I'm planning on self studying AS level FM - M2, M3 and FP1.

I'm doing this alongside Physics a level... will these modules compliment each other and will M3 be too difficult to self-teach?
Original post by physicso
Hi guys - I'm planning on self studying AS level FM - M2, M3 and FP1.

I'm doing this alongside Physics a level... will these modules compliment each other and will M3 be too difficult to self-teach?

It will be a struggle in Y12 as it requires C3 knowledge
Reply 12
Original post by TenOfThem
C1 C2 C3 C4
FP1 FP2 FP3
M1 M2
S1 S2
D1 D2

Unless you have a particular degree that will benefit from more M

But that's 13 units, is the extra incase you bomb one of them? Might be good for me to do that I guess
Original post by Flauta
But that's 13 units, is the extra incase you bomb one of them? Might be good for me to do that I guess

We always do 13 just in case - you can learn 1 or 2 between Y12 exams and the summer
Stats only gets interesting halfway through S2 and into S3

Honestly, its bit of a useless question as you have to see how M1 & S1 go before taking them further. Who knows you may love mechanics so want to take it far? (You will, mechanics is lush)

Also, tell us where you hope to take maths degree/career wise?

I would also highly recommend doing both FP2 & FP3. Its much easier to just do FP2 & one other module BUT it gets unis wet if your like "**** whats easy, bring it" also it will make the transition into uni easier.

D1 D2

Decision maths is so DULL, painfully simple as well, dont bother unless you are planning for a future in being a robot (or if you want to do comp sci)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I prefer c1-4, m1-3, s1-2, fp1-3
Reply 16
It will be a struggle in Y12 as it requires C3 knowledge

I've already done my A levels in Maths, chem and econ
Reply 17
We always do 13 just in case - you can learn 1 or 2 between Y12 exams and the summer

Ah that's quite a good idea, I wish my maths teacher had suggested that to me, thanks for saying. Picking up FP4 or D2 might be good, I imagine I'll have the time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by physicso
I've already done my A levels in Maths, chem and econ

Then no problem - I personally think that FP3 is easier to self teach than M3
Reply 19
Then no problem - I personally think that FP3 is easier to self teach than M3

Fancy seeing you again :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest