The Student Room Group

Becoming a barrister

My aspiration is to become a barrister, but I am confused as to what I need to do to actually get there. I know that I must take the BPTC, get called to the bar and then go and attempt to gain pupillage, and then a tenancy but when should I do these things?

I am aware that you do the BPTC after your degree(s), however I read somewhere that one must "send in their admission to their selected Bar by the end of their LLB second year" - what does this mean? Does that mean that you must join an Inn of Court before the end of your second year?
Reply 1
3 Year LLB --> BPTC year --> pupillage --> tenancy

- Apply for Inns of Court scholarships at the beginning of your third year
- Apply for assessed mini-pupillages in your third year
- Apply for pupillage through the pupillage gateway when it opens in Feb/March of your third year --> Interviews
- Get pupillage before you graduate/in the summer after you graduate

That's the general layout. If you don't manage to get pupillage in your third year, apply again in your BPTC year. A lot of hopeful pupils also do LLMs after their LLBs before they start the BPTC. You can also apply during your LLM year.
Reply 2
Original post by arrowhead
3 Year LLB --> BPTC year --> pupillage --> tenancy

- Apply for Inns of Court scholarships at the beginning of your third year
- Apply for assessed mini-pupillages in your third year
- Apply for pupillage through the pupillage gateway when it opens in Feb/March of your third year --> Interviews
- Get pupillage before you graduate/in the summer after you graduate

That's the general layout. If you don't manage to get pupillage in your third year, apply again in your BPTC year. A lot of hopeful pupils also do LLMs after their LLBs before they start the BPTC. You can also apply during your LLM year.

Thank you, very informative indeed.

I would ideally like to do an LLM, so would I begin to apply for scholarships, assessed mini's and pupillage at the start of my LLM? Can I also do non-assessed mini's and get work experience in chambers before my third year?

Don't you do pupillage after you have finished your BPTC and have been called to the Bar? I would have thought you have to apply for pupillage during your BPTC so that you have pupillage lined up for when you've finished the BPTC. If you apply and get pupillage before you graduate, would you then complete the pupillage after the BPTC?

Also, I am going to join Middle Temple pretty soon as I would like to get involved in some activities - how can I go about doing that? I am only a first year law student but I would like to get started as soon as possible.

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just mapping out everything that needs to be done, when and in what order so that I don't get anything wrong!
Reply 3
Original post by LukeyJB
I would ideally like to do an LLM, so would I begin to apply for scholarships, assessed mini's and pupillage at the start of my LLM?

You can apply in your 3rd Year LLB for all of the above, particularly Inss of Court scholarships should be applied for in your third year, unless you think you'd rather wait and apply after you have completed your degree - believing it can improve your chances for a higher scholarship. As for pupillage and assessed minis, you can and should apply in your third year and LLM year.

Original post by LukeyJB
Can I also do non-assessed mini's and get work experience in chambers before my third year?

Yes, you most definitely can.

Original post by LukeyJB
Don't you do pupillage after you have finished your BPTC and have been called to the Bar? I would have thought you have to apply for pupillage during your BPTC so that you have pupillage lined up for when you've finished the BPTC. If you apply and get pupillage before you graduate, would you then complete the pupillage after the BPTC?

Most Chambers recruit one year in advance. I repeat the format from earlier:

3 year LLB --> BPTC --> Pupillage --> Tenancy

Most people apply for pupillage in their third years, during their LLMs (if they do one), during their BPTCs and even after. Getting pupillage is not easy after all. It often takes multiple attempts before one is successful.

Why don't you read The Bar Council's website which gives out all this information in a lot of detail: http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/becoming-a-barrister/how-to-become-a-barrister/
Reply 4
You can apply in your 3rd Year LLB for all of the above, particularly Inss of Court scholarships should be applied for in your third year, unless you think you'd rather wait and apply after you have completed your degree - believing it can improve your chances for a higher scholarship. As for pupillage and assessed minis, you can and should apply in your third year and LLM year.

Yes, you most definitely can.

Most Chambers recruit one year in advance. I repeat the format from earlier:

3 year LLB --> BPTC --> Pupillage --> Tenancy

Most people apply for pupillage in their third years, during their LLMs (if they do one), during their BPTCs and even after. Getting pupillage is not easy after all. It often takes multiple attempts before one is successful.

Why don't you read The Bar Council's website which gives out all this information in a lot of detail: http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/becoming-a-barrister/how-to-become-a-barrister/

Thanks again for the information, am I able to join an Inn of Court now and begin dining and taking part in social events?
Reply 5
Original post by LukeyJB
Thanks again for the information, am I able to join an Inn of Court now and begin dining and taking part in social events?

Check the Inns' websites, this information is easily available.

http://www.middletemple.org.uk/joining-the-inn/students/

You cannot join Middle Temple until at least the second-year of your Law degree.
Reply 6
Check the Inns' websites, this information is easily available.

http://www.middletemple.org.uk/joining-the-inn/students/

You cannot join Middle Temple until at least the second-year of your Law degree.

I have just seen this now, thank you. Admittedly, that's probably something I should have looked for myself rather than being lazy :biggrin:.

If you don't mind me asking, are you a pupil/barrister?
Reply 7
Original post by LukeyJB
I have just seen this now, thank you. Admittedly, that's probably something I should have looked for myself rather than being lazy :biggrin:.

If you don't mind me asking, are you a pupil/barrister?

No, I'm not. I strongly considered it for a while, did a bunch of mini-pupillages and even had a few pupillage interviews in my third-year. I did realise however that I would be miserable at the bar and that it wasn't for me. Also, being an international student, the two pupillage offers I got did not include the substantial pupillage award and prospects of tenancy thereafter were slim to none. It just wasn't feasible. So I chose the soliciting route in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending