The Student Room Group

Insignificant Countries Representation on the MUN

-Here is a list of all the MUN representation seats-
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16R4YJQw9oUYHz6WNY-HL_tEDhEaSJmGaZfNIATv7e2Y/edit?pli=1
[It's a good idea to bookmark this page to keep up with reps]

Have a quick scroll through and you will notice that there are a lot vacant states/countries, so what I am asking is should we take the option to rep these countries away as there are simply too many to be represented at the moment.

I am simply suggesting that we take a few of the less significant countries/states/principalities off the MUN and only have them as a specific request by members who wish to represent them, such as...

Cape Verde (group of islands off West Africa)

Andorra (small principality boarding Spain and France)

Soloman Islands (east Papa New Guinea)

Marshall Islands (in the middle of the Pacific Ocean)

And other such states which are very rarely represented at the MUN.

What do you think/opinions?

Please VOTE so I can get an idea on what the MUN's view is on this!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry I posted this twice,

Here is the one with the Poll

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2516619
No. That is incredibly shallow to call these nations 'insignificant'. The point of the MUN isn't to be the most powerful nation, it is to represent existing states within an international community. Just because we don't have representatives for those seats now, doesn't mean we won't in future. We shouldn't restrict which nations are available; this argument could apply more to the UNO positions which serve zero purpose, but otherwise we should not alter the existing nations. What is the difference between these positions existing, and members having to make requests for them? For the purpose of making the MUN appear to be active, when it isn't. We need to preserve the existing nations as we are a reflection of real life states, and members usually choose to represent nations they have some kind of interest in, for some it may be these countries you consider 'insignificant' that others might consider significant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Cheese_Monster
No. That is incredibly shallow to call these nations 'insignificant'. The point of the MUN isn't to be the most powerful nation, it is to represent existing states within an international community. Just because we don't have representatives for those seats now, doesn't mean we won't in future. We shouldn't restrict which nations are available; this argument could apply more to the UNO positions which serve zero purpose, but otherwise we should not alter the existing nations. What is the difference between these positions existing, and members having to make requests for them? For the purpose of making the MUN appear to be active, when it isn't. We need to preserve the existing nations as we are a reflection of real life states, and members usually choose to represent nations they have some kind of interest in, for some it may be these countries you consider 'insignificant' that others might consider significant.

It was just an idea as the rep seat list looks extremely bare at the moment-if we could increase activity to fill out the vast majority of the seat that would be really good! I think I chose the wrong word to describe this perhaps 'insignificant' is not the word to use. Do you have any suggestions to increase activity in the MUN? My point was because there are not enough members to fill out all the seats perhaps it could be so, that there was only a 'select' amount of countries (enough to meet the demand and extras)-it's just the amount of vacant seats is ridiculous. Maybe the loss of the UNO and UN positions would be a good idea as there is simply not enough demand for extra places?
Original post by Henry_Tudor
It was just an idea as the rep seat list looks extremely bare at the moment-if we could increase activity to fill out the vast majority of the seat that would be really good! I think I chose the wrong word to describe this perhaps 'insignificant' is not the word to use. Do you have any suggestions to increase activity in the MUN? My point was because there are not enough members to fill out all the seats perhaps it could be so, that there was only a 'select' amount of countries (enough to meet the demand and extras)-it's just the amount of vacant seats is ridiculous. Maybe the loss of the UNO and UN positions would be a good idea as there is simply not enough demand for extra places?

But why must we fill out the "rep seat list", what difference is there from having a barely filled list to having a list without three quaters of the nation-states that is full? Absolutely nothing. We need to look at ways of improving activity, not ways of making the MUN seem more active than it actually is.

It could potentially work to remove UNO positions, but I would prefer them to be restructured and made more desirable than to abolish them altogether.
Reply 5
But why must we fill out the "rep seat list", what difference is there from having a barely filled list to having a list without three quaters of the nation-states that is full? Absolutely nothing. We need to look at ways of improving activity, not ways of making the MUN seem more active than it actually is.

It could potentially work to remove UNO positions, but I would prefer them to be restructured and made more desirable than to abolish them altogether.

So to tackle this problem is do increase activity, I think the best way to do this is get an MUN advert up on the main page-Can this be done?
So to tackle this problem is do increase activity, I think the best way to do this is get an MUN advert up on the main page-Can this be done?

That's a much more productive idea. However, its mainly down to how much leverage the Secretary General has over the supermoderators and the admins that deal with TSR advertisements, three previous SGs have failed to do it despite promising to do so in their manifesto, so here's to hoping this one can.
Reply 7
That's a much more productive idea. However, its mainly down to how much leverage the Secretary General has over the supermoderators and the admins that deal with TSR advertisements, three previous SGs have failed to do it despite promising to do so in their manifesto, so here's to hoping this one can.

COD-Ghosts get a poster?!! WHY can't the MUN!???
COD-Ghosts get a poster?!! WHY can't the MUN!???

Basically, because people care more about COD than they do about the MUN. COD will get more discussion going and therefore, more users for TSR, we really can't compete but you're right we should have something on the banner.
Reply 9
Original post by Superunknown17
Basically, because people care more about COD than they do about the MUN. COD will get more discussion going and therefore, more users for TSR, we really can't compete but you're right we should have something on the banner.

I hope rory can get us a banner
Reply 10
I'm glad we're having this discussion, I wasn't sure what people's views were of it so I advised Henry to start up a discussion thread on it.

I'll try....
Reply 11
I think it should stay as it is.
Reply 12

Original post by RoryS
I'm glad we're having this discussion, I wasn't sure what people's views were of it so I advised Henry to start up a discussion thread on it.

I'll try....

At the moment they have 2 gaming ones (COD Ghost and the Game of the year polls) 2/ 12 of the banners on gaming!

I hope that we could get one for the MUN because one of the things the MUN lacks is a mass PM for a General Election situation like the MHofC has!

If we cannot get just a MUN one perhaps we could rally with Jarred to get a joint one with the MHofC?
Reply 13
Original post by Will95206
At the moment they have 2 gaming ones (COD Ghost and the Game of the year polls) 2/ 12 of the banners on gaming!

I hope that we could get one for the MUN because one of the things the MUN lacks is a mass PM for a General Election situation like the MHofC has!

If we cannot get just a MUN one perhaps we could rally with Jarred to get a joint one with the MHofC?

Great idea Will for a join MHoC MUN banner!
Reply 14

That's a good idea, I'll discuss it with Jarred.
Reply 15
Original post by RoryS
That's a good idea, I'll discuss it with Jarred.

This could best the break through we need in the MUN! A surge of new members will all need help and the buddy system should be able to solve that!
Reply 16
This could best the break through we need in the MUN! A surge of new members will all need help and the buddy system should be able to solve that!

Yeah I agree, I've start the discussion with Jarred.

The mentoring scheme needs to be in place, organised and ready to cope if there's a mass influx of members following this ad on the front page (I doubt it) but there will be considerably more 'newbies' so to speak. We need to be ready! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by RoryS
Yeah I agree, I've start the discussion with Jarred.

The mentoring scheme needs to be in place, organised and ready to cope if there's a mass influx of members following this ad on the front page (I doubt it) but there will be considerably more 'newbies' so to speak. We need to be ready! :smile:

Nice I really hope we can get the banner up for both of them. It will be a shame if we cannot as otherwise communities like this will suffer if people are unaware of them! Without an in flux of members communities could die out...

Unfortunately the MUN does not have the Mass PM like the MHofC does to help attract new members so this will be a real boost! Perhaps there could be more of an influence on the MUN if we do get it because the MHofC has the General Election to get their awareness!

If we can get both SC, DSG, Speaker and the D Speaker to join the proposals perhaps 4 CA will have more weight than just 2 CA's?

Or would a petition of MUN and MHofC member's be a good idea as well to gain influence?
I think increasing the levels of activity would prove to be more effective than the banner (I'm not saying don't do the banner, it's still very beneficial) but I just wouldn't pin all your hopes on attracting more members, you may get a few but they won't be swarming the forum in their droves.

Having said that, if people come here and see a forum alive with activity which obviously we're all trying to make happen then the new members may be more inclined to stay rather than stay for a few days/weeks and then drift off.
Reply 19
Original post by Superunknown17
I think increasing the levels of activity would prove to be more effective than the banner (I'm not saying don't do the banner, it's still very beneficial) but I just wouldn't pin all your hopes on attracting more members, you may get a few but they won't be swarming the forum in their droves.

Having said that, if people come here and see a forum alive with activity which obviously we're all trying to make happen then the new members may be more inclined to stay rather than stay for a few days/weeks and then drift off.

Sure thing. The banner would be one of many ways of attracting new members.

I myself was one of those who join...did not understand the MUN......drifted away.....join in again...understood the MUN......now very active since about a week a go!

With a combination of different way which will be lead through the SC and new DSC we can make the MUN active place and enjoyable place! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending