The Student Room Group

AS french - i can't do it anymore.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bettsbubbles
Well, maybe it does. A C would most definitely ruin my academic record, no question.

I'm not saying it wouldn't ruin yours, but getting a C is a big achievement for some people so I just think you should take that into consideration before writing it off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Did you take it for GCSE?

Grade B, was hoping to get an A.

Original post by hannah_kate
Yeah and I also found out of all my subjects last year it was my most rewarding subject because I progressed so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. :smile:
I'll do my best.
Original post by Infinity_4652
This motivates me a lot. :biggrin:

I've decided i'm not going to drop it because all the unis i will apply for want a 4th AS.
So now i just need the motivation to work my socks off and hopefully get an A.

Did you feel that the easier the subject became for you, the more you enjoyed doing it??

i feel your pain. I'm doing AS level french and it makes me feel a bit sad. At first i wasnt very social but in the end, i'm getting along with most of my classmates. the grammar is so long and the speaking is intimidating. but i think you should definitely stick to it
Original post by llamaspoon
The exact same thing happened to me last year. I understand how you feel, however, I persisted and kept working and working at it. I came out with an A at AS, and I've already got offers to study French at university. Keep at it! It does get better! It will also look so much better for university applications having a fourth AS. Once you start achieving good grades in French, you'll love it. I promise! It's so rewarding! If you need any tips or advice, I'm here to help :smile:

I think one of the main reasons i want to drop the subject is because i don't really talk to anyone in the lessons.
I mean like i just stay quiet as much as possible eventhough i sit on the same table with 4 others.

But in my other lessons, i have all my friends and i feel much more comfortable.
I am disappointed that you did not try and explain your predicament in French. Or as I might put it if I was you, je n'aime pas plus de langue francaise.
I do French and I'm not the most vocal person in class but I do talk to other people. Why don't you try and make an effort to communicate more in class? It really isn't that hard, and you are already aware of the fact that French is quite a vocal subject. At first, the subject is overwhelming, and GCSEs don't really prepare you for the massive change that occurs if you take the language further. Once you get in the hang of things, it will be easier, but if you really feel that you can't go on, talk to your school about dropping it. Personally, I think you should stick with it as you'd probably regret it if you didn't!
Original post by overthelove
I do French and I'm not the most vocal person in class but I do talk to other people. Why don't you try and make an effort to communicate more in class? It really isn't that hard, and you are already aware of the fact that French is quite a vocal subject. At first, the subject is overwhelming, and GCSEs don't really prepare you for the massive change that occurs if you take the language further. Once you get in the hang of things, it will be easier, but if you really feel that you can't go on, talk to your school about dropping it. Personally, I think you should stick with it as you'd probably regret it if you didn't!

What's your examboard??
What's your examboard??

WJEC :frown:
WJEC :frown:

Oh, is yours really that bad??

Mine is edexcel. It's no so bad, but some topics like love and marriage are so just stupid.
Oh, is yours really that bad??

Mine is edexcel. It's no so bad, but some topics like love and marriage are so just stupid.

It's not too bad in terms of the topics, like Tourism, Television and Media etc, but it's the grammar. It's so tedious!
It's not too bad in terms of the topics, like Tourism, Television and Media etc, but it's the grammar. It's so tedious!

I think it's vice versa. :tongue:
Grammar is ok, but i really don't like the topics.

How would you revise for the topics??
I would suggest getting some books in French (start with Mr Men maybe and you can progress to things like Harry Potter or whatever you're interested in) and some films (Avoir et Etre is great, or Amelie, I loved Quatre Cents Coups) and maybe that will help? Doing something like that, something that interests you and is immersion rather than learning grammar rules might get your interest back.

We used to 'rap' our verbs as well, put things to music (even now I still rap in my head if I can't remember how it goes), you have to find a way of learning that interests you. I used to speak French at home (which drove my family insane, but I got a good grade!).

You can do it :smile:
I think it's vice versa. :tongue:
Grammar is ok, but i really don't like the topics.

How would you revise for the topics??

I make brightly coloured cue cards with key words/phrases... I haven't really found a fun way to revise topics just yet :frown: How about you? :smile:
I make brightly coloured cue cards with key words/phrases... I haven't really found a fun way to revise topics just yet :frown: How about you? :smile:

I don't even know lol, i haven't found a way to revise french. :frown:
Try doing extra work on things you don't understand
I think one of the main reasons i want to drop the subject is because i don't really talk to anyone in the lessons.
I mean like i just stay quiet as much as possible eventhough i sit on the same table with 4 others.
But in my other lessons, i have all my friends and i feel much more comfortable.

You obviously have a common interest - French. Just start talking to people in French/about what you're doing in the lesson. It's a start and surely it will help you feel more comfortable.
Original post by llamaspoon
You obviously have a common interest - French. Just start talking to people in French/about what you're doing in the lesson. It's a start and surely it will help you feel more comfortable.

I'll try. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending