The Student Room Group

crazy A2 predictions/No extenuating circumstances/should I retake the year?

Hello Everyone, For AS I got

Maths: B
Physics:C
Biology:C
Chem:B

I know I didnt work as hard as I could have, and I didnt think I needed a revision timetable in the summer (I was doing bits and pieces of each subject randomly), and I flumped a large proportion of exams really badly!:angry:

I've been predicted: Maths:A, Physics:A Chemistry:A*/A
I dont have extenuating circumstances, so have no explanation to unis etc (at was all my fault)

I think I may retake the year (if its not too late :eek:), to get better AS results and do further maths instead of biology as i now know im doing engineering. (EITHER CIVIL OR MECHANICAL-NOT SURE YET, ITS NOVEMBER THAT'S A WORRY :mad::s-smilie::confused:)-im really confused

Would it be worth retaking the year, so I have better AS results/I have more time to think about what type of engineering although I wouldn't be able to apply for oxbridge, and imperial for civil engineering

Please reply, I have been re-reading this post to make sure its a concise as possible, as well as showing my situation

THANK YOU!!!

Scroll to see replies

ask yourself whether you're capable of scoring 90% ums in your AS resits whilst getting 78%+ in your A2 papers this summer

edit- you'd have to take a gap year and reapply after getting A*AA this summer if you want to go to oxbridge/imperial
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Table dust
ask yourself whether you're capable of scoring 90% ums in your AS resits whilst getting 78%+ in your A2 papers this summer

if you applied to oxbridge or imperial for this academic cycle you would be rejected anyway due to your AS grades - you'd have to score A*AA this summer then reapply next year

hi, THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!!,

due to my GCSE grades (5A's 6B's), I think I would get rejected from oxbridge anyway. If I retake the year It will relieve me of some pressure, and If I take a gap year i might aswell retake year 12?, i hope you understand where im coming from?.

The only think I would be loosing is the option to study civl engineering at imperial, but im not sure im fully content on doing civil yet anyway
Original post by nemesis inferno
. If I retake the year It will relieve me of some pressure, and If I take a gap year i might aswell retake year 12?, i hope you understand where im coming from?.

you're in a tricky spot as Bs in math and chem suggest you could get As if you resat. however whether or not you'd cope getting As in all of your AS and A2 papers is another matter.

i got BCDU in my AS exams and subsequently retook the year to get AAB, i'm now predicted AAA. so i took the safer and less stressful route
Original post by Table dust
you're in a tricky spot as Bs in math and chem suggest you could get As if you resat. however whether or not you'd cope getting As in all of your AS and A2 papers is another matter.

i got BCDU in my AS exams and subsequently retook the year to get AAB, i'm now predicted AAA. so i took the safer and less stressful route

Hi again, yh Im thinking about doing what you did as retaking isnt really going to make a difference in where I can apply to apart from civil at imperial, and (oxbridge). and if i do better im going to take a gap year anyway (most likely)
(edited 10 years ago)
BUMP!
You're three months into school term and you're contemplating whether to retake the year. Are you a private candidate or....

You'd better decide fast, as if there were January exams you would be sitting them in 7-9 weeks.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck.
Original post by REASON_Lighters
You're three months into school term and you're contemplating whether to retake the year. Are you a private candidate or....

You'd better decide fast, as if there were January exams you would be sitting them in 7-9 weeks.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck.

Hello, I understand I have made a mistake...

im not a private candidate, but In at a 6th form, just dont know if ill be allowed to retake year 12
Reply 8
Can you not resit Maths and/or Physics AS this year as well as do your A2's? It's a lot of work, I know, but if you're capable of doing it, it's a shout.
Hello, I understand I have made a mistake...

im not a private candidate, but In at a 6th form, just dont know if ill be allowed to retake year 12

Oh right I understand
Original post by suleyman95
Can you not resit Maths and/or Physics AS this year as well as do your A2's? It's a lot of work, I know, but if you're capable of doing it, it's a shout.

I understand, and have considered it but because of my gcse's its gonna be really hard to get into oxbridge and apart from civil at imperial i can apply pretty much anywhere, if i do them over 3 years.

also I can do further maths AS and A2, and If I did really well this year, I would take a year out anyway...

I'd also prefer doing Further Maths,Maths, Physics combo of A2's rather than Maths, Physics and Chemistry
FM, Maths and Physics sounds good. I'd do that. I'd resit the year though because to do AS and A2 in one year just sounds so difficult.
Oh right I understand

should I just rush on monday and try to sort it out?
Original post by suleyman95
FM, Maths and Physics sounds good. I'd do that. I'd resit the year though because to do AS and A2 in one year just sounds so difficult.

yh i know, I didnt really know what I wanted to do at first so i picked a range of sciency subjects, but now I regret making certain decisions.

do you support me on these points?-if i dont retake

1) work load will become alot more!!!
2)no chance of further maths so maybe difficult start to uni
3)poor current AS grades with no extenuating circumstances makes it really hard for me to get an offer from a top uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Agreed on all three. Definitely retake if you don't mind waiting an extra year. If you want to go to uni this year desperately, resit some AS modules for Maths and Physics and do Chem. But apply to lower unis.
should I just rush on monday and try to sort it out?

no think carefully before making a rash decision.
no think carefully before making a rash decision.

Hi, I have spent yet another day thinking but cannot make up my mind:colondollar:
BUMP!:colondollar:
Hi, I have spent yet another day thinking but cannot make up my mind:colondollar:

I don't think I can be too much use to you as I am not in your situation.

My advice would be just to carry on and ace your A2 exams but you might not want to do that.

DONT RUSH

Do you believe you are capable of getting A's in all your exams in the summer if thats what you want to get?

Ask yourself that question?

And tell me the answer, also it depends on your motivation and time allocation to work as well.
I don't think I can be too much use to you as I am not in your situation.

My advice would be just to carry on and ace your A2 exams but you might not want to do that.

DONT RUSH

Do you believe you are capable of getting A's in all your exams in the summer if thats what you want to get?

Ask yourself that question?

And tell me the answer, also it depends on your motivation and time allocation to work as well.

If i apply to unis now, and ace my exams in the summer,... presumably i would want to apply to better unis?... wouldn't the unis think im taking the mic so second time i apply they will reject/not give me an offer whe i use them for insurance?

with my current AS grades i cant really apply to uni's i considered before/ ones i would want to go to...
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending