The Student Room Group

Best to Drop

Ok, so I am looking to study philosophy at a top tier university, and I was wondering which of my AS levels (imagining I got the same grade in all) would be most favourable for me to drop in a universities eyes?

Biology
Maths
English Language and literature
Religious Studies

Also, would picking AS level history in year 13 be a good idea?
Thanks.
Original post by DanJHunter
Ok, so I am looking to study philosophy at a top tier university, and I was wondering which of my AS levels (imagining I got the same grade in all) would be most favourable for me to drop in a universities eyes?

Biology
Maths
English Language and literature
Religious Studies

Also, would picking AS level history in year 13 be a good idea?
Thanks.

Any combination would be entirely acceptable, but all other things (including how much you enjoy them) being equal I would suggest that you dropped biology, as that's the course with the least relevance to philosophy.

A history AS is something of a nice-to-have. It's not required for entry, and it won't really increase your chances that much, but it won't look bad / irrelevant either. If you do decide that you want to do it, then make sure that the workload doesn't drag down your other grades, as that would really harm you.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Any combination would be entirely acceptable, but all other things (including how much you enjoy them) being equal I would suggest that you dropped biology, as that's the course with the least relevance to philosophy.

A history AS is something of a nice-to-have. It's not required for entry, and it won't really increase your chances that much, but it won't look bad / irrelevant either. If you do decide that you want to do it, then make sure that the workload doesn't drag down your other grades, as that would really harm you.

Thank you for this :smile: would the fact that I have language and literature instead of just literature heavily affect my application?
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets

Thank you for this advice :smile: do you think that the fact I have English Lang and lit instead of just literature will bring my application down? Or more just act as a slight nuance?
Original post by DanJHunter
Thank you for this advice :smile: do you think that the fact I have English Lang and lit instead of just literature will bring my application down? Or more just act as a slight nuance?

I don't think it will make a noticeable difference.

I'd suggest that you make a start on reading some classic philosophy (it's fine if you want to read it in a textbook, with explanations, rather than just the raw original) now - that way, you can talk about it in your PS. That will really strengthen your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending