The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Looks only get you so far. You can have good looks but if you turn out to be a not so nice person, that relationship is going to end fast
Reply 61
Original post by bingbashbosh
Looks only get you so far. You can have good looks but if you turn out to be a not so nice person, that relationship is going to end fast

People with unpleasant personalities tend to get together with people like themselves though. This assumption that the average person is pleasant is deeply flawed in my opinion. Genuinely nice people are in the minority, however they look.
Looks create personality. A person who's very confident is often attractive. However, if you stop looks limiting you and find confidence from somewhere, then you'll have it much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isabelle york
Yes she is being gang-banged whilst the guy is a 27 year old virgin (I know him).

That's what I hate about sex, I feel pain for my older cousin who is also a virgin, and my future male children (if any).

Us girls have it a lot easier, makeup is also pretty big in all this.

ive been saying for years that girls have it easier, everyone on tsr shoots me down for saying it
I understand the point OP is trying to get across but its badly worded and its not as clear cut as that.

But I thought it was common knowledge that hot guys attract more attention than average guys?

It's also the same for girls though, everyone seems to think that ANY girl can get sex if she wants it and only an idiot will believe that. Men just have to work a bit harder, unfortunately that's life. Just like women are the ones that have to go through pregnancy, life is not completely fair to either sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks aren't everything, I would go for an ugly prince charming over a hot prick anyday.

In my opinion, I think the more time I spend with a guy even though he may not be good looking at first sight, if I discover he has a great personality, I will start to find him physically attractive.
Reply 66
Original post by james1211
This x100. It's getting seriously boring reading these psuedo-psychology theories.

The abundance of these kind of threads is pushing me close to just leaving TSR since there's hardly any real discussion anymore.

You're not alone in this...
Reply 67
Original post by Kittiara
You're not alone in this...

I've asked for a two week ban starting today, i fear if i keep using this forum the way it's going i'll end up just trolling threads because the vast majority are really starting to irritate me.

I will be back December 1st, i've posted in our party chat thread also to let people know.
Original post by james1211
I've asked for a two week ban starting today, i fear if i keep using this forum the way it's going i'll end up just trolling threads because the vast majority are really starting to irritate me.

I will be back December 1st, i've posted in our party chat thread also to let people know.

Male incelism is a big problem, and looks play a tremendous part. I don't understand why you dislike the topic so much, if anything it is a good thing that I am bringing it up.
LOL THIS IS THE REAL TRUTH

The main problem is that the average female is vastly more attractive to the opposite sex than the average male.

The average female isn't more attractive than the average male, it's only because women are allowed to use makeup, and do a gazillion other things to augment their faces and bodies that give the illusion they are more attractive than they are.

The thing is men on TV and magazines are all wearing makeup, so women expect men to all have this polished glossy chiseled look. This is why people think the average man is unattractive, when in fact truth me told we all know without all that makeup most girls would be really ugly. FACT.

Also in the UK we have a horrendous reputation for having some of the most unattractive women in europe. lol.

Truth is men are more realistic about looks whereas women are not. See I could easily compare most women to the likes of jessica alba and mila kunis and they would blow you all out of the water, but I don't because that's just ridiculous, childish and stupid. I don't expect my girlfriend to look like alba, but just look decent and healthy, which means a healthy weight and/or a nice cute face.

I don't take it as far as "she has to be 5"9, she has to have dark hair, she has to be toned, she has to have this and that and that and .... it's just ridic how some of you YOUNG GIRLS behave.

When you're older and no one approaches you anymore, you've lost your looks (y'all got 10, 20 years MAX) you will look back on this immaturity and cringe. All the happiest girls i know went out with guys who were available and REAL, instead of waiting for some fantasy from a twilight book..
I disagree, my attraction towards my boyfriend of 5 years is largely based on personality. Basically, I fall in love very, very easily with 'entertainer' kind of guys - the kind that can act, improvise, be clowny, yes, I love goofy and clowny (I especially love entertainers in theme parks, that's a big secret of mine).
Anyway, I think the word you are looking for here is 'CHEMISTRY', and we have it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by scrotgrot
For initial attraction as in across the room/along the bar. As soon as an interaction is made personality, or at least persona, trumps all.

Note that money and status to some extent form a part of "persona".

What is the difference between personality and persona?

Very attractive, now her male equivalent:

Very unattractive.

He ain't bad. :sexface:
I honestly don't care what you think, it doesn't mean much to me.

I don't study maths, I study computer science, I am a nerdy extrovert cycling introvert, so I have the time to 'see' things that my other friends don't.

EDIT: here you go, this is the forum I stumbled across that sparked my interest: http://puahate.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

it is a community of male incels.

Look, it's a stereotype to say that someone who has an entire post-history made up of concern for male incelism and set theory couldn't be a woman, but you have to appreciate why people might be sceptical!

Your self-description necessarily means you are an unusual personality type so I don't think it's reasonable to speak on behalf of all women (not sure anyone should do that really).

I worry that whatever the motives for posting this, we're just pandering to male self-pity and resultant misogyny rather than trying to challenge it.
I love how less than 10% of the replies in this thread are constructive.
Original post by Dr Pesto
What is the difference between personality and persona?

By persona I mean someone's superficial image they put up within the social hierarchy, that exciting time where you don't really know them yet so you haven't seen the bad or boring bits, and they seem to promise exciting new ways of life. It also subsumes "attitude".

Personality is who they really are which you come to know as part of a long-term relationship.
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Tell me about it. Too many threads by people complaining about not getting laid and guys hating women because they're single and bitter. It's starting to get booooring.

I agree, way too many threads on here about guys going on about girls like they are the devil's work :rolleyes:
I'm in a long distance relationship, most of it is carried out by texts or instant messaging. If neither of us had the right personalities, we wouldn't last 5 mins together no matter what we looked like.

Even if we weren't long distance, personalities are still important. You can't spend that much time with someone you don't like even if they're good looking.

Looks obviously play a part but personality DOES matter, don't be stupid and say otherwise.
Reply 78
Original post by lizlaz350
I'm in a long distance relationship, most of it is carried out by texts or instant messaging. If neither of us had the right personalities, we wouldn't last 5 mins together no matter what we looked like.

Even if we weren't long distance, personalities are still important. You can't spend that much time with someone you don't like even if they're good looking.

Looks obviously play a part but personality DOES matter, don't be stupid and say otherwise.

You've never seen the person you are in a 'relationship' with?
Reply 79
A person who is attractive will have to rely less on personality to find a partner and hence they will often value personality less, seeing looks as having more social value. This type of person will often make the mistake of getting themselves the best looking partner without focusing much on their personality and then they will learn over time that they've made a mistake if the personality isn't very nice. People will always value what their own particular forte is more. Personality is a better thing to focus on though as in the long term it's less likely to change than looks. In order to have sex with a person most people need to be attracted to the other person so looks do need to come into play for most people to some extent but the extent varies a lot. Peer pressure is also a major thing influencing a person's choice of partner.

Latest

Trending

Trending