The Student Room Group

"University will make offers for course only when combined with other qualifications"

Can someone explain to me what this means?

Does it mean i have to have BTEC as well as AS/A2 Qualifications or All BTEC or all AS/A2
Reply 1
Original post by sunshinechick
Can someone explain to me what this means?

Does it mean i have to have BTEC as well as AS/A2 Qualifications or All BTEC or all AS/A2

It depends where it said it.
Reply 2
Original post by Ronove
It depends where it said it.

I was browsing the UCAS website for some courses and in order to qualify for most the courses it said i need UCAS points BUT the...
University will make offers for this course only when combined with other qualifications..

It was said under ENTRY REQUIRMENTS

Reply 3
I was browsing the UCAS website for some courses and in order to qualify for most the courses it said i need UCAS points BUT the...
University will make offers for this course only when combined with other qualifications..

It was said under ENTRY REQUIRMENTS

What part of the page? They usually have A-Level requirements towards the top, BTECs a bit further down, both on the right-hand side of the page. The writing will be in green under a qualification heading if they're accepted on their own, and orange if you need to combine it with something else to qualify. They often specify what you need with it as well. Can you tell us a course and university specifically so we can see ourselves?
Reply 4
Original post by Ronove
What part of the page? They usually have A-Level requirements towards the top, BTECs a bit further down, both on the right-hand side of the page. The writing will be in green under a qualification heading if they're accepted on their own, and orange if you need to combine it with something else to qualify. They often specify what you need with it as well. Can you tell us a course and university specifically so we can see ourselves?

This is the course: http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/8595/sport-and-exercise-sciences?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014&Query=sport&ProviderQuery=The%20University%20of%20Birmingham%2C%20&AcpId=261&page=1&providerids=261&ret=results#coursedetailsmenu

I currently study BTEC's and never understood what the university mean when they say ... "

The University of Birmingham will make offers for this course only when combined with other qualifications"

Reply 5
Original post by Ronove
What part of the page? They usually have A-Level requirements towards the top, BTECs a bit further down, both on the right-hand side of the page. The writing will be in green under a qualification heading if they're accepted on their own, and orange if you need to combine it with something else to qualify. They often specify what you need with it as well. Can you tell us a course and university specifically so we can see ourselv

Search: Sport and Excercise Sciences @ The University of Birmingham
Reply 6
Search: Sport and Excercise Sciences @ The University of Birmingham

As you should be able to see, the A-Level info is in green, indicating that they are fine on their own.

It specifies that you must have 'one from Mathematics, Statistics, Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology or Physical Education'.

You cannot have 'Critical Thinking and General Studies and Applied Science and Communication & Culture and Communication Studies [...] Critical Studies, Science in Society, World Development, Citizenship Studies' as any of your three A2s used in meeting an offer.

If you do an 18-unit BTEC, 'an A level in any other subject is required, excluding General Studies, Critical Thinking and Applied Science, Critical Studies, Science in Society, World Development, Citizenship Studies,Critical Thinking, Communication & Culture and Communication Studies'.

If you do a BTEC with fewer units, it does not specify what else you will need, but it will most likely be 1-2 A-Levels. You would need to contact them to check.
I would email/call all the universities you wish to apply to, just to clarify any misunderstanding and save yourself from potential dissapointment.

"Better safe than sorry" I think that's how the quote goes.
Reply 8
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I would email/call all the universities you wish to apply to, just to clarify any misunderstanding and save yourself from potential dissapointment.

"Better safe than sorry" I think that's how the quote goes.

All the information is laid out clearly on UCAS if you figure out how to read it.
Original post by Ronove
All the information is laid out clearly on UCAS if you figure out how to read it.

But it's difficult regarding qualifications which are not mentioned. I would personally recommend contacting the universities themselves for clarification. What risk does it pose?
Reply 10
Original post by Abdul-Karim
But it's difficult regarding qualifications which are not mentioned. I would personally recommend contacting the universities themselves for clarification. What risk does it pose?

The OP is asking about A-Levels and BTECs. Every course entry I have seen deals with both of those.

It does not pose a risk, it's just completely pointless. You also risk receiving an icy response if they ascertain that you're incapable of using the internet to find out this information rather than bug every university's admissions teams and have them do it for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending