The Student Room Group

F.Maths,Maths,Physics,Chem or F.Maths,Maths,Physics,English

Hi, for engineering I know chemistry would be well looked upon, but doesnt doing English show you are more well rounded?, will this help your application?
Original post by nemesis inferno
Hi, for engineering I know chemistry would be well looked upon, but doesnt doing English show you are more well rounded?, will this help your application?

English is far too time consuming for my liking. But if you want to, go ahead. Fmaths and physics is all you need really for engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
English is far too time consuming for my liking. But if you want to, go ahead. Fmaths and physics is all you need really for engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, ill swap bio for further maths and drop chemistry at A2...

now all I have to do is convince them to let me retake the year halfway into november:s-smilie:
OK, ill swap bio for further maths and drop chemistry at A2...

now all I have to do is convince them to let me retake the year halfway into november:s-smilie:

What? What did you take?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What? What did you take?

SORRY TO BE ANNOYING, BUT YOUR SUCH A GOOD PERSON I CAN ASK FOR THEIR OPINION:

For AS I got

Maths: B
Physics:C
Biology:C
Chem:B

I know I didnt work as hard as I could have, and I didnt think I needed a revision timetable in the summer (I was doing bits and pieces of each subject randomly), and I flumped a large proportion of exams really badly!

I've been predicted: Maths:A, Physics:A Chemistry:A*/A
I dont have extenuating circumstances, so have no explanation to unis etc (at was all my fault)

I think I may retake the year (if its not too late ), to get better AS results and do further maths instead of biology as i now know im doing engineering. (EITHER CIVIL OR MECHANICAL-NOT SURE YET, ITS NOVEMBER THAT'S A WORRY )-im really confused

Would it be worth retaking the year, so I have better AS results/I have more time to think about what type of engineering although I wouldn't be able to apply for oxbridge, and imperial for civil engineering- I might not do civil and havent decided-this is the only real put off to retaking.

Please reply, I have been re-reading this post to make sure its a concise as possible, as well as showing my situation

Yh Im probably going to forget about that english idea, and just do AS F.Maths and redo AS MATHS,CHEM AND PHYSICS

THANK YOU!!!
Reply 5
Hey, I myself took F. Maths, Maths, Physics, Art and English Lit, let me tell you now that English is a lot of work. You need to be able to fit in a lot of reading time and I usually get set 1-2 essays a week for homework.
My friend however, wants to go into engineering and took F. maths, maths, physics, art and chemistry. I'd say that if you're certain you want to go into engineering, you should take chemistry, as she found that many of the courses she wants to apply for at uni require chemistry at least at AS.

I hope that was helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
SORRY TO BE ANNOYING, BUT YOUR SUCH A GOOD PERSON I CAN ASK FOR THEIR OPINION:

For AS I got

Maths: B
Physics:C
Biology:C
Chem:B

I know I didnt work as hard as I could have, and I didnt think I needed a revision timetable in the summer (I was doing bits and pieces of each subject randomly), and I flumped a large proportion of exams really badly!

I've been predicted: Maths:A, Physics:A Chemistry:A*/A
I dont have extenuating circumstances, so have no explanation to unis etc (at was all my fault)

I think I may retake the year (if its not too late ), to get better AS results and do further maths instead of biology as i now know im doing engineering. (EITHER CIVIL OR MECHANICAL-NOT SURE YET, ITS NOVEMBER THAT'S A WORRY )-im really confused

Would it be worth retaking the year, so I have better AS results/I have more time to think about what type of engineering although I wouldn't be able to apply for oxbridge, and imperial for civil engineering- I might not do civil and havent decided-this is the only real put off to retaking.

Please reply, I have been re-reading this post to make sure its a concise as possible, as well as showing my situation

Yh Im probably going to forget about that english idea, and just do AS F.Maths and redo AS MATHS,CHEM AND PHYSICS

THANK YOU!!!

Well you've left things a bit too late.

Drop Biology.

I'd finish Chemistry, Maths and Physics and resit exams and try to get as high as you can in them.

Then I'd take a year out, complete further maths in one year, bulk up your application with work experience or something and re apply.
Original post by Frankster
What kind of engineering? For Chem Eng you need chemistry certainly. For others you don't need it. Ofc if you tell us what kind of universities you're thinking of it would make it easier. Don't make the mistake of taking chemistry of you're not good at it because it is rather difficult if you don't spend enough time on it. Don't let it compromise your maths and physics grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do civil or mechanical engieering- havent decided yet its november :eek:

well for gcse's i have 5A's 6B's, and with BBCC at AS now the only way to get into oxbridge or imperial (if im really lucky) will be to take a gap year (apply next october). Even then I have to get at least A*AA for oxbridge, and A*A*A for imperial which will be soo soo hard!

I think It would be easier for me to get A*AA to A*A*A, if I retake the year, but...

If I retake the year, the options of oxbridge and civil engineering at Imperial will be impossible, as they will not consider applications made over 3 years. (Unless there is a valid reason why you re-took the year-which i dont think I have)

hope you understand my situation
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well you've left things a bit too late.

Drop Biology.

I'd finish Chemistry, Maths and Physics and resit exams and try to get as high as you can in them.

Then I'd take a year out, complete further maths in one year, bulk up your application with work experience or something and re apply.

So, your saying complete my 3A2's now, then start further maths next sepetember?...do I apply next September or the September after?... I would retake, but then the option of civil engineering at imperial would be taken away from me
So, your saying complete my 3A2's now, then start further maths next sepetember?...do I apply next September or the September after?... I would retake, but then the option of civil engineering at imperial would be taken away from me

Yeah, that's what I'd recommend but I'd like to see what others think of the idea.

You'd apply for 2015/16 entry. Same as my year actually.

If you wanted to you could pick up another A2 as well then in that gap year.
Reply 10

Nope M FM Phys Chem is perfect for Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending