The Student Room Group

Sketching graphs

Question is to sketch the graph y=(x-3)^3 +2x which seems harmless enough. However when I find the derivative to identify any stationary points the resultant quadratic has no real solutions. I assume this means it must have no stationary points? But when I sketch in my calculator it seem to have a point of inflection. Any reason why this might be?
Reply 1
Derive it again, and you`ll see it has a point of inflection at x=3. (where
Unparseable latex formula:

f ' ' (x)=0

)

what`s more, the point is a rising point of inflection since:

for x<3,f(x<3)isve x<3, f '' (x<3) is -ve => concave down,

and for x>3,f(>3)is+vex>3, f '' (>3) is +ve => concave up.

(but also, the 1st derivative with a point either side of x=3 - say x=2 and x=4, is +ve in both cases, indicating a function increasing at every point{with the exception of x=3, of course} )

All that remains is to find the (single) point at which the graph crosses the x axis.

(I`d suggest making a plot of y=(x-3)^3 and y= -2x on the same axes, and using the Newton-Raphson method to find the root.

Think of a suitable value to use as an iterant (seed)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Europa192
Question is to sketch the graph y=(x-3)^3 +2x which seems harmless enough. However when I find the derivative to identify any stationary points the resultant quadratic has no real solutions. I assume this means it must have no stationary points? But when I sketch in my calculator it seem to have a point of inflection. Any reason why this might be?

A point of inflection can have any gradient. It is simply a point where d2ydx2=0\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=0
So when asked to sketch a a cubic, or higher degree curve it is always a good idea to check the second derivative as well as the first.
Reply 3
Original post by brianeverit
A point of inflection can have any gradient. It is simply a point where d2ydx2=0\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=0
So when asked to sketch a a cubic, or higher degree curve it is always a good idea to check the second derivative as well as the first.

Oh ok, thank you. I didn't realise that was the definition of a stationary point.
Reply 4
Original post by Europa192
Oh ok, thank you. I didn't realise that was the definition of a stationary point.

It isn't!

A stationary point is one where dy/dx = 0. This could be a max, min or a point of inflexion - you need info from the second derivative to determine which one.

Also note that you can have a point of inflexion that is not a stationary point e.g. y = sin x at x = 0.

:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by davros
It isn't!

A stationary point is one where dy/dx = 0. This could be a max, min or a point of inflexion - you need info from the second derivative to determine which one.

Also note that you can have a point of inflexion that is not a stationary point e.g. y = sin x at x = 0.

:smile:

Oh yeah; sorry I meant point of inflection >.<

Quick Reply

Latest