The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths resits.

Hello, my daughter has just started sixth form. She did quite well on her GCSE's, getting 10 GCSE's and a BTEC. The BTEC was a merit pass which apparently equates to 2 B grades at GCSE. Her GCSE's were 2 B's, 6 C's and 2 D's. She is now studying two subjects at AS level and 1 at the higher level BTEC. The problem we have now though is that the school is insisting that she has to retake GCSE maths as that was one of her D grades. She is enjoying all her other subjects, and doing extremely well in them, but is getting extremely stressed about maths. This has meant many mornings of tears and shouting, and I'm worried that it will start to have a negative affect on her other subjects. She also sat a statistics GCSE, and got a C, as she finds that easier as it's more 'common sense' maths. Does this Statistics GCSE not mean that she has got a grade C in a maths subject? What I really want to know is where we stand in regards to the law...Can the school chuck her out of sixth form if she refuses to attend maths lessons? And if it is law that she attends, any advice on how to handle her stress?
Reply 1
My recommendation is get the retake maths is a very important subject and it will open a lot of doors get the c

Also the school has a right to remove a pupil if they do not follow rules

its ts not as hard as it seems if a guy like me got an a* your daughter should get a c easily

lots of practice papers

:smile: GOOD LUCK

also what is she studying
Reply 2
I agree with you that it's an important subject (I got an A myself), but she's getting so stressed that it's going to affect the subjects that she actually wants to study, and that are more relevant to her career of choice. She's found adjusting to sixth form life a bit of a struggle as she doesn't have much confidence, but now she's slightly more settled, it's just the maths that she gets stressed about.
Original post by Trishsuf
Hello, my daughter has just started sixth form. She did quite well on her GCSE's, getting 10 GCSE's and a BTEC. The BTEC was a merit pass which apparently equates to 2 B grades at GCSE. Her GCSE's were 2 B's, 6 C's and 2 D's. She is now studying two subjects at AS level and 1 at the higher level BTEC. The problem we have now though is that the school is insisting that she has to retake GCSE maths as that was one of her D grades. She is enjoying all her other subjects, and doing extremely well in them, but is getting extremely stressed about maths. This has meant many mornings of tears and shouting, and I'm worried that it will start to have a negative affect on her other subjects. She also sat a statistics GCSE, and got a C, as she finds that easier as it's more 'common sense' maths. Does this Statistics GCSE not mean that she has got a grade C in a maths subject? What I really want to know is where we stand in regards to the law...Can the school chuck her out of sixth form if she refuses to attend maths lessons? And if it is law that she attends, any advice on how to handle her stress?

Michael Gove is insisting that all students who do not achieve grade C in GCSE maths continue to study it for another two years or until they are successful whichever happens soonest. Your daughter's school could defy him this year and would just miss out on a bit of funding but next year they would not receive a penny towards the provision of your daughter's learning.

The grade C in statistics is not equivalent to grade C in maths. Your daughter is not in a bad position though as she is only one grade away from her target - think of the poor students with much lower grades who will be compelled to continue to study mathematics for another two years with little prospect of improvement!

Is she taking the Foundation or Higher course? Does she have a MathsWatch CD?
Reply 4
She took the foundation in year 10 and got a D. For some reason they then said she should take the higher paper in year 11. At the time I trusted their judgement, but now wish I'd insisted she retook the foundation paper. She got another D in year 11 and I think she should do the foundation paper this time, but they want her to sit the higher paper again.
Reply 5
The two AS levels she is doing are Film Studies and Media Studies, the BTEC is in Performing Arts. These subjects all require English Lang and Lit skills, as there are lots of essays to write, but maths isn't needed in them at all. She has the basic maths skills for everyday life, and passed the statistics because it's uses make more sense to her...It's just the algebra etc that she's stumped with.
Reply 6
The two AS levels she is doing are Film Studies and Media Studies, the BTEC is in Performing Arts. These subjects all require English Lang and Lit skills, as there are lots of essays to write, but maths isn't needed in them at all. She has the basic maths skills for everyday life, and passed the statistics because it's uses make more sense to her...It's just the algebra etc that she's stumped with.

Many jobs and universities (If she wishes to carry on to further study) ask for at least a C in GCSE maths. I'd strongly advise she retake, otherwise she may find herself in a difficult situation further down the line.
She took the foundation in year 10 and got a D. For some reason they then said she should take the higher paper in year 11. At the time I trusted their judgement, but now wish I'd insisted she retook the foundation paper. She got another D in year 11 and I think she should do the foundation paper this time, but they want her to sit the higher paper again.

It is arguably easier to achieve a C grade on the Higher paper than the Foundation. Typically you need less than 30% rather than upwards of 75%. Did she resit a week or two ago?
Reply 8
No, she hasn't done a resit yet, she's so stressed about it all she wasn't ready.
No, she hasn't done a resit yet, she's so stressed about it all she wasn't ready.

I don't really know what to advise. She needs to resit and probably won't be given a choice about this. I do think she should have a say about the Tier of entry but I'm not sure she has sufficient information to make an informed decision. It may be that her taught lessons are geared towards Higher Tier entry and, if this is the case, she will disadvantage herself by going down the Foundation route. It is perfectly possible to move from a D to a C (many thousands of students do it every year) but she is unlikely to be successful if she continues to experience stress and feels completely negative about the subject. You should certainly make the Head of Sixth Form aware that this is becoming a serious issue.
Reply 10
I'm seeing the head of the maths department tomorrow. I have suggested to my daughter that she studies for the resit at home with my help (maths was one of my best subjects at school), which she seems okay with, but the school doesn't like this idea. If it means they'll lose some funding there's no way I can change their minds. I want her to get her maths C grade, but at this rate she's going to drop out of sixth form as soon as she can (end of school year), with no further qualifications and such a low confidence level that I'm worried about her future wellbeing.

Quick Reply

Latest