The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by JosephineE
Thanks for your advice :smile: I've already been through this last year where I didn't apply to the uni i wanted and went for ones in england as I thought I would be moving there. I still don't really want to move there and i'd rather get my first choice but if needs be I'd go there because by the time september comes I would have already had a year out and it's killing me already! I'm just thinking how stressful it was last year with only one interview to prepare for. The fact the back ups might fill up is worrying tho! I just don't know what to do :frown:

I sounds like you probably want to apply to more, so I would go for it. If you're on a year out now that means at least you don't have to study alongside preparing. And you just have to be really organised about prep - when you get an interview date, plan what dates you're going to prepare certain bits and stick to it :smile:

xxx
Reply 1181
Possibly a dumb question, but I can't seem to find anything to say whether we need to get references (as in, the actual written reference) in advance of the application on the 21st, or if we need the details for the referees? Do we need to contact the referees to get our references, or does that happen through UCAS when we provide names and contact details? I have one of the referees sorted out from my old workplace, and I'm back in school again this coming week so will ask the H/T there if she would be willing to provide my second reference. I'm just not sure if I need to ask either of them to actually provide me with the reference before I submit later this week...

All of this has changed so much since I last applied to a university and I haven't got anyone else to ask!

Help?
Original post by Denu
Possibly a dumb question, but I can't seem to find anything to say whether we need to get references (as in, the actual written reference) in advance of the application on the 21st, or if we need the details for the referees? Do we need to contact the referees to get our references, or does that happen through UCAS when we provide names and contact details? I have one of the referees sorted out from my old workplace, and I'm back in school again this coming week so will ask the H/T there if she would be willing to provide my second reference. I'm just not sure if I need to ask either of them to actually provide me with the reference before I submit later this week...

All of this has changed so much since I last applied to a university and I haven't got anyone else to ask!

Help?

You put their details into the form and UCAS will email them with details of how to provide the reference online. They basically get a log in and log in the referees section to input it.
Original post by alabelle
I think you have to check with the individual provider, I believe some offer QTS but others don't.

I think it means you might spend most of your time in a school but your certificate will say that university's name on it. :smile: For instance, I am taught at Scarborough but my degree will be awarded by Hull.

so would i apply for that course on the gttr search on the 21st or wait for the actual university to put their course up?
Further to my question about getting a reference... I'm doing my last two days of work exp. on Thursday and Friday of this week. I was going to ask the teacher for a reference on my last day, but that's the day after UTT opens and I'm worried that it might take a while to get the reference off her. I don't want to delay my application! I've done 8 days so far, would it be cheeky to email her and ask now?
Hi, :smile:

Someones probably asked this question before.

But does anyone know if there is a centralised place where I can search for all Universities that offer a PGCE?

I'm trying to look at all Universities that offer a PGCE in Secondary Geography but so far i'm having to go through them one by one.

I tried the Post Graduate course search on the Dept. Education site but Geography isnt an option in the drop down menu! http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/university-based-training/pgce/search-courses

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Original post by RobNewcastleUni
Hi, :smile:

Someones probably asked this question before.

But does anyone know if there is a centralised place where I can search for all Universities that offer a PGCE?

I'm trying to look at all Universities that offer a PGCE in Secondary Geography but so far i'm having to go through them one by one.

I tried the Post Graduate course search on the Dept. Education site but Geography isnt an option in the drop down menu! http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/university-based-training/pgce/search-courses

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run
Original post by alabelle
Further to my question about getting a reference... I'm doing my last two days of work exp. on Thursday and Friday of this week. I was going to ask the teacher for a reference on my last day, but that's the day after UTT opens and I'm worried that it might take a while to get the reference off her. I don't want to delay my application! I've done 8 days so far, would it be cheeky to email her and ask now?

No it wouldn't be cheeky! Go for it. She knows you will be working both the Thursday and Friday so can add that in the reference! :smile:
(A while off yet!) ... Can anyone tell me how our final grade for our PGCE is marked? I assume it isn't a 1st, 2:1 etc because this isn't an actual degree? Also is there a graduation or does this depend on the university?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1189
Original post by womanonamission
(A while off yet!) ... Can anyone tell me how our final grade for our PGCE is marked? I assume it isn't a 1st, 2:1 etc because this isn't an actual degree? Also is there a graduation or does this depend on the university?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes there should be a graduation.

It's assessed on a pass/fail basis.

xxx
Reply 1190
Hi! So I after much thinking, I have decided to apply for Secondary MFL PGCE! I'm currently writing my personal statement and my personal tutor will be my principal reference.

I am really confused about the secondary referee... I was an English Language Assistant in France last year so I was hoping to put one of the teachers down - someone who I worked alongside with and also would be able to write a reference in English.

However, the UCAS website says 'If you're providing a reference from a school where you have been employed or have done classroom observation, it must come from the headteacher'. I wasn't employed by the school directly but allocated there by the French education department and I didn't observe, I taught... do you think it would be ok to put the teacher instead of the headteacher? The headteacher is lovely and I know she would provide and good reference BUT she does not speak English. Any advice?
(edited 10 years ago)
what has a bigger workload the pgce or school direct route?

I am under the impression on the school direct route you have the same assignments as the PGCE without the university time to complete these and are teaching more frequently and earlier on in the course than the pgce?

I know the pgce year will be intense and hard going but I don't know whether to apply for a pgce or school direct as my third route.

thanks
Sorry for being annoying peeps, but I really am stuck on what to put in the education section of my personal statement (im doing secondary english PGCE) - do I just give examples of one or two of my subjects studied at uni in relation to National Curriculum...? Because I am so over already but I know I need to include that (I will cut out other stuff if necessary). What are you all doing for that bit?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by kpwxx
Yes there should be a graduation.

It's assessed on a pass/fail basis.

xxx

Perfect, thank you! xx
Reply 1195
Heyy guys hope everyone is okay :smile: just found the bursary breakdown for 2014/15 if anyone is interested

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/postgraduate-funding
Original post by cutebat
Heyy guys hope everyone is okay :smile: just found the bursary breakdown for 2014/15 if anyone is interested

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/postgraduate-funding

Question: for the grants, is it based on current household income or the income you will have whilst studying??
Reply 1197
Original post by Esmeralda4
Question: for the grants, is it based on current household income or the income you will have whilst studying??

If you mean the support from student finance (tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and maintenance grant) then it is done on the previous tax year. So for courses starting in Sep 2014 it would be the 2012-2013 tax year.

However, if the people supporting your application know their income will change a lot they can fill in a form to make SF aware of this. E.g. if you are still classed as being supported by your parents and one of them has lost their job, or gotten a promotion, or expects to finish work during the next year.

xxx
So if you live with your parents it goes on their income and if you live with a partner it goes on your joint income and not your personal income alone?

Sorry if that sounds confusing....
Reply 1199
Original post by womanonamission
So if you live with your parents it goes on their income and if you live with a partner it goes on your joint income and not your personal income alone?

Sorry if that sounds confusing....

Living with your partner is not considered enough. You also have to be over 25.

If you are under 25 it automatically goes on your parents household income unless you can prove you are independent by showing evidence of self-supporting for 3 years, being married, having a child or being estranged.

If you are over 25 then yes it will just go on your own household income which will include your partners if you live with them.

I presume they make adjustments for the fact that during the course you won't be working. So even though they need your household income I think they only really look at your partner's/parents' incomes.

xxx
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending