The Student Room Group

A levels for law degree

Hey everyone!
I'm in year 11 and I am having a slight dilemma choosing my a levels.
i want to do a law degree at a top university, so I know I have to get my choices right!I've just recently joined The Student Room and i am seeking advice about my A Level choice after i complete myGCSE's. As you can tell from the title of this post i want to do a law degree and i am aiming for the top uni's (e.g. UCL, LSE etc.) and so i know it is important i make the right subject choices.
So far i basically know the first three A Levels i am going to study but i am having trouble picking the fourth subject choice.
The subjects i have picked so far are pretty strong (in my opinion), on the left of the following list is my first choice, the subject to the left is my back-up choice. My choices are as follows:
English Literature - English Literature & Language combined (back-up choice)
History - Geography (back-up choice)
Chemistry - Maths (back-up choice)
My fourth choice is giving me trouble and i am considering a few A Levels. They are:
Physcology
Economics
Government & Politics
Now i know that chemistry is not related to law, but the teachers at my school for A Level are really good and i enjoy it, and also i dont think choosing chemistry will deter my chances by much as they are strong academic subjects after all. What do you guys think about me choosing Chemistry?
Also do you guys think i should take as my fourth choice between Physcology, Economics and Government & Politics?
Don't know about psychology (so im neutral to to the option of taking it) but im particularly keen on doing Economics or Government & Politics. I hear that Economics is more highly regarded by unis but I feel Government & Politics is more related to law. What do you guys think I should choose between the three subjects? And are my other choices good enough? And also what GCSE grades should i try to get to be considered for these uni's?
Any other advice and feedback would be great
Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by m0hd_J
Hey everyone!
I'm in year 11 and I am having a slight dilemma choosing my a levels.
i want to do a law degree at a top university, so I know I have to get my choices right!I've just recently joined The Student Room and i am seeking advice about my A Level choice after i complete myGCSE's. As you can tell from the title of this post i want to do a law degree and i am aiming for the top uni's (e.g. UCL, LSE etc.) and so i know it is important i make the right subject choices.
So far i basically know the first three A Levels i am going to study but i am having trouble picking the fourth subject choice.
The subjects i have picked so far are pretty strong (in my opinion), on the left of the following list is my first choice, the subject to the left is my back-up choice. My choices are as follows:
English Literature - English Literature & Language combined (back-up choice)
History - Geography (back-up choice)
Chemistry - Maths (back-up choice)
My fourth choice is giving me trouble and i am considering a few A Levels. They are:
Physcology
Economics
Government & Politics
Now i know that chemistry is not related to law, but the teachers at my school for A Level are really good and i enjoy it, and also i dont think choosing chemistry will deter my chances by much as they are strong academic subjects after all. What do you guys think about me choosing Chemistry?
Also do you guys think i should take as my fourth choice between Physcology, Economics and Government & Politics?
Don't know about psychology (so im neutral to to the option of taking it) but im particularly keen on doing Economics or Government & Politics. I hear that Economics is more highly regarded by unis but I feel Government & Politics is more related to law. What do you guys think I should choose between the three subjects? And are my other choices good enough? And also what GCSE grades should i try to get to be considered for these uni's?
Any other advice and feedback would be great
Cheers

The subject requirements for law are extremely broad and I personally don't think you'll have any problem getting into a law degree with those subjects. Universities like to see a mixture of essay based subjects, which you have (English Lit & History) and they like to see some logical subjects e.g Maths and sciences. So taking Chemistry will not put you at a disadvantage.

For your fourth option, I think they're all perfectly feasible and taking either would be great. Choose the one you're most likely to enjoy, because in the end, if you don't enjoy the subject, it might be harder for you to get the grades you need.

I think some universities like to see that you've got a good grade in Eng Lang http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2014/law.aspx and most applicants would have majority A*s and As at GCSE - it really depends where you're applying, it isn't always the case :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Magnesium
The subject requirements for law are extremely broad and I personally don't think you'll have any problem getting into a law degree with those subjects. Universities like to see a mixture of essay based subjects, which you have (English Lit & History) and they like to see some logical subjects e.g Maths and sciences. So taking Chemistry will not put you at a disadvantage.

For your fourth option, I think they're all perfectly feasible and taking either would be great. Choose the one you're most likely to enjoy, because in the end, if you don't enjoy the subject, it might be harder for you to get the grades you need.

I think some universities like to see that you've got a good grade in Eng Lang http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2014/law.aspx and most applicants would have majority A*s and As at GCSE - it really depends where you're applying, it isn't always the case :smile:

Thanks for the advice.
Could you just tell me though, that if you had to choose between mainly Economics or Government & Politics, considering how the subject combination would look, and which subject top universities prefer, what subject would you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This, and remember the LNAT for some :biggrin:
Original post by m0hd_J
Thanks for the advice.
Could you just tell me though, that if you had to choose between mainly Economics or Government & Politics, considering how the subject combination would look, and which subject top universities prefer, what subject would you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics is more valued than Gov and Pol, but Gov and Pol will help you build a foundation for law, like a slight head start and is interesting as well.

For law make sure you do English literature, possibly history (most law applicants do that)
Reply 4
English Lit, History and Chemistry are perfectly sound choices for Law - no need to worry about those. For your fourth, you could always take one of your back up options, like Maths or Geography? Though either Economics or Psychology would be good too - Government & Politics isn't always looked upon too favourably by the top universities.
Reply 5
English Lit, History and Chemistry are all fine. Beyond that, it honestly wont make much difference.

For the fourth, just pick something you enjoy :smile:

Speaking from experience it's quite easy to get an A in Psychology by the way so if you want a subject that's got quite a low workload:grade potential, I'd go with that.
Reply 6
Original post by m0hd_J
Thanks for the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome :smile:

Well my own A level choices for next year are History, Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Biology/Chemistry for Law :smile:

Economics if highly regarded by a lot of universities and Govt and Politics will give you a little grounding for Law but universities like it when you enter the course with a clean slate to learn an entirely new subject. Which course do you prefer yourself?
Reply 7
You're welcome :smile:

Well my own A level choices for next year are History, Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Biology/Chemistry for Law :smile:

Economics if highly regarded by a lot of universities and Govt and Politics will give you a little grounding for Law but universities like it when you enter the course with a clean slate to learn an entirely new subject. Which course do you prefer yourself?

Wow 5 A levels! Your gonna enjoy yourself next year :wink:
I personally don't have a subject I prefer, so that's why I'm picking my fourth choice subject according to what unis rate most highly. I was thinking about taking maths and further maths, but I replaced maths with English lit and they said I shouldn't do further maths unless I want to do a maths related course in the future. Also I'm not that comfortable with maths !
Most people are saying economics Is a stronger subject, so I may just take that as my fourth choice, or maybe even geography cos that relates to science, and has written elements to it! So it would compliment history and chemistry a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by _Katie
English Lit, History and Chemistry are perfectly sound choices for Law - no need to worry about those. For your fourth, you could always take one of your back up options, like Maths or Geography? Though either Economics or Psychology would be good too - Government & Politics isn't always looked upon too favourably by the top universities.

That's really good advice, I may actually take geography cos it's also a 'facilitating subject' and it relates both to history (cos of written elements and reasoning) and chemistry (as it's a social science)
Many thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

You might like to take a look at this also. (Note: Economics is in a list above Psychology, so it would be preferred, but I don't imagine having just one subject from List 2 would be that detrimental, especially if only taken to AS). Also, just because Law is an 'Arts' subject doesn't mean you have completely arts-based A-levels - one good essay subject would be enough, but feel free to take more if you wish. Good luck!
Original post by m0hd_J
Wow 5 A levels! Your gonna enjoy yourself next year :wink:
I personally don't have a subject I prefer, so that's why I'm picking my fourth choice subject according to what unis rate most highly. I was thinking about taking maths and further maths, but I replaced maths with English lit and they said I shouldn't do further maths unless I want to do a maths related course in the future. Also I'm not that comfortable with maths !
Most people are saying economics Is a stronger subject, so I may just take that as my fourth choice, or maybe even geography cos that relates to science, and has written elements to it! So it would compliment history and chemistry a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I know right, I'm just hoping I get into the sixth forms I've applied to :tongue:

I see, that's a good way to go about it though :smile: I took Further Maths only to widen to options in case I get to sixth form and realise Law isn't for me and go for Economics at uni instead :tongue: The problem with me is I literally enjoy almost every subject I study and I'm going to miss all my sciences next year :rolleyes:

With economics, there's going to be some overlaps with maths there so you can take that into consideration too :smile: Geography would be a great choice I think because it compliments the others so well! Good luck with choosing!
Reply 11
Original post by _Katie
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

You might like to take a look at this also. (Note: Economics is in a list above Psychology, so it would be preferred, but I don't imagine having just one subject from List 2 would be that detrimental, especially if only taken to AS). Also, just because Law is an 'Arts' subject doesn't mean you have completely arts-based A-levels - one good essay subject would be enough, but feel free to take more if you wish. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the great advice! :smile:
So if I took geography instead of economics, do you think that's a stronger combination of subjects than I would have if I chose economics instead of geography?
Also, what skills would I learn for geography that would be beneficial to a law degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Haha I know right, I'm just hoping I get into the sixth forms I've applied to :tongue:

I see, that's a good way to go about it though :smile: I took Further Maths only to widen to options in case I get to sixth form and realise Law isn't for me and go for Economics at uni instead :tongue: The problem with me is I literally enjoy almost every subject I study and I'm going to miss all my sciences next year :rolleyes:

With economics, there's going to be some overlaps with maths there so you can take that into consideration too :smile: Geography would be a great choice I think because it compliments the others so well! Good luck with choosing!

Thanks.
What sixth forms have you applied for? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m0hd_J
Thanks.
What sixth forms have you applied for? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tiffin Girls, St Olaves, Wallington Girls and Wallingtom Boys. You?
Reply 14
Original post by m0hd_J
Thanks so much for the great advice! :smile:
So if I took geography instead of economics, do you think that's a stronger combination of subjects than I would have if I chose economics instead of geography?
Also, what skills would I learn for geography that would be beneficial to a law degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics and Geography are both equally good so take whichever you think you would enjoy more and/or do better in. I've never studied either of them so I'm not in much of a position to say what you might gain from them, sorry. :P
Reply 15
Tiffin Girls, St Olaves, Wallington Girls and Wallingtom Boys. You?

I'm going for Christ College Finchley (my current school) and that's all I've applied for so far!!
Where do you live? Cos I'm not familiar with any of those schools! I live I'm London so if those schools are outside London that would explain why! :smile:
Best of luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m0hd_J
I'm going for Christ College Finchley (my current school) and that's all I've applied for so far!!
Where do you live? Cos I'm not familiar with any of those schools! I live I'm London so if those schools are outside London that would explain why! :smile:
Best of luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ive never heard of that either :') why don't you apply anywhere else?
I live in London too :smile: all those schools are in london! I applied according to the league tables, which isn't the best way to find a sixth form but they all happen to be
near me :P
Thanks, you too!
Reply 17
Ahh ive never heard of that either :') why don't you apply anywhere else?
I live in London too :smile: all those schools are in london! I applied according to the league tables, which isn't the best way to find a sixth form but they all happen to be
near me :P
Thanks, you too!

I probably will, but just haven't been bothered yet!
Will probably apply for places like Woodhouse and other places close to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest