The Student Room Group

Which A Level should I drop at A2?

I am in year 12 and am studying AS levels in
english language
english literature
history
spanish

I want to do english language & linguistics at university so I want to carry on English language at A2, I think I should also carry on spanish both for the linguistics side and because unis like languages. so the logical combination would be english lang, Spanish and history (for variety as oppose to doing both englishes)
The problem is that I don't really like Spanish.
I loved it at GCSE (got an A*) but now I dislike my teacher and I feel like I'm not learning anything, and I also don't really care about the subject that much. I'm trying my best but I ADORE english lit and history so I'd prefer to take both of those at A2 but I'd have to drop one if I took Spanish.

What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
I am in year 12 and am studying AS levels in
english language
english literature
history
spanish

I want to do english language & linguistics at university so I want to carry on English language at A2, I think I should also carry on spanish both for the linguistics side and because unis like languages. so the logical combination would be english lang, Spanish and history (for variety as oppose to doing both englishes)
The problem is that I don't really like Spanish.
I loved it at GCSE (got an A*) but now I dislike my teacher and I feel like I'm not learning anything, and I also don't really care about the subject that much. I'm trying my best but I ADORE english lit and history so I'd prefer to take both of those at A2 but I'd have to drop one if I took Spanish.

What should I do?

Drop spanish. Universities LIKE languages, but its no excuse for a bad grade.
Original post by Jkizer
Drop spanish. Universities LIKE languages, but its no excuse for a bad grade.

Assuming I get good/decent grades in all of my subjects though (I'm doing as well in Spanish as I am in other subjects, I just dislike it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
Assuming I get good/decent grades in all of my subjects though (I'm doing as well in Spanish as I am in other subjects, I just dislike it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would still stick with your favoured subjects. English & History are a great combination. Also i dont THINK there are any language requirements for your course.

Go for spanish if your adamant, but im just saying i wouldnt want to spend 2 years on an A level i thoroughly dislike, when its not even a subject requirement.
Well it seems that you already have the idea of what subject you want to drop already.
But, to answer your question, I really don't think you need to be thinking about this or worrying about this until next August... Your opinion on your subjects now could completely change by then, and you said assuming you get good grades in everything, but there is no point assuming. Just wait until then.
Reply 5
All of them. Become a monk!

Quick Reply

Latest