The Student Room Group

UGHH Yr 10 SUCKS! HELLPP

Heyaa, im currently in year 10! This year is so hard with all the gcse stuff and controlled assessemnts:frown: Can anyone give me any tips to stay on top of things? Also, im doing my english controlled assessments atm, any help?:smile:
Reply 1
lol

you'll have some fun at a level then
Reply 2
Original post by IlexBlue
lol

Yeah, im dreading that part
Original post by IlexBlue
lol

Posts like this are so unnecessary. Just because somethings are harder than others doesn't mean people can't find the 'easier' things difficult. Does this mean only academics are allowed to find that kind of work difficult?
Reply 4
Original post by chickenonsteroids
posts like this are so unnecessary. Just because somethings are harder than others doesn't mean people can't find the 'easier' things difficult. Does this mean only academics are allowed to find that kind of work difficult?

Original post by ilexblue
lol

fight fight!
Posts like this are so unnecessary. Just because somethings are harder than others doesn't mean people can't find the 'easier' things difficult. Does this mean only academics are allowed to find that kind of work difficult?

I actually agree with you i only just started A level (September) but back in secondary every thing seemed so hard especially maths but once u get to A level it seems GCSE is quite easy. Its really weird but i agree it is hard at GCSE but A level is hard when you get to it aswell.

Overall A level is like approaching GCSE all over again a cycle :O
Reply 6
Getting a good weekly working routine will help a lot throughout the entirety of your education. Make yourself a timetable with when to wake up, the time you go to school and when you come home. Give yourself about an hour for each subject or piece of coursework you have, but you can be flexible when you have no work for some things. Also, give time for dinner and an hour of winding down before you go to bed. Try not to go to bed too late either because this would severely impact your ability to study.

Lastly, if you're stuck, ask your teachers! They're being paid to teach and help you, so it's best you make sure they do that :smile:
Reply 7

Oh dear, however will I sleep at night.

It's a simple truth.
Original post by mizzy-muzz
Heyaa, im currently in year 10! This year is so hard with all the gcse stuff and controlled assessemnts:frown: Can anyone give me any tips to stay on top of things? Also, im doing my english controlled assessments atm, any help?:smile:

Hello :wavey: fellow Year 10 student, in Year 10 too.

You might want to have a look at the Year 10 thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2435645

To help you, keep looking back at your notes regularly for revision so you don't fall behind on your subjects

For your controlled assessments, don't think I can really help you because I haven't done any before

But ask your teachers, friends or other classmates beforehand for help if needed.
Reply 9
Original post by ChocoholicCox
I actually agree with you i only just started A level (September) but back in secondary every thing seemed so hard especially maths but once u get to A level it seems GCSE is quite easy. Its really weird but i agree it is hard at GCSE but A level is hard when you get to it aswell.

Overall A level is like approaching GCSE all over again a cycle :O

Don't get me started with University workloads :s-smilie: But you'll find that the amount of work you are given usually has a good correlation with the amount of 'free time' you have. Use your time wisely and plan it carefully.

Work gets harder, but you get better at it :smile:
English ca's are fun! Just try as high as you can in them so the grade boundaries for the English Lang exam will be quite low for the grade you want! I got practically full marks in all of my assessments in yr 10 which made things less stressful for the exam :smile: enjoy year 10, it was pretty much every body's favourite year :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by AMYC1999
Hello :wavey: fellow Year 10 student, in Year 10 too.

You might want to have a look at the Year 10 thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2435645

To help you, keep looking back at your notes regularly for revision so you don't fall behind on your subjects

For your controlled assessments, don't think I can really help you because I haven't done any before

But ask your teachers, friends or other classmates beforehand for help if needed.

Ahhh heeyy! Finally another year 10 students haha:smile: Thanks for the tip
Reply 12
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Don't get me started with University workloads :s-smilie: But you'll find that the amount of work you are given usually has a good correlation with the amount of 'free time' you have. Use your time wisely and plan it carefully.

I think it depends on what A levels you do and what degree you go into, some are harder than others. I wanna go into medicine, dentistry or optometry........ so yeah, my time is gonna be harddddd
Reply 13

This. I actually found A levels to be easier because I only did what I was actually good at.
Reply 14
I think it depends on what A levels you do and what degree you go into, some are harder than others. I wanna go into medicine, dentistry or optometry........ so yeah, my time is gonna be harddddd

I wish you all the best! :smile:
Ahhh heeyy! Finally another year 10 students haha Thanks for the tip

Nice to meet you too. There are a lot more Year 10 student's on the Year 10 thread (link that was posted earlier) so yeah have a look at it.

You might want to have a look at the Year 11 thread too, you can get some help there if you can't on the Year 10 thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2474196

What subjects are you doing and which do you find particularly hard?
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman

God I can't imagine the workload for uni :O, Oh right, yeah thanks for the advice :smile:, im doing maths core 1 at the moment and practise seems to be the best seeing as the papers seem the same since there is only a limited range of topics they can do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Breathe. It'll be fine, trust me. I'm one of the new Year 11's, so hopefully I can give you some help! Firstly, you need to make sure you stay on top of your work. I did this sometimes, and everything fell into place. Other times, not so much. It was then that I ended up in detentions. One time my teacher shouted at me so much that I had a panic attack. For exams, I'd suggest revising 2 weeks before. And I mean really revising. Then you won't panic the night before! For controlled assessments, make sure you have your plans all neat and readable, and don't fret if you forget something and end up improvising. However, remember that you're not actually sitting your GCSE's until next year, all you need to now is memorise some crap. It'll be over before you know it!
One other thing: Don't stress out if you get a U on a mock. It's a mock, not the real thing.
Reply 18
hii im in year 11 year 10 is actually harder than year 11 in my opinion in year 11 you just rush to get everything finished so you can revise for exams so i suggest to most of your work in year 10 therefore less load in year 11

Quick Reply

Latest