The Student Room Group

Means tested step parents income

HI after some advice, I took my daughter to a uni open day yesterday and the finance talk said they will take my household income into account.

her father took it upon himself to disappear when I was pregnant and I have never had a penny from him in child support. now I do live with someone but we are not married and he does not pay for my daughter I have always paid for her myself
Are they going to take his income into account?

the system as a parent looks ridiculous, it looks to only support those on really low incomes or the super lucky whose parents can fund them and really doesn't take into account the modern family so many people live in. Or if you're caught in the middle.
shes not work shy at all but you need to find a job first!! And I'm very worried about her living costs!
thank you
They will take the incomes of yourself and any partner you live with into account. You have no choice in this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It's based on household income. So if you live with a partner, regardless of whether it's the student biological or step parent, their income is taken into account.
Reply 3
Original post by Katrina4068
HI after some advice, I took my daughter to a uni open day yesterday and the finance talk said they will take my household income into account.

her father took it upon himself to disappear when I was pregnant and I have never had a penny from him in child support. now I do live with someone but we are not married and he does not pay for my daughter I have always paid for her myself
Are they going to take his income into account?

the system as a parent looks ridiculous, it looks to only support those on really low incomes or the super lucky whose parents can fund them and really doesn't take into account the modern family so many people live in. Or if you're caught in the middle.
shes not work shy at all but you need to find a job first!! And I'm very worried about her living costs!
thank you

That's correct. As student finance only have limited resources they need to target those whose parents couldn't afford to give them any help if say they were starving. Plenty of those in the middle get caught out and rely on student overdrafts (£500+) or get a job. If it helps most people I know who wanted one have been able to get one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending