The Student Room Group

How would/do tuition fees influence your university decisions?

At what stage would you no longer consider going to university?

Would tuition fees influence your decision as to which course to study?

If you didn't get into a particular set of universities would it no longer be worth it for you? Which universities?

Did anyone choose not go to university who would otherwise have ended up at a 'top' (I'll leave you to define this) university?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Polymath

If you didn't get into a particular set of universities would it no longer be worth it for you?

Did anyone choose not go to university who would otherwise have ended up at a 'top' (I'll leave you to define this) university?

Would the repayment scheme remain the same? If it is, then an increase in tuition fees won't necessarily make much of a difference to many.
Tuition fees haven't really influenced my decision to study although if my circumstances were a bit different I would consider studying in Europe.
If I didn't get into a University to read Medicine, I'm not certain that a high fee would be worth it.
If I hadn't got into the university of my choice I'd have been more likely to take a gap year and try again with the new fees - that is, I wouldn't have felt it would be worth spending the money for what I would consider a 'not so good' university.

I imagine that's pretty similar for most people, but the threshold at which we would consider it not worth spending the money varies.
Reply 3
Original post by RibenaRockstar
If I hadn't got into the university of my choice I'd have been more likely to take a gap year and try again with the new fees - that is, I wouldn't have felt it would be worth spending the money for what I would consider a 'not so good' university.

I imagine that's pretty similar for most people, but the threshold at which we would consider it not worth spending the money varies.

Which universities would have been worth it for you at £9,000?

If you didn't get into a particular set of universities would it no longer be worth it for you?

I might well not go if I was interested in a career that didn't require a degree.

All courses (pretty much) have the same fees, for me.

I wouldn't go to a university which, if I got degree from it, wouldn't enhance my employability.

I have a very clever friend who has a great job offer, after doing work experience at the company, so isn't going to uni.
Reply 5
I'd go to uni as long as we have a similar system to what we have now in student loans.
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I'd go to uni as long as we have a similar system to what we have now in student loans.

My thoughts exactly. Only the very top earners would be affected and they'd be able to afford it anyway...
Would you still do the same degree though?
Reply 7
Original post by keromedic
My thoughts exactly. Only the very top earners would be affected and they'd be able to afford it anyway...
Would you still do the same degree though?

Probably
Which universities would have been worth it for you at £9,000?

Anywhere ranked around where Southampton (which was my insurance) is or above; I'm at Bath.
Reply 9
If the repayments stayed the same I wouldn't be afraid to still study a maths degree. It interests me, great graduate prospects, and it's not like repayments are ever going to make me bankrupt. Although, I do think that if I bomb my A-levels I wouldn't be willing to pay the same amount to go to a lower university, would look at other options.
Reply 10
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Probably

Do you think the repayments system ought to be changed? People could do a degree which hardly enhances their career prospects, and potentially never earn enough to pay back the fees. This would become more problematic if fees were to rise to £20,000.
Reply 11
Do you think the repayments system ought to be changed? People could do a degree which hardly enhances their career prospects, and potentially never earn enough to pay back the fees. This would become more problematic if fees were to rise to £20,000.

Eventually, I see us emulating the US system.

Hmm. Before I answer. Is it true that the random degree subjects that actually don't cost that much are still charged at the same price as they help subsidize the science courses?
Reply 13
Hmm. Before I answer. Is it true that the random degree subjects that actually don't cost that much are still charged at the same price as they help subsidize the science courses?

Well it's certainly true that the cost of running a course varies depending on the subject, and that the same fees are charged (for UK undergraduates at least), but I couldn't say for sure what the reason behind it is. It could just be to avoid people not choosing certain vital subjects due to them being more expensive.
Reply 14
Oxbridge
Imperial
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Bristol
KCL
Manchester
Birmingham
Leeds
Exeter
Southampton
Loughborough
Lancaster
Newcastle
York
Sheffield
Leicester
Surrey

You're probably wasting your money if you don't go to one of those institutions listed above imo. Didn't include scottish unis.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well it's certainly true that the cost of running a course varies depending on the subject, and that the same fees are charged (for UK undergraduates at least), but I couldn't say for sure what the reason behind it is. It could just be to avoid people not choosing certain vital subjects due to them being more expensive.

I see. I'd say that the repayment scheme should be restructure. It'd be nice though, as a balance, if professional bodies helped somewhat waive the cost of certain degrees as an incentive to the able.
Reply 16
I originally wasn't going to do an MEng degree because I didn't want to be a further £9,000 in debt but the university I am thinking of attending (Kingston university) does some deal where if you sign up for one of their MEng courses the final year is £5,000. That's a good deal considering standalone engineering masters degrees are around £10,000 so I have decided to sign up for that.
Original post by Nitrogen
Oxbridge
Imperial
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Bristol
KCL
Manchester
Birmingham
Leeds
Exeter
Southampton
Loughborough
Lancaster
Newcastle
York
Sheffield
Leicester
Surrey

You're probably wasting your money if you don't go to one of those institutions listed above imo. Didn't include scottish unis.

I didn't realise you were the authoritative voice on university choices.

Why did you even post?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by addylad
I didn't realise you were the authoritative voice on university choices.

Why did you even post?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you not see the part where I said 'imo'

Why did you even post?
Original post by Nitrogen
Did you not see the part where I said 'imo'

Why did you even post?

Yes I did, but your post still came across as elitist and judgemental.

So, why don't you engage in a debate on how you reached your opinion, rather than spitting a question back at me? If you can find the wherewithal to do so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending