The Student Room Group

Global Warming is a hoax?

Scroll to see replies

Saying that its man made is a hoax.
Reply 21
Original post by Arbolus
Since the end of the last ice age, the biggest and fastest fluctuations have been 0.2 degrees or so over a span of perhaps 500 years. However, in the last 150 years, the average temperature has risen nearly 1 degree. Random fluctuations aren't enough to account for that.

I don't understand, I'm sure I've already disregarded this point. Are you trying to make an implication or what? I'll use my deduction skills to assume that you're correlating the increase in global temperature with the increase in industrialization, which would suggest you believe it's a result of CO2 levels but then...

That wouldn't make sense to anyone who has done background reading cause they'd know humans only account for a small percentage of CO2 that is produced every day, that it's damn near insignificant.
Reply 22
My science teacher said it's the cows. Remove the cows and we'll be fine.
Reply 23
Original post by C_G
The reality is that scientists with far more resources and greater knowledge than all of us sincerely think that climate change is a threat. Politicians across the world view it as a threat and they are trying their hardest to tackle it. I think at this stage that refusing or vowing to not accept climate change as a viable threat is bordering on believing in a conspiracy theory.

Just as many Scientists with far more resources and greater knowledge than us believe it false, and many politicians across the world feel the same, so I don't see your point here.
Reply 24
I'm not an environmental scientist, and have no interest in going through academic papers on the topic to come to a proper informed decision. However I will say this. If the climate gets warmer we will adapt, and if it gets colder we will adapt too. Do not underestimate man's ability to overcome adversity.
Reply 25
Original post by Extremotroph
Translation: I can't think for my self, I am dependent on mainstream media in order to have an opinion on matters.

Whatever you say pal.
Reply 26
Original post by Yawn11
Just as many Scientists with far more resources and greater knowledge than us believe it false, and many politicians across the world feel the same, so I don't see your point here.

http://theconsensusproject.com/
Reply 27

I commend you for googling up a link that has failed to support your point.
Original post by David_Cook
Societies cling to the wrong ideas all the time. Capitalism has failed us, Communism was a disaster and there are so many religions in the world all claiming to be 'the one true one' it's farcical.

So what makes you so sure we haven't got it wrong again with climate change?

Human-induced climate change is far more solidly based in science and in reason than were either the Soviet systems (what you refer to when you say 'Communism') and or Capitalism, which has proven again and again to be poor at providing economic well being for all.

Anyone denying the science has got to argue on scientific grounds, not just whimsy. Anyone can say "I don't believe in it", but unless they can provide good rational arguments, it's irrelevant that they don't believe it.

Anyone denying the science should start with this diagram and say what's wrong with it. That takes us on to all the little arguments about data sources and graphs. All of the sceptical arguments about those have been systematically and thoroughly debunked.

Two millennia of mean surface temperatures according to different reconstructions from climate proxies, each smoothed on a decadal scale, with theinstrumental temperature record overlaid in black.

Original post by Swanbow
I'm not an environmental scientist, and have no interest in going through academic papers on the topic to come to a proper informed decision. However I will say this. If the climate gets warmer we will adapt, and if it gets colder we will adapt too. Do not underestimate man's ability to overcome adversity.

I'm sure that's true in the long run, but it may well be to a radically different type of society than we have now. If sea levels rise drastically, deserts expand and substantial areas are lost to agriculture, it is likely that there will be massive dislocation, collapses of civilised life as we know it and big declines in the human population. The question is whether those are desirable outcomes.
Reply 30
Unfortunately I don't think it is :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LiamMcMorrow
Saying that its man made is a hoax.

It isn't, but there's a very heavily funded denial industry out there that wants to make you think so - they are financed by the oil and coal industries, that feel threatened by talk of climate change.
Reply 32
Original post by Yawn11
Just as many Scientists...believe it false...

Source for that claim please.
Reply 33
Original post by Yawn11
I commend you for googling up a link that has failed to support your point.

**** son, your stupidity really is something.
Reply 34
Original post by Yawn11
I don't understand, I'm sure I've already disregarded this point. Are you trying to make an implication or what? I'll use my deduction skills to assume that you're correlating the increase in global temperature with the increase in industrialization, which would suggest you believe it's a result of CO2 levels but then...

That wouldn't make sense to anyone who has done background reading cause they'd know humans only account for a small percentage of CO2 that is produced every day, that it's damn near insignificant.

I've not mentioned CO2. I've just shown that recent temperature changes are not mainly due to the various cycles that have existed for billions of years. There is something happening now that is different to previous warming periods, which might be the extra CO2 or it might not.
Climate change undoubtedly exists. The recent typhoon is what mother nature will continue to spew out if the pattern continues.
Reply 36
Original post by Maccees
Source for that claim please.

Here's a documentary full of them.

Spoiler

Original post by C_G
**** son, your stupidity really is something.

The closest you've come to constructing an argument is pasting a link, and I'm the one that's stupid? Damn
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Yawn11
The closest you've come to constructing an argument is pasting a link, and I'm the one that's stupid? Damn

Original post by Yawn11

I hope this helps your lazy ass to come to terms with what I am saying.
Is "the deficit" a hoax?

Come on, have you actually seen real evidence of "the deficit" yourself, or do you just believe what the government and media want you to believe, so they can justify taxing more off you.

But feel free to get all panicked about "our children's future" lol
Reply 39
Original post by Yawn11
Here's a documentary full of them.

Spoiler

No, a proper scientific source please. Peer reviewed papers etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending