The Student Room Group

Choosing 4th A Level help??

I want to do Mathematics, History and French. I'm unsure as to which subject I should take as my fourth subject. In terms of a degree I'm also slightly undecided but I was thinking of maybe PPE or a Business related degree. Of course it's years away so my interests could change. And also, my sixth form doesn't do subjects like philosophy or politics or economics, otherwise I'd take one of them.

Any suggestions?:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Then maybe Business Studies if you're thinking of doing a business related degree?
Reply 2
Original post by PeaceTreaty
Then maybe Business Studies if you're thinking of doing a business related degree?

Is Business Studies a very creditable subject though? I'd rather go for a facilitating subject. Plus I can still go into a business related job with a PPE, a lot of graduates go into Banking and finance and even accountancy sometimes.
Original post by Frannoooooooo
I want to do Mathematics, History and French. I'm unsure as to which subject I should take as my fourth subject. In terms of a degree I'm also slightly undecided but I was thinking of maybe PPE or a Business related degree. Of course it's years away so my interests could change. And also, my sixth form doesn't do subjects like philosophy or politics or economics, otherwise I'd take one of them.

Those three are great choices, and your fourth doesn't really matter too much as long as it's fairly respectable. English Lit, Further Maths, Physics and R.S. are all good options to consider.
Reply 5

How do you feel about science? :tongue:
As for which one its up to you, theres a bit more maths in chem but its also much more interesting, and people who do chemistry are seen as advantagous in employing for things like business/marketing/production and money related shtuff because you develop those skills with studying chem. People who do chem at uni go into marketing and such apparently theyre similar in quite a few ways.
Youll have a fair bit of writing with history and french so I'd recommend looking into a science or computing maybe? Unless you dont mind writing :tongue:
But it is your fourth so dont worry that much and he subjects you have are a good range and dont put u at any disadvantage, but as youre undecided, even if u dont go into science or maths they are great subjects to gain transferable skills from. I genuinly enjoy physics and chem much more than I did at gcse so unless u really despise science id read into it a bit. Im not that biased really. :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
consider econ, because that fits in with your business related degree plan, and it will be a great aid to boost your application for PPE. Phil and Pol are both too very good alevels, but econ here fits the situation more!
Reply 7
I would say either Further Maths, Physics or Chemistry since you already have two 'Art' subjects.
Original post by Nat_LPS
How do you feel about science? :tongue:
As for which one its up to you, theres a bit more maths in chem but its also much more interesting, and people who do chemistry are seen as advantagous in employing for things like business/marketing/production and money related shtuff because you develop those skills with studying chem. People who do chem at uni go into marketing and such apparently theyre similar in quite a few ways.
Youll have a fair bit of writing with history and french so I'd recommend looking into a science or computing maybe? Unless you dont mind writing :tongue:
But it is your fourth so dont worry that much and he subjects you have are a good range and dont put u at any disadvantage, but as youre undecided, even if u dont go into science or maths they are great subjects to gain transferable skills from. I genuinly enjoy physics and chem much more than I did at gcse so unless u really despise science id read into it a bit. Im not that biased really. :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankss for your reply, I was actually juggling with the thought of taking Physics. It's probably my favourite out of the sciences. I know chemistry is highly respected but I honestly really don't like it I find it a bit mundane. Biology doesn't buzz me either so IF I were to do a science it would be Physics. Does psychology have any links to philosophy? This is another subject I was considering but I do realise it's seen as a 'soft' A level.
Original post by sophiac0
I would say either Further Maths, Physics or Chemistry since you already have two 'Art' subjects.

I was thinking Physics as well. I don't think further maths is available at my school because it's so bad that no one is ever capable of doing Further maths ahah. I might be able to sort something out though because my dads actually a maths teacher (At my school.... embarrassing :redface:) so maybe that's a possibility, although I have heard it's only really necessary if your doing a maths heavy degree? like maths or physics etc?
Original post by NidaJaffri
consider econ, because that fits in with your business related degree plan, and it will be a great aid to boost your application for PPE. Phil and Pol are both too very good alevels, but econ here fits the situation more!

School doesn't offer it ://
School doesn't offer it ://

Go for Physics then! But if you do Physics, do mechanics with maths. You can speak about how Physics relates to Philosophy
Reply 12
I was thinking Physics as well. I don't think further maths is available at my school because it's so bad that no one is ever capable of doing Further maths ahah. I might be able to sort something out though because my dads actually a maths teacher (At my school.... embarrassing :redface:) so maybe that's a possibility, although I have heard it's only really necessary if your doing a maths heavy degree? like maths or physics etc?

I know for straight economics, Cambridge and LSE 'highly prefer' further maths, since economics is such a mathematical based subject. For PPE though, I'm not sure. You could easily find out by going on university websites though.
Original post by NidaJaffri
Go for Physics then! But if you do Physics, do mechanics with maths. You can speak about how Physics relates to Philosophy

Yeh I think this is probably the best option to go for, thanks. :cool:
Yeh I think this is probably the best option to go for, thanks. :cool:

Awesome! Good luck, inbox if you have any problems with it. x
Original post by sophiac0
I know for straight economics, Cambridge and LSE 'highly prefer' further maths, since economics is such a mathematical based subject. For PPE though, I'm not sure. You could easily find out by going on university websites though.

For PPE at oxford they don't require any particular subjects but do mention that History and Mathematics would be helpful. Further Mathematics would obviously be even more beneficial but they don't mention anything about it so I'm sure it's safe not to take it.

Can't!
Reply 17
Can't!

Why?
Original post by qr95
Why?

Read my original post, my school doesn't offer it. :frown:
I would go for one, you are confident to get a high grade in. I can't see any advantage in taking Physics, unless you prefer it. Psychology wouldn't be such a good choice, as it relates less, but depending on where you want to end up, it might be not as bad. (Business studies is somehow related in some areas, as e.g. human resources.) Philosophy might be a bit risky, because it might be difficult to predict, how good you will be, but otherwise it is a very academic and respected subject. Further Math depends on your abilities and of course wether the teaching suits you, but don't look to much at what others might not achieve.

Anyway, what subjects are you able to take?

Quick Reply

Latest