The Student Room Group

Need advice on choosing A-levels

Hi, I like thousands of year 11s am at the stage of the year where I'm beginning to choose my a levels but I'm struggling to decide and I have a number of questions. The careers/choices advice at my current school is c**p and id appreciate any answers. Bit of background: I have decided I definitely want to take Maths and Physics, two subjects I enjoy a lot in year 11. But I have only managed to narrow my remaining to choices to 3 subjects, chemistry, further maths and history. I'm heavily leaning towards chemistry but I'm caught in a dilemma between the other two. Id love to take further maths but I'm worried that will narrow my university options down to engineering or maths and I'm not sure if I will be good enough to do further maths. How hard is further maths? I'm predicted A* in maths and most of my other gcses but I was told at an open evening you need to be a near-genius to get a good grade, is it wise for me to take it and does it narrow my options too much? I could take history but it seems a bit useless when there is so much overlap between maths/physics/chemistry. Id rather do further maths but wont history open up more options? I'm sorry for rambling on a bit but I'd appreciate answers to any of the questions as I'm really stuck. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ABand98
Hi, I like thousands of year 11s am at the stage of the year where I'm beginning to choose my a levels but I'm struggling to decide and I have a number of questions. The careers/choices advice at my current school is c**p and id appreciate any answers. Bit of background: I have decided I definitely want to take Maths and Physics, two subjects I enjoy a lot in year 11. But I have only managed to narrow my remaining to choices to 3 subjects, chemistry, further maths and history. I'm heavily leaning towards chemistry but I'm caught in a dilemma between the other two. Id love to take further maths but I'm worried that will narrow my university options down to engineering or maths and I'm not sure if I will be good enough to do further maths. How hard is further maths? I'm predicted A* in maths and most of my other gcses but I was told at an open evening you need to be a near-genius to get a good grade, is it wise for me to take it and does it narrow my options too much? I could take history but it seems a bit useless when there is so much overlap between maths/physics/chemistry. Id rather do further maths but wont history open up more options? I'm sorry for rambling on a bit but I'd appreciate answers to any of the questions as I'm really stuck. Thanks

I am in the 2nd year of doing maths, further maths, chemistry and history so I can give you the positives and negatives of the two. Predicted A A* A* A.

If you are good at maths then I would recommend further maths, you dont have to be a genius to do it in fact I am finding Further maths easier and better than normal maths. It doesn't narrow down your universities as I am applying to do law and only very few universities request an essay based subject.

History wise I find it interesting but the marking is very subjective to each examiner so I find it harder than further maths.

To be honest it depends on what you wish to do in the future as some course require a certain subject as long as you do that subject the other three don't matter as to which subject you do. Do three that you enjoy and will do well in.

Hope that helps
Reply 2
Original post by Iloveginjas
I am in the 2nd year of doing maths, further maths, chemistry and history so I can give you the positives and negatives of the two. Predicted A A* A* A.

If you are good at maths then I would recommend further maths, you dont have to be a genius to do it in fact I am finding Further maths easier and better than normal maths. It doesn't narrow down your universities as I am applying to do law and only very few universities request an essay based subject.

History wise I find it interesting but the marking is very subjective to each examiner so I find it harder than further maths.

To be honest it depends on what you wish to do in the future as some course require a certain subject as long as you do that subject the other three don't matter as to which subject you do. Do three that you enjoy and will do well in.

Hope that helps

Thanks a lot, that's helped a lot 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest