The Student Room Group

Still unemployed after nearly a year graduating!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uni=RipOff
I have mentioned several times, there are no gaps, I am self employed in the property field, the self employed side has got me to interviews etc as my knowledge within housing/property is ace as well as experience. What I am frustrated about is the lack of jobs and the very high number of applicants per bloody job - 141:1! And for the record I have not menitoned that I am not willing to relocate. I have tried abroad and in the UK. Restricting yourself to a particular area is ridiculous, as majority of the jobs are down south in and around the capital.

All you can do is continue to apply for anything you can and increase your odds of getting a job. No other way really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 121
Spelling does matter it shows you dont know the difference between US and UK spelling - if you think it doesnt matter then there is something wrong up there. No employer would want someone who doesnt understand basic literacy.

Copy and paste of the job description? Again mouthing off without knowing the facts. If you think I am doing something wrong in oppose to the fact that there are countless people applying to jobs then again something is wrong up there. One of the phone interviews I had with a company said "We normally dont do phone interviews but we had 141 applications for this role and therefore have amended the process to eliminate at phone interviews" - if you think 141 individuals for 1 job is pretty normal - again shows your lacking basic common sense.

You might be talking about unis matter for graduate programmes but they dont matter for normal jobs. Someone who has studied the approved 5 year medical course at a lower uni will be in the same position as someone who studied it at a top 10 uni, as the course is approved by BMA and/or medical associations.

1. Someone wrote about how they saved large amounts of job descriptions and still failed to get the job. I thought it was you but after looking at your previous post, I was wrong (or maybe you just deleted it), but wait... you've been mouthing off without knowing the facts for the past few days.

2. I agree that the system is harsh at the moment (when did I say there is nothing wrong - so many extreme assumptions), but rather than cry here about the uncontrollable factors, you should spend time improving the areas that are in your control - CV/cover letter/interview skills/read the news, etc.

3. Not really relevant to your post, but I love competition - on average, the graduate jobs I applied had over 300 people applying, I got through most of them before I turned them down due to getting the job I wanted most (which had 500 people? applying for 1 position).

4. Using your example of medical student, it's true that they might both end up in the same position, but the student from the lower tier medical course will have less chance to get into a better/more popular hospital. ALSO, you are just thinking in short term, in the long term, where you study also affects your career progression (disclaimer: before you go all nuts over this comment, this is not the only factor they'll affect it)

5. I never implied that the world is easy, I reckon I had a hard time applying for jobs, although not as difficult as some on this forum. All I'm saying is you're not doing it right/ trying hard enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
OP, I understand that it's frustrating to leave university and realise that jobs aren't very available - we're told all our lives that if we work hard and go through that sausage machine, it will pay off and we won't have to work at mcdonalds. So it's a harsh slap in the face when leaving college and there's so much competition for jobs AND you are overqualified for mcdonalds so you get overlooked for more 'loyal' employees. I get that, I understand.

However your attitude having read the entire thread really stinks. It's not going to get you anywhere and you may actually be putting people off from giving you some good advice, purely because your ego emulates everything else in the thread.

Having said that, it took me a year to find a job after uni, as it did my sister. From my experience, what really helped was showing that you were doing everything you can to keep bettering yourself.

As another person said, a big gap on your cv looks bad. I would try and do a bit of volunteer work - it did wonders for me as mine was with a small social enterprise doing basic data entry. However, I tried to ask them for more responsibility and even just shadow them for a bit etc in their other divisions, so I could learn something and, crucially, have something of substance to talk about in my interviews. They ended up offering me a job there, which I turned down

I'm not saying you should do this OP, but really anything is good as long as it shows willing.

When it's so harsh out there and you are just a number to people, networking really does pay off.

And I suggest you stop being so defensive and stop calling everyone 'mate' because you are doing yourself no favours. It's just rude. You're 25, you should display a little bit more maturity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
OP, I realise you have a bit of entrepreneurial experience..

If you're getting interviews too, I would actually question how well you interview! Perhaps get someone close to practice interview questions with you - they may pick up on something obvious that you might not have.

I found that I said "um" too much.. And 'I think..." But it took me recording myself and someone else to tell me so before I realised it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Original post by TheBigGeek
What class was your degree? Which uni did you go to?

I can only assume there is a reason OP keeps evading this question.
Reply 125
Hello all, time for a rant :angry: !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too! :frown:

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)

Should have worked harder at school and done a good course at university or gone to Oxford or Cambridge.
Go and try it and come back and tell me. Have you not read the latest stories? Some grads end working in Tescos or other small places and 7years later are in the same role due to lack of time. Doing 2-3hours a day on the computer when not working 40 hours can be very tiring, and your trying to tell me it is possible 2-3hours after a 6-9hour shift....

If you want to do something its possible. I work 45-50 hours a week as a manager in a hospitality venue. Plus an hours travel overall a day. I still manage to make applications and have an interview this week. 'No-time' is a ridiculous excuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Original post by Sigma44
1. Someone wrote about how they saved large amounts of job descriptions and still failed to get the job. I thought it was you but after looking at your previous post, I was wrong (or maybe you just deleted it), but wait... you've been mouthing off without knowing the facts for the past few days.

2. I agree that the system is harsh at the moment (when did I say there is nothing wrong - so many extreme assumptions), but rather than cry here about the uncontrollable factors, you should spend time improving the areas that are in your control - CV/cover letter/interview skills/read the news, etc.

3. Not really relevant to your post, but I love competition - on average, the graduate jobs I applied had over 300 people applying, I got through most of them before I turned them down due to getting the job I wanted most (which had 500 people? applying for 1 position).

4. Using your example of medical student, it's true that they might both end up in the same position, but the student from the lower tier medical course will have less chance to get into a better/more popular hospital. ALSO, you are just thinking in short term, in the long term, where you study also affects your career progression (disclaimer: before you go all nuts over this comment, this is not the only factor they'll affect it)

5. I never implied that the world is easy, I reckon I had a hard time applying for jobs, although not as difficult as some on this forum. All I'm saying is you're not doing it right/ trying hard enough.

Oh thought you wasn't going to reply? Hmm. Yes I "save job descriptions" but dont apply to them, I am retarded and sad. Simple maths and common sense, which you severely lack, would show you for each job one applies you generally save the application AND job description, so I got 300files divide that by 2 pal, that is 150 applications. But of course you sound like a benefit scrounger who is known to all staf at the local job centre for the past 10years.
Reply 128
Funny how I am being annihilated for moaning that there is a lack of jobs and high number of applicants, albeit whilst am not on benefits, self employed, and stil hunting for a job, whilst there are milions of people who refuse to work in this country cos they get more in benefits and take the easy approach.
Reply 129
Funny how I am being annihilated for moaning that there is a lack of jobs and high number of applicants, albeit whilst am not on benefits, self employed, and stil hunting for a job, whilst there are milions of people who refuse to work in this country cos they get more in benefits and take the easy approach.

Where does moaning get you, exactly?

You're being annihilated because you seem completely closed to change or help, and you're throwing unecessary insults at people.
Hardly endearing you to employers in the real world, if that aspect of your personality seeps through in interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 130
Oh thought you wasn't going to reply? Hmm. Yes I "save job descriptions" but dont apply to them, I am retarded and sad. Simple maths and common sense, which you severely lack, would show you for each job one applies you generally save the application AND job description, so I got 300files divide that by 2 pal, that is 150 applications. But of course you sound like a benefit scrounger who is known to all staf at the local job centre for the past 10years.

I'm quite sure my common sense is better than yours based on your posts here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2506337

If it's too challenging for you to find the link to apply for the graduate programme, once someone replies to your post, I recommend you to not bother trying - it's just going to be a waste of time for both parties.

I don't know how working 50-60 hours (as said in my first post), have spare cash to spend on lessons, and saying you're not trying hard/smart enough makes me sound like a benefit scrounger, I guess I'm not as special as you my logical thinking is not as good as yours, sorry :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 131
OP what were you hoping to get from this thead? i think some people have raised some very valid points only for you to completely shoot them down and not even consider their point of view.
Reply 132
Economics? Good luck with that. You seem to be also disillusioned by the fact the more unis offer the course the better it is. Think about it, if you got some brains you should have doing economics, law is offered at all unis in the UK - how many law graduates does that equal to EACH year? Tens of thousands if not more (same will be with economics)! Optometry is another limited course, last time I checked it was about 8-10 unis offering it, do you think there is a "reason" (negative), as you are implying, for Optom too? I hope you do know what Optometry is! Heard of climate change, pollution, emissions, the running out of resources for future generations, renewable energy? And for the record pal, it doesnt matter what Uni you go to, no employer looks at the fact "oh he went to a top 15 uni" - they dont give a monkeys about that. That was in the 70s/80s where it was all-Oxford/Cambridge thing. You seem to be lacking basic business acumen if you think going to a top 15 uni is going to help. What you looking to enhance your business by going to a top 15 uni or going to seek work elsewhere where an employer is going to be "chuffed" about your top 15 uni? If certainly the latter your business will be a flop, your pack of lies are lacking basic logic too. End of convo.

:facepalm2:
Reply 133
I am planning on doing an engineering degree. Please tell me that I won't end up like OP?
Reply 134
Original post by WGR
I am planning on doing an engineering degree. Please tell me that I won't end up like OP?

If you differentiate yourself enough, you'll unlikely end up like OP.

In a nutshell, you differentiate yourself by:

1. Getting relevant work experience.
2. Participating/leading extra-curricular activities (ie. clubs/societies) that are related to the industry you want to enter OR demonstrate desirable skills such as leadership, problem solving, etc.
3. Winning competitions - although it kinda related to 2.

Loads of my friends did engineering (including myself) and to my knowledge, we all either got a job in <6 months time or went to do further studies.
Reply 135
Original post by Sigma44
If you differentiate yourself enough, you'll unlikely end up like OP.

In a nutshell, you differentiate yourself by:

1. Getting relevant work experience.
2. Participating/leading extra-curricular activities (ie. clubs/societies) that are related to the industry you want to enter OR demonstrate desirable skills such as leadership, problem solving, etc.
3. Winning competitions - although it kinda related to 2.

Loads of my friends did engineering (including myself) and to my knowledge, we all either got a job in <6 months time or went to do further studies.

Cool, thanks. Did they go to fancy universities? Because I'm not going to a fancy university.
Reply 136

I would rip into anyone that's a benefit utiliser, this isn't just to have a crack at you. But to be fair, you kind of did put yourself out there open for scrutiny by posting. Reading all this negativity from the people on here won't help you because you'll start to believe the labels you get given. Get rid of this thread, and make a change to your life from now. Degree's aren't everything, as many self made people have shown. Good luck dude.
Reply 137
Original post by WGR
Cool, thanks. Did they go to fancy universities? Because I'm not going to a fancy university.

Most of us went to russell group universities with a few who went to top 40-60 ones. Which one do you plan to go?
Reply 138
I graduated this year, and can't find the job I need because of bloomin' NHS fund cuts thanks to our very own David Cameron. It's rather annoying when so many foreign workers have come into the field in the UK whilst people who are born and brought up here are in such difficulty.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against immigration. I'm just annoyed that those who are born and brought up in Britain aren't given priority for Job vacancies. Foreign workers contribute much to our field, but to make unemployment rife because of an uncontrolled influx thereof is stupid (Labour was to blame here) - and the Conservatives only made the problem much worse by stunting the careers of Britain's own graduates.

/End of rant.
Hello all, time for a rant :angry: !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too! :frown:

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)

Lol... You know there's 12 months in a year right?

Btw are you claiming JSA? Might as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending