The Student Room Group

When to apply for funding?

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm from the US and the process is different here. I have applied to 5 UK universities (for a PhD) and am planning to apply for scholarships. Should I do that now? Or wait until I (hopefully) get accepted somewhere? The applications seem to let you do it before you are accepted, but that seems kind of weird to me.
Reply 1
Apply as soon as any system will allow - if it states that you can apply before being accepted, then that's fine. It's better to have the funding and no acceptance, than be accepted and have no funding.

In any case, PhD funding in the UK is highly competitive and some is allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Apply as soon as any system will allow - if it states that you can apply before being accepted, then that's fine. It's better to have the funding and no acceptance, than be accepted and have no funding.

In any case, PhD funding in the UK is highly competitive and some is allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis.

What subject are you doing - makes a huge difference when it comes to funding#
Reply 3
I'm on the Humanities side - funding rare as hen's teeth! But ultimately, when you should apply will be driven by the regs of each scholarship on offer, whatever field you're in. If it states that you can apply before being accepted, then I don't see any reason to delay.
Reply 4
Definitely apply as soon as you can. Some funding deadlines may expire before you get your offer.
Reply 5
Ok, thanks! I'm in social policy (crosses into sociology and politics depending on university). Guess I'll start applying for the ones I can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending