The Student Room Group

It's going to get very cold, quite soon - are you prepared?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Especially the young ones, which are more tender.

Just don't eat the livers.
As long as I get my Breaking Bad seasons tomorrow, I'll be fine...
3 degrees isn't exactly extremely cold...
Original post by n00
Just don't eat the livers.

But they are the best bit, especially with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Reply 124
But they are the best bit, especially with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

True, but the hangover is a bitch.
Original post by n00
True, but the hangover is a bitch.
Woof.
Reply 126
It'll just be like any other day in Scotland when the big freeze hits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Temperatures are going to PLUNGE according to the media, from Monday and for several weeks. :afraid:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/17/scotland-snow-uk-weather

It will fall as low as 3 degrees in many areas and there may even be snow over northern hills. :excited:

Are you ready for this extreme weather?

Are you nonchalant? :flute: Will you be huddling up? :grouphugs:

Things you will need.

* Shovels, grit, warm gloves and warm coat

* Husky team - public transport generally halts after the first flurry of snow

* Extra supplies of milk and digestives :cookie:

* Large selection of DVDs - it will be impossible to leave home :couchpotato:

******* YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED *********

This was a TSR public service announcement. Do not engage in unnecessary panic. Engage in necessary panic.

Pah, i still have the window open (though that's mainly because the heating is time set and i'm a Scotsman).

Anyhow, good thread to have an you avoided the sensationalist tabloids.

In regards to the pattern, the cold front is currently moving south through today..

The best chance of snow behind is of the showery variety in western Scotland, north west England and northern Ireland.

The best chance of snow for the bulk of the country however could be Wednesday as a shortwave moves south however it will be pretty marginal so it's hard to tell how this will turn out and i believe the Met are currently leaning towards a snow to rain event below 200m.

Thursday and Friday do see winds veer north easterly however it's not the most unstable flow so i expect snow amounts to be limited although there is potential for showers along the east coast (if the flow is right you can get a Thames streamer but that's unlikely given the lack of instability). At the same time high pressure does begin to build over the UK however it does trap cold air underneath producing an inversion which will likely retain frost and fog for the bulk of the UK..

The longer term is very difficult to judge. The current cold spell is entirely tropospherically driven against a background of a below average stratosphere temperature (very bad for a cold winter as it strengthens the polar vortex). It appears that tropospheric pattern is the result of wave breaking and a collapse in angular momentum. There is still wave breaking seen below and the potential for the stratospheric vortex to split (ideal) however the stratosphere is not easy to forecast.

At some point one of these has to break. Either the stratosphere will split and warm or it will take over and the pattern will reset to the zonality seen in October, the result of this battle will likely determine the general pattern through the second half of December.

For now though, enjoy the cold blast.
Reply 128
Woof.

Nausea, vertigo, hair loss, cramps, skin peeling off in sheets, extreme fatigue, dysentery, delirium, and convulsions often leading to death is no laughing matter!!!1
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by n00
Nausea, vertigo, hair loss, cramps, skin peeling off in sheets, extreme fatigue, dysentery, delirium, and convulsions often leading to death is no laughing matter!!!1

You're describing my daily life, there.
Reply 130
Oh man, why did I read this. Missing my Scottish hills, sitting in a pub with some friends and a nice Single Malt while outside the storm makes the windows shake.

Sucks living down under with temperatures around 25°C right now. And no, this is no joke.
Original post by Sir Fox
Oh man, why did I read this. Missing my Scottish hills, sitting in a pub with some friends and a nice Single Malt while outside the storm makes the windows shake.

Sucks living down under with temperatures around 25°C right now. And no, this is no joke.

I agree. Some people are just not built for heat.
Reply 132
It's that ****ing wind chill that annoys me the most.
Original post by IDukem
It's that ****ing wind chill that annoys me the most.

But your sig says you like the wind...
Reply 134
But your sig says you like the wind...

No it doesn't.
Original post by IDukem
No it doesn't.

Well, it implies your intention to ride it which, given that that is not a compulsory act in any way, suggests a positive attitude towards doing such a thing and consequently a more positive attitude towards actual wind itself than your post states. But forgive me. Clearly, light-hearted banter isn't on the agenda today.
Reply 136
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If a single snowflake falls, all schools will immediately close.

This amounts to a national tradition now. However, there is always one holdout school (generally somewhere mad like mid-Wales or the Cairngorms) that insists on staying open, even though the kids have to be dug out from snowdrifts in the playground.

No this is my old school in York! We dug the buses out from the snow on 2 occasions and even had icicles inside the school on one. we even stayed open through a broken boiler in sub zero temperatures. 6 closures in 64 years speaks for itself.
Reply 137
Well, it implies your intention to ride it which, given that that is not a compulsory act in any way, suggests a positive attitude towards doing such a thing and consequently a more positive attitude towards actual wind itself than your post states. But forgive me. Clearly, light-hearted banter isn't on the agenda today.

Or it's a just a song lyric from the song 'Ride The Wind' from a band named Poison :tongue: The song is positive, but it's about some dude riding a motorcycle along the road and possibly feeling the wind from that ride. Although I'm sure you know more about the song than the band who created it though. You are forgiven, forgive me for not knowing your banter.
Original post by Rakas21
Pah, i still have the window open (though that's mainly because the heating is time set and i'm a Scotsman).

Anyhow, good thread to have an you avoided the sensationalist tabloids.

In regards to the pattern, the cold front is currently moving south through today..

At some point one of these has to break. Either the stratosphere will split and warm or it will take over and the pattern will reset to the zonality seen in October, the result of this battle will likely determine the general pattern through the second half of December.

For now though, enjoy the cold blast.

I love these forecasts, we are so lucky to have our own TSR weather forecaster, Rakas21! :colondollar:

Are you hoping to work for the Met Office or similar? :smile:
Reply 139
I never perused the Maths or Physics A levels required to go for meteorology and to be honest i prefer it as a hobby.

If i could get a job in the commercial department of the Met Office though that would be the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply

Latest