The Student Room Group

Help with mechanics

hello,
Can someone help me with this question: A car is traveling at on a horizontal straight road at 12m/s when the brakes are applied. locking all four wheels. The coefficient between the wheels and the road is 0.8. Find the distance traveled by the car before it stops.Thank You
Original post by npnguyen94
hello,
Can someone help me with this question: A car is traveling at on a horizontal straight road at 12m/s when the brakes are applied. locking all four wheels. The coefficient between the wheels and the road is 0.8. Find the distance traveled by the car before it stops.Thank You

What's the problem you're having?

If it's the lack of mass, call it "m" and proceed as usual. It will cancel out.
Original post by npnguyen94
hello,

Draw a diagram, what forces are acting?
Use Newton's second law to find the (negative) acceleration
Use suvat to find the distance.
Reply 3
Sorry for hijaking your thread (didn't want to make a new one!)

But in M2, my book says that the greatest displacement of a particle occurs when it's velocity is zero. I get this if its straight up and down, but this is along a line????
Reply 4
Original post by physicso
Sorry for hijaking your thread (didn't want to make a new one!)

But in M2, my book says that the greatest displacement of a particle occurs when it's velocity is zero. I get this if its straight up and down, but this is along a line????

It probably means that if you're travelling along a horizontal line, when you come to a stop (after travelling) you will be at greatest displacement from the starting point.

Eg. you roll a bal along the floor, when it comes to a stop it's at it's farthest distance from you.
Reply 5
Original post by brianeverit
Draw a diagram, what forces are acting?
Use Newton's second law to find the (negative) acceleration
Use suvat to find the distance.

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest