The Student Room Group

to what extent can will smith be called a star- film studies a2

needed help on my a2 coursework presentation about to what extent can will smith be called a star considering his method acting in ALI and his performance in persuit of happiness and seven pounds and his star persona.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by pri99
needed help on my a2 coursework presentation about to what extent can will smith be called a star considering his method acting in ALI and his performance in persuit of happiness and seven pounds and his star persona.

Thanks

Hello pri99 :smile:

I've moved this thread to the film studies area - hopefully you'll be more likely to receive a response :smile:
Original post by pri99

I'm not sure that any of that except his 'star persona' bears on the extent to which Will Smith can be called a star.

To determine whether X is or isn't a Y, you need to identify sensible criteria for what is a Y - "method acting" isn't the criterion of whether someone is or isn't a star.

Will Smith has been successful in three fields of entertainment - music, tv,and film. I should say he's a huge star but you'll want to be looking for data including...

Length of time in the industry.
Box office performance of movies in $$$
Salary, and where this places him in the Hollywood hierarchy of male leads.
Awards and nominations.
Billing when acting alongside other big names.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending