The Student Room Group

Are ethnic minorities insecure about their British identity

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by de_monies
I didn't say they're fairer,but I get the impression (Nothing backed up) that they're pretty tolerant, after the whole Breivik thing, there were lots of reports about community cohesion over there :smile: Though Sweden has it's fair share of extreme right wing MP's

True, personally been raised in Sweden my whole life, therefore I have a Swedish nationality and I approve of what you've mentioned above. They're a bit more tolerant as compared to the UK.
My ethnicity was not given such importance throughout my whole life there with the exception of airports, but it was until I moved to the UK I had encountered various people assuming that I was from my country of origin, however their assumptions dropped after hearing my Swenglish accent.
Yes, Swedish MP's with this particular view are on the increase, as many immigrants are seeking a Swedish passport and citizenship without speaking any basic Swedish nor being interested in their culture.
Reply 101
Original post by Spring24
True, personally been raised in Sweden my whole life, therefore I have a Swedish nationality and I approve of what you've mentioned above. They're a bit more tolerant as compared to the UK.
My ethnicity was not given such importance throughout my whole life there with the exception of airports, but it was until I moved to the UK I had encountered various people assuming that I was from my country of origin, however their assumptions dropped after hearing my Swenglish accent.
Yes, Swedish MP's with this particular view are on the increase, as many immigrants are seeking a Swedish passport and citizenship without speaking any basic Swedish nor being interested in their culture.

But why would you associate with Sweden, it's just a crappy little northern patch of snow, mountains and pine tress.
Reply 102
Original post by Verana
But why would you associate with Sweden, it's just a crappy little northern patch of snow, mountains and pine tress.

Well, its the perfect environment for tree-huggers just like me. However the contrast between the countries by some means is what makes this country an intriguing place to reside.
Original post by Ggmu!
Do you honestly think he West would be capable of anything without the foundations of virtually EVERYTHING that came from India, China and Persia? Ashoka's human rights predate anything in the West.

Civilisation begun in the East and was exported to the West.

Unfortunately, the East has generally been in turmoil in the time the West has moved ahead. I can't say I know much about ancient China and Persia, but Indian development was hugely thwarted by Mughals, and then the British.

While in their own lands, Western countries have prospered, they have often played God with entire countries and populations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I don't think I ever said that the West developed from no foundations. Of course they did. That doesn't really contradict my claim though, which is that the West has been the primary defender and creator of freedom, prosperity and general human dignity in the past few centuries. It also doesn't mean that the West hasn't been hypocritical, but hypocrisy alone does not negate the achievements or the fact that we should acknowledge what a pivotal role for good that the West has played.
I'am pretty sure about my identity.

I love Britain for the opportunities it has provided me and my family but I was born and raised in Pakistani and will always be a lot more attached to the latter.
Reply 105
theyre not then
Reply 106
Original post by Zürich
Well at least you can admit that your presence is parasitic and destructive.

Also many countries suffered from worse colonialism, South Korea/Singapore for example, and just highlight the complete failure of the Islamic world to achieve anything other than violence, ignorance and poverty. Poland's cities were literally destroyed to rubble in 1945 and then spent 45 years under extremely destructive Soviet rule. And yet again their society is infinitely superior to that of countries like Iran which have had nowhere near as much destruction imposed. Think about that.

You ever been to Iran or are you just spouting rubbish based on what your Zionist media have fed you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by felamaslen
That's commendable, but the Iran of today is not the Persian empire, and the Iran of today is a disgrace to humanity.

I would say Western Imperialist nations like the US and Britain are more of a disgrace to humanity. With the millions of people they have killed, countries they have invaded, interference in other nations affairs, rape and murder of innocent women, forcefully imposing their 'democracy' on nations that don't want 'democracy', supporting illegal and criminal states like Israel with billions of dollars in aid and diplomatic support, imprisoning Muslims without trial in brutal conditions list goes on and on and on and on.

When will Westerners realise their sheer humiliating hypocrisy?
Reply 108
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Good old British culture, no adab (manners).

Do you really think that? When someone bumps in to you, do they not usually apologise?. Have you never dropped something in the street and had someone pick it up for you? Ever been helped with directions in a new area? Britain (for the most part) seems like it values politeness. I'm not the kind of person who blindly thinks British culture is the greatest out of some stupid notion of patriotism either. I don't know where it ranks in comparison to other cultures, but for most of society it's not 'broken Britain' or whatever the current buzzword is. It is a nice place to live and settle down with a family, isn't it?
(edited 10 years ago)
The US and UK played a massive role in the Cold war, and they were on the right side against the totalitarian Soviet empire. I think that also deserves high praise, don't you?

But you're right about the Iranian people vs. the Iranian regime; I have nothing against the Iranian people and don't think for a second that the regime is representative, because it is not a democracy. When I said the "Iran of today", I meant how it is run, i.e. its government. I should have been clearer there.

Well the USSR was a pretty unpleasant system for sure - however the USA used this war to topple loads of governments in the name of defending against communists (which were rarely a serious threat). The list includes Iran, Chile, Brazil, the Congo, Ghana, Angola to name but a few. In terms of violating other sovereignty the US was worse than the USSR - domestically of course it was better.
Original post by Basiji
You ever been to Iran or are you just spouting rubbish based on what your Zionist media have fed you?

Iran is not a civilised place atm. I had neighbours growing up who considered themselves Persian who could tell you a few stories about the regime, nothing against the people just the Islamic fundamentalism.

Not a Zionist at all, Israelis are the scum of the Earth.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Iran is not a civilised place atm. I had neighbours growing up who considered themselves Persian who could tell you a few stories about the regime, nothing against the people just the Islamic fundamentalism.

I'm not attempting to join the debate, but if you are referring to Israeli people, that assertion really is unacceptable. You may feel good to be in a position to call millions of people "scum" whilst living in the comforts of your home, yet insulting an entire nation, with citizens who could not control or did not choose to be Israeli makes you seem rather ignorant. Poverty and living inside a corrupt political system does not devalue a human being. Insulting people due to their background, quite frankly, does.
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I'm not attempting to join the debate, but if you are referring to Israeli people, that assertion really is unacceptable. You may feel good to be in a position to call millions of people "scum" whilst living in the comforts of your home, yet insulting an entire nation, with citizens who could not control or did not choose to be Israeli makes you seem rather ignorant. Poverty and living inside a corrupt political system does not devalue a human being. Insulting people due to their background, quite frankly, does.

Obviously not referring to the Israeli man on the street, but the people they elect. I've met a few Israelis in London and their political beliefs are somewhat unpalatable(essentially Jewish supremacists) to say the least but obviously this is not true of all Israelis.
Original post by Zürich
Obviously not referring to the Israeli man on the street, but the people they elect. I've met a few Israelis in London and their political beliefs are somewhat unpalatable(essentially Jewish supremacists) to say the least but obviously this is not true of all Israelis.

I believe that I might have interpreted your post rather literally. I do apologise.
Original post by frogs r everywhere

I believe that I might have interpreted your post rather literally. I do apologise.

No my fault entirely, realise it count be interpreted as an attack on a group of people. Someone accused me of being a Zionist, and I responded that Israelis were the scum of the earth. It was implied that this was about the government and their policies, but I should have been clearer :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by Zürich

Yea that's cause they're liars. It makes their asylum application stronger if they lie and exaggerate about the current establishment. It's a very civilised place, very beautiful country with nice friendly people who treat tourists like royalty. They're just trying to demonise Iran cause they're butthurt about the 1979 Iranian revolution. I wonder if these 'neighbours' even lived in Iran long enough to tell these 'stories'. Boils my blood.

Glad we're on the same page about Zionists.
Reply 116
Original post by Zürich
If you dislike the culture so much, why do you choose to live here? You would not be missed if you left to the glorious, cultured, enlightened Islamic world...

Surely if he was born in the UK he has a right to express his point. Why is it when someone who is brown, and has a muslim name, comes out and expresses these opinions, bigots like you immediately say "go to a muslim country". THIS IS HIS COUNTRY. He was born here!

Clearly you deem someone British by the colour of their skin. I've never heard anyone British condemn Nick Griffin for his opinions which are far from those of mainstream Britain. No one says "go to another country". But it seems fitting that you should say that to a muslim who was born here.

People like you who are supposedly (I'm assuming) young, liberal, open minded and say they are in no way xenophobic or bigotted come out and say **** like that are the most hypocritical people I can think of.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by darius12345
Well the USSR was a pretty unpleasant system for sure - however the USA used this war to topple loads of governments in the name of defending against communists (which were rarely a serious threat). The list includes Iran, Chile, Brazil, the Congo, Ghana, Angola to name but a few. In terms of violating other sovereignty the US was worse than the USSR - domestically of course it was better.

Not saying the US was perfect in its conduct of war, but I would rather have my country's sovereignty violated by a free country than have a leader sympathetic with the fascist or communist cause. Maybe the US was overzealous, but they were still by far the superior side in that war and their impact was still overwhelmingly positive. Sometimes when you consider the people they were fighting against, the US and its allies look like heroes.
Reply 118
Sometimes I feel like this: gustavo-perez-firmat.jpg
Not saying the US was perfect in its conduct of war, but I would rather have my country's sovereignty violated by a free country than have a leader sympathetic with the fascist or communist cause. Maybe the US was overzealous, but they were still by far the superior side in that war and their impact was still overwhelmingly positive. Sometimes when you consider the people they were fighting against, the US and its allies look like heroes.

this is simply not true I am afraid, the US used the threat of communism to justify an extraordinary amount of coups and wars that left millions dead. the USSR were tyrannically domestically - but they only really intervened in Afghanistan. take as a case in point Iran (where I was born). Iran in the early 1950s was actually a secular democracy with a constitutional monarch which was the culmination of something called the iranian constitutional revolution and modernization by the second to last shah reza shah (a great man who I consider one of the best of Iranina leaders unlike his son). this government was led by PM Dr. Mossadeq - his only crime was wanting to nationalize the oil fields - something that the UK was hugely against because they creamed off all the profits. Mossadeq himself was actually very anti-Communist and a member of the Qajar royal family - so it was access to Iranian resources and a denial of our self-determination not the USSR that led to the US/UK/Mullah/Monarchist coup. Iran was never going to ally with Russia - in fact at the time Russia was very unpopular for stealing Iranian territory and their efforts to colonize us. the long term consequence of this was a catastrophic disruption to our natural development politically and the descendants of one of the world's oldest and greatest civilizations being held hostage by theocrats.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending